Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Reply

Old May 15, 18, 1:01 am
  #781  
formerly staff
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: MPC, KF, BAEC // SPG, WoH, Honors
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
15k + depending on where you found it.
Thanks. What are some of the more reliable retailers in Tokyo in terms of having stock?
Kilian Zoll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 18, 2:17 am
  #782  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
It gets worse

BOTG Hibiki 17 and Hakushu 12 are being cut from June according to this Japanese news source

(Iím not allowed to post links, or screenshots it seems)

If you google
サントリー「白州12年」「響17年」販売休止へ ウイスキー人気で熟成した原酒が不足
it has the full article details

(if someone could be kind enough to link!)

Last edited by armagebedar; May 15, 18 at 5:33 pm Reason: formatting
tenof26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 18, 10:00 am
  #783  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll View Post
Thanks. What are some of the more reliable retailers in Tokyo in terms of having stock?
read the thread and good luck
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 18, 11:18 am
  #784  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beantown! (BOS)
Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Posts: 2,165
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Sad news today as Suntory officially announces they will discontinue Hibiki 17 as of September. Better stock up soon.
Last trip in December I had the choice between a 21 and 17, opted for the 21, wish I picked them both up now...
Suntory has announced that beside Hibiki 17 Years also Hakushu 12 Years will be discontinued. Predicting Hakushu 12 Years will run out of the stock around June and Hibiki 17 Years will run out of the stock around September. However, if people start buying spree due to discontinuation of the product those may run out of stock earlier.
AlwaysAisle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 18, 3:06 pm
  #785  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
Hakushu 12 also discontinued

Suntory also announced they are discontinuing Hakushu 12. This was surprising as this was the one somewhat affordable age-stated product they had. Time to stock up!
Ikegawataro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 18, 10:23 pm
  #786  
formerly staff
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: MPC, KF, BAEC // SPG, WoH, Honors
Posts: 1,013
Just picked up 4x bottles of Hakushu 12 at around USD $100 each. Will be interesting to see if/how the value changes over the next 6 months or so.
Kilian Zoll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 18, 10:25 pm
  #787  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Ikegawataro View Post
Suntory also announced they are discontinuing Hakushu 12. This was surprising as this was the one somewhat affordable age-stated product they had. Time to stock up!
I knew about this back in April so I have been stocking up on both Hibiki 17 and Hakushu. The prices for those have shot up overnight after the official announcement. Good luck finding them at reasonable prices. A full bottle of Hakushu 12 is currently selling for outrageous 90,000 yen and Hibiki 17 mini is 10,000 yen online!! Just ridiculous....
james21_h is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 18, 11:09 pm
  #788  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
Just went to my local shop in SF which always has stock and the price of Hibiki 17 bumped from $299 to $599 overnight.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 9:12 pm
  #789  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UFO
Posts: 34
Yamazaki won't be releasing Limited Edition 2018. I was looking forward to it. As of right now, their final annual LE release is the Limited Edition 2017...
Ndsleep612 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 18, 12:34 am
  #790  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Ndsleep612 View Post
Yamazaki won't be releasing Limited Edition 2018. I was looking forward to it. As of right now, their final annual LE release is the Limited Edition 2017...
Yup, another great whisky is now gone! I still have a full set of Yamazaki LE 2014-2017. And I just bought 3 more bottles of LE 2017 at a reasonable price last month fully expect them not releasing 2018. I guess my guts is right this time!
james21_h is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 18, 12:02 am
  #791  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TYO
Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Posts: 131
Looks like people are trying to "sell high" in Japan. On the day of the news, checked out Japanese auction sites and had a few dozen listings for Hibiki 17, mostly single bottles. A couple of those listings with multiple bottles for sale ended and price was about 50,000 yen per bottle. One auction was for two bottles (with boxes) ended at 102,000 yen and another auction for six bottles ended at 270,000 yen.

Checked again today and there are over 300 listings for Hibiki 17 and many listings for multiple bottles. One auction for 6 bottles started at 240,000 yen and another listing for 12 bottles is asking 500,000 yen, with a "buy it now" price of 1,000,000 yen. Unreal prices but good luck to sellers.
groovbusta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 18, 11:10 am
  #792  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by groovbusta View Post
Looks like people are trying to "sell high" in Japan. On the day of the news, checked out Japanese auction sites and had a few dozen listings for Hibiki 17, mostly single bottles. A couple of those listings with multiple bottles for sale ended and price was about 50,000 yen per bottle. One auction was for two bottles (with boxes) ended at 102,000 yen and another auction for six bottles ended at 270,000 yen.

Checked again today and there are over 300 listings for Hibiki 17 and many listings for multiple bottles. One auction for 6 bottles started at 240,000 yen and another listing for 12 bottles is asking 500,000 yen, with a "buy it now" price of 1,000,000 yen. Unreal prices but good luck to sellers.
Yup, Hakushu 12 is like that too. It's currently being auctioned for over 40,000 yen a bottle!! Just nuts. Well, they both were pretty hard to find in Japan before the news broke out. Luckily I knew about this discontinuation like a month and half ago so I was able to stock up Hakushu 12 for some decent prices.
james21_h is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 18, 11:40 am
  #793  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by james21_h View Post
Of all places I have looked in Japan, I finally scored on my favorite Japanese whisky, the Yamazaki 18, in the US this weekend for $249 a bottle! Which is actually cheaper than in Japan if you find it! Got two bottles. Supper happy!! Japan is really not a place to hunt for those highly sought after (i.e. Yamazaki 12,/18, Hakushu 12/18) bottles anymore... Hibiki 17/21 might be the only ones worth hunting if you can get it close to MSRP.
Well I can confirm this. I bought a Yamazaki 18 online yesterday for $318 shipped. Couldn't believe my eyes, I've never seen it below 40k yen + tax in all my travels to Japan. Even Dekanta increased the price from $599 to $769. I think Japan is officially one of the worst places to pick up aged statements these days. I have a trip this month and I am expecting it to be completely dry, hopefully I can at least fine a Yamazaki 2017 LE on the shelves.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 18, 7:10 am
  #794  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Anyone had some luck in Osaka or Kyoto recently?

Hi guys,
im heading to Japan in 2 days and was wandering if anyone had recently visited Osaka/Kyoto and could advise me where I could try my luck?
A few years ago I found the Hakushu 12 and the Taketsuru 17 very good priced. Lost all the info of the shops when I switched phones so I hope someone can give me some tips. Thanks!
Gael Sarris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 18, 6:01 pm
  #795  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UFO
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Gael Sarris View Post
Hi guys,
im heading to Japan in 2 days and was wandering if anyone had recently visited Osaka/Kyoto and could advise me where I could try my luck?
A few years ago I found the Hakushu 12 and the Taketsuru 17 very good priced. Lost all the info of the shops when I switched phones so I hope someone can give me some tips. Thanks!
I was in Osaka a few months ago. There aren't any lowest price/cheapest bargains/super sale price for the aged stuff anymore. Many shops have been cleaned out. It's better to enjoy your vacation and happen to come upon stuff "by chance" rather than waste your entire vacation just hunting.

If you have TOO MUCH time, you can always try visiting the same shops "daily" to see if they have anything new.
Ndsleep612 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread