Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Not entirely correct. According to Nikka, Coffey stills are only being suspended in Japan market. They will continue to be sold in the USA.
Good thing I ordered 5 bottles of Nikka 12 this trip. I am planning on ordering more. I really like this blend. It's way better than Hibiki Harmony and an only age statement bottle that wouldn't break your bank!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
Good thing I ordered 5 bottles of Nikka 12 this trip. I am planning on ordering more. I really like this blend. It's way better than Hibiki Harmony and an only age statement bottle that wouldn't break your bank!
Agreed, it's a great regular drinker. My only complaint is the bottle and box is so big, it takes up a lot of space to stuff in my luggage
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:09 am

Hi, just joined this forum. Any idea / advise if i order whisky from rakuten Japan to singapore, besides the delivery charge, do i need to pay GST and also alcohol tax before i collect the items? If need, how much? TIA
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
I kinda lucked out. I ordered those Hibiki 17 and Hibiki minis right before they announced the discontinuation and shipped them to my buddy's house and stored there. I paid around ~Y18000 for a full size and ~Y1000 for mini each back then. The Yamazaki NAS I found them at a local Lawson just 3 weeks ago in Japan for Y1200 each. Cleaned it up (4 total) and they never restocked it after that. I stopped by many convenient stores but never see Yamazaki or Hakushu NAS around after 2017,
I saw Hakushu NAS mini in FamilyMart in January this year. 5 bottles at the same time. It is in Kobe. Go figure.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
I actually think Hibiki Harmony is better. Depends on your personal taste.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Narita empty

Monday morning flight out of Narita Term 2. Absolutely nothing available from higher end Hibiki, Yama or Hakushu. No sightings of the Chichibu travel retail left either. Tried every store.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:24 pm

Where are some places we can get the mini bottles of Hibiki in Osaka/Kyoto area?

Do they sell the mini bottles in NRT airport?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:26 pm

Limited release at Nihombashi at the weekend
rustykettel and 7473chad like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by daizawaguy

Limited release at Nihombashi at the weekend
Very nice! Did you buy them all!? Good to see they are still selling them at the retail prices!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by invalyd
Agreed, it's a great regular drinker. My only complaint is the bottle and box is so big, it takes up a lot of space to stuff in my luggage
I've seen The Nikka 12 sold in a new, slimmer box, in some stores. I still like the bigger box for gifts.
invalyd likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:40 am

daizawaguy

Thanks for the heads up. Got 5 of the last seven Yamazaki minis, while the guy in back picked up the remaining two.
7473chad likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:14 am

Talking

Originally Posted by PastisDetox
daizawaguy

Thanks for the heads up. Got 5 of the last seven Yamazaki minis, while the guy in back picked up the remaining two.
I popped in today, the top shelf they had used over the weekend was filled with other stuff, and only the Yamazaki`s left at lunch time - 10 or so. I grabbed 3, and you must have cleaned them out after me! No guessing who cleaned out the Hibiki 17`s...
7473chad likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Where are some places we can get the mini bottles of Hibiki in Osaka/Kyoto area?

Do they sell the mini bottles in NRT airport?

Thanks!
No minis sold at Japan airports. Finding any Hibiki 17s in the wild is random and rare.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by 7473chad
No minis sold at Japan airports. Finding any Hibiki 17s in the wild is random and rare.
That's for sure - there is an article on Forbes which explains why the mini was priced cheaper than equivalent of 1/14th (50ml/700ml) - it was to encourage tasters. Takashimaya told me today they had the stock from two years ago, and finally decided to release it. Japanese department stores can only sell at retail, and cannot limit orders - so it was a bonanza at the weekend.

BTW, BIG is now out of Hibiki, and a walk through Ginza has the Hibiki Blenders Choice from 14,800 (Mountain) to 24,000 (forget, but think it was Sokuhai) - compared to the retail of 10,000 as seen at Hasegawa once in December and January.
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Hasegawa is now forcing customers to buy Miyagikyo NAS if they wish to purchase a NFTB (which is already a little overprixced) A shame they've resorted to sleezy tactics to move unwanted bottles. They also bumped the price of Nikka 12.

The owner told my buddy they won't be getting any more Blenders Choice, hopefully he's mistaken , not holding my breath.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.