Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jpdx
Note that counts of 1-2 on this site may represent phantom availability, and places that have 10+ may have some reserved for bars or regular customers. The site shows the unsold, but not necessarily correct and available, inventory.
^Explains what I've seen. I've figured that 1 or so but nothing on the shelf was due to just missing it. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: Anything that still flies F
Here has been my experience so far:

Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto

Failures: Pretty much nothing of note at any BIC Camera or Don Quijote stores, my significant other wanted to kill me after about the first 10 saying "why do we come look here when there is never anything around?". Lots of Chita and Hakashu everywhere, Nikka 12 being the best thing here.

Successes: Kawasaki-ya outside Kuromon Ichiba market was out of Yamazaki 18 and Hibiki 21 but they do carry it based on the signs on the shelves, but did have Hibiki 17 for about 11K; Yamazaki 2016 Special edition was about 15K. In Kobe I found a liquor store (english name I could not find) that had a couple bottles of some more exclusive stuff at not-to-unreasonable prices; Taketsuru 17 for 13K, Miyakigo 10 for 10K, Taketsuru 21 for 17K, Akashi 8 year sherry cask 6K. Some others.

Tokyo

So far haven't found anything of note yet. Went to BIG in Ginza as suggested here, and there was absolutely nothing except signs saying "we do not carry stock of Hibiki/Yamazaki 17/18/21". Was going to ask before I saw this, but figured this was because of all the FTers coming in

Going to check out a couple more places before I leave in a couple days; frankly a little tired of walking in only to see NAS Hakashu/Chita/Hibiki and other random Suntory products but I guess when in Japan...the search must continue.

Hibiki 30 and Yamazaki 25 are around just not willing to pay the 300K for it.

Interesting side note: wanted to try a lot of Sake while I was here and did tasting at a couple breweries in Kobe and Nara, but by far the best was Dassai Beyond (flagship Dassai for those of you who have tried the 50/39/23). While its $300 USD a bottle even here in Japan, they have a tasting room in Ginza (not far from BIG) that will pour you a wine sized glass for $5. Not sure how the math works out for them there but my companion and I sat there for a good hour drinking this exquisite sake and paid $35 at the end of the day. Worth it just to try!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
A co-worker had asked me to pick up a Hibiki 21 for him if the opportunity presented itself. Randomly noticed it yesterday in the lobby gift shop of the Hotel Nikko Princess in Kyoto for Ą29,160, or Ą27,000 after tax rebate.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
A co-worker had asked me to pick up a Hibiki 21 for him if the opportunity presented itself. Randomly noticed it yesterday in the lobby gift shop of the Hotel Nikko Princess in Kyoto for Ą29,160, or Ą27,000 after tax rebate.
Any chance you could get me one too? Live in the SF Bay area! The one thing I have been looking for with no luck...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
Any chance you could get me one too? Live in the SF Bay area! The one thing I have been looking for with no luck...
Unfortunately, I was already no longer in Kyoto when I posted that and now not even in Japan :-/ on my way back to the US. They did seem to have multiple bottles available though, if you can find another connection.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:16 pm

I just came back from Osaka and it's as dry as a desert for the aged versions of the usual suspects, Yamazaki, Hibiki, etc. Kansai Airport - Terminal 2 had the duty free versions of Yamazaki 18/Hakushu 18 in full force for the same prices as Narita. (My budget airline was at T2, T1 had more stuff but I wasn't able to get in this time)

Even NAS versions of Yamazaki were no where to be found. Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough in the super small shops, but rather the usual suspects, DonQi, Bics Camera and the massive department stores.

Prices were typical for what you can find back here in the states for the Coffey grain malts. Only thing decent of aged statement was Nikka 12, which was readily found everywhere.

Very disappointed with my whisky hunt. Then again I was able to try Yamazaki 2016 special at a bar and found it to be very good.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: None
Help locating yamazaki 12/18

Hi ,

Will be in Tokyo end of the week and was hoping I could get some insight as to where to buy yamazaki 12/18 at a reasonable price. Any idea which locations might have stock?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Ndsleep612
I just came back from Osaka and it's as dry as a desert for the aged versions of the usual suspects, Yamazaki, Hibiki, etc. Kansai Airport - Terminal 2 had the duty free versions of Yamazaki 18/Hakushu 18 in full force for the same prices as Narita. (My budget airline was at T2, T1 had more stuff but I wasn't able to get in this time)

Even NAS versions of Yamazaki were no where to be found. Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough in the super small shops, but rather the usual suspects, DonQi, Bics Camera and the massive department stores.

Prices were typical for what you can find back here in the states for the Coffey grain malts. Only thing decent of aged statement was Nikka 12, which was readily found everywhere.

Very disappointed with my whisky hunt. Then again I was able to try Yamazaki 2016 special at a bar and found it to be very good.
Agreed, I went to so many places and rarely found anything of note.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by sunildeta
Hi ,

Will be in Tokyo end of the week and was hoping I could get some insight as to where to buy yamazaki 12/18 at a reasonable price. Any idea which locations might have stock?

Thanks!
What is reasonable? I only found one bottle of 12 and it was over $100 USD (which is more than I can find it for back home). Yamazaki 18 only saw a couple times for the ever-ridiculous $400+ price tag.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
What is reasonable? I only found one bottle of 12 and it was over $100 USD (which is more than I can find it for back home). Yamazaki 18 only saw a couple times for the ever-ridiculous $400+ price tag.
My benchmark for "reasonable" would be 10-20% off what I can get at home, and I saw practically nothing at that level during my 3-week trip to Japan a few weeks back (see detailed report on previous page). IF a Donki has Yama/Hak 12 at 8500, or BIC Camera has Yama/Hak 18 at 25000, I would consider buying. But it's a matter of luck; you can look at dozens of stores without finding a single bottle.

I think what's reasonable and widely available is the Nikka 12 (4500-ish) and mini bottles of Hibiki 17 (as low as 680) and Yama/Hak 12 (as low as <600).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think what's reasonable and widely available is the Nikka 12 (4500-ish) and mini bottles of Hibiki 17 (as low as 680) and Yama/Hak 12 (as low as <600).
Nikka 12 isn't bad. One of my buddies brought me back a bottle last year and it was pretty decent.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ndsleep612
Nikka 12 isn't bad. One of my buddies brought me back a bottle last year and it was pretty decent.
I'd say it's worth bringing a bottle back for the simple fact that it isn't available in the US.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Hi ,

Thanks!
Why don't you try reading the thread? You'll quickly learn that nobody can provide you with real-time store inventory, and any store that has it for a "reasonable price" will likely be sold out by the time you arrive. Happy hunting.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:41 pm

Hi ,

Thanks!
If you set your time traveling DeLorean to the year 2012, you should find plenty, at a reasonable price, anywhere you go.

P.S. the next time someone posts this question, everyone's answer should just be a page of LOL's!
Old May 1, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Hi ,

Thanks!
Managed to get a bottle of the 18 Year Old Yamazaki from the Yamazaki Distillery Shop nr Kyoto ( You need to ask as it's hidden away) for 27,000Yen.....

They also had the Hibiki 30 Year Old for 135,000 Yen.

After some hunting, found the Hibiki 17 Year Old in a back street Liquor Shop in Kyoto for 15,800 Yen... The Gold labeled one.
Same shop has the Yamazaki 12 Year Old and at least one more Hibiki 17 Year Old & 21 Year Old. Will update with prices if I can find the phone pictures.

Last edited by MHendo84; May 1, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.