Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Reply

Old Oct 23, 18, 7:45 am
  #946  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Sorry, but you are incorrect. I bought several bottles of Yamazaki 12 (not NAS) at Shinanoya this year for 9k. I've also known people who have purchased Hibiki 17 from them last month, but I guess you would say they haven't had that in stock either??
May I ask which shinanoya? I sometimes stop by one in the suburbs, and I've catched at best a couple of Hakushu NAS.
Always honest prices anyway, they charge RRP (less actually, 4100JPY+tax).
GC93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:53 am
  #947  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by GC93 View Post
May I ask which shinanoya? I sometimes stop by one in the suburbs, and I've catched at best a couple of Hakushu NAS.
Always honest prices anyway, they charge RRP (less actually, 4100JPY+tax).
This was at Shinjuku. I think it's a good store to make a relationship with if you speak Japanese, they would maybe hold a bottle for regular customers.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 18, 1:36 am
  #948  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
Just flew ANA biz class from SFO and they are no longer serving H17 minis but went back to pouring from the big bottle. Never been so disappointed to be handed a large glass of Hibiki 17
Duke787 and IndyHoosier like this.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 18, 10:42 pm
  #949  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 337
Gonna have a couple of hours to roam around in NRT on a late afternoon. I'm assuming the Nikka 12 is widely available? I will still keep the Suntory Hibiki, Yamazaki, and Hakushu in mind though (if by chance they can be found and prices are OK)
seks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 18, 12:21 am
  #950  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,573
Originally Posted by seks View Post
Gonna have a couple of hours to roam around in NRT on a late afternoon. I'm assuming the Nikka 12 is widely available? I will still keep the Suntory Hibiki, Yamazaki, and Hakushu in mind though (if by chance they can be found and prices are OK)
Didn't see Nikka12yo anywhere when I was at NRT last month (~830am in T2 ahead of flying NRT - ORD on JL). Only thing I saw was Yoichi NAS and Miyagiko NAS (though both very well priced compared to both Ginza and of course the US).
Duke787 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 18, 3:41 pm
  #951  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
You won’t find Nikka 12 at the airport but can get it at any other liqour store easily.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:52 am
  #952  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Internet
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Just flew ANA biz class from SFO and they are no longer serving H17 minis but went back to pouring from the big bottle. Never been so disappointed to be handed a large glass of Hibiki 17
Best Japan Airlines biz class could offer Australia to Japan was Hakushu NAS (I assume, based on menu as I refrained this time - will be a different story flying home!). *sigh* Been 2 years since being in Tokyo - it was fairly dry then, and now very, very dry in most places for anything close to decent. Ended up ordering some Kavalan from Amazon for a fraction of what I'd pay in Australia.
Enigma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:25 pm
  #953  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Well, my flight (DL Economy class) heads out Friday morning DTW to NGO. I plan to enjoy any of the Woodford or Jack that remains by the time beverage service gets to 22B. Does Japanese whisky get served to the plebs in coach?

I plan to hit a few liquor stores in Kyoto and Nagoya (I'll pick up some Wild Turkey 8, Nikka From the Barrel, Yamazaki 12 if its around), maybe swing by the Yamazaki distillery to see if I can get in to the tour on Sunday and pick up the distillery only bottle. I hope also to pick up a couple Nikka Gold & Gold Samurai bottles at duty free at NGO for my return trip. I have friends who really want a bottle of this for their drinking & displays.

Edit - Oh, by the way, I see Macallan 12 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel as options, or are those only available in Delta One?
Duke787 likes this.

Last edited by DGibb; Oct 30, 18 at 12:45 pm Reason: Added another question
DGibb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 7:23 pm
  #954  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Internet
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by DGibb View Post
maybe swing by the Yamazaki distillery to see if I can get in to the tour on Sunday and pick up the distillery only bottle
Tours get booked weeks in advance, but cancellations happen all the time (Sundays are probably popular though). Check the website regularly. When I went to Hakushu 2 years ago they had a shop anyone could go to, and pretty sure it had the distillery only bottle (limit 1 per person). Assume Yamazaki is the same. But what you really want is the tastings at the bar - top shelf at rock bottom prices.

Nikka From The Barrel is pretty common so shouldn't be hard to find. On Amazon too if you want it delivered to convenience store (easy to do once you get the hang of it) - seen it range from Y2500 to Y3800. Remember, it's 500ml not 700ml.
Enigma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 8:26 am
  #955  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
I tried to book the tour within an hour of the times being released for reservations on September 3rd. It was booked almost immediately. I plan to try to see if there's a cancellation, otherwise I'll have a check out the distillery bottle, have a few tastes and be on my way.

I thought I thought that NFTB is around 1,800-2,200 yen? Or is my info out of date? It must be...

The hunt begins this weekend!
DGibb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 8:51 am
  #956  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TYO
Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by seks View Post
Gonna have a couple of hours to roam around in NRT on a late afternoon. I'm assuming the Nikka 12 is widely available? I will still keep the Suntory Hibiki, Yamazaki, and Hakushu in mind though (if by chance they can be found and prices are OK)
The Nikka 12 years is available at select liquor shops and higher end supermarkets. A very good value (under 6000 yen) in my opinion and my current go to gift for overseas friends. Most have never seen or tasted it.
groovbusta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:37 pm
  #957  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,573
Originally Posted by DGibb View Post
Well, my flight (DL Economy class) heads out Friday morning DTW to NGO. I plan to enjoy any of the Woodford or Jack that remains by the time beverage service gets to 22B. Does Japanese whisky get served to the plebs in coach?

I plan to hit a few liquor stores in Kyoto and Nagoya (I'll pick up some Wild Turkey 8, Nikka From the Barrel, Yamazaki 12 if its around), maybe swing by the Yamazaki distillery to see if I can get in to the tour on Sunday and pick up the distillery only bottle. I hope also to pick up a couple Nikka Gold & Gold Samurai bottles at duty free at NGO for my return trip. I have friends who really want a bottle of this for their drinking & displays.

Edit - Oh, by the way, I see Macallan 12 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel as options, or are those only available in Delta One?
No Japanese whisky on DL flights. Woodford or Jack only in Y, Macallan is D1 only
Duke787 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:38 pm
  #958  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Thanks for the update. Woodford it is, then.
DGibb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 6:14 pm
  #959  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SJC
Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Tours get booked weeks in advance, but cancellations happen all the time (Sundays are probably popular though). Check the website regularly. When I went to Hakushu 2 years ago they had a shop anyone could go to, and pretty sure it had the distillery only bottle (limit 1 per person). Assume Yamazaki is the same. But what you really want is the tastings at the bar - top shelf at rock bottom prices.
I'm going to Yamazaki in a couple of weeks - what is the "distillery only" bottle? And from a drinking perspective, do I want it?

The tastings look dangerously attractive! The last price list that I found online had an incredible selection, with everything up to the 21 year olds at well under 1000 Yen each, and only the 25YO and above are significantly higher (but still extremely reasonable).

Last edited by JHunter; Oct 31, 18 at 7:07 pm
JHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:39 am
  #960  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
removed
Duke787, IndyHoosier and DGibb like this.

Last edited by invalyd; Nov 13, 18 at 3:38 pm
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread