Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: armagebedar
Wiki Link
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 11, 15, 6:47 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,830
Flew ex-HND today just a quick update.

They were out of a ton of things (pretty much every single Yamazaki and Hakushu with the exception of NAS "The Yamazaki Single Malt."

They were also out of the Hibiki 17 (which is what I wanted) at 8000Yen however they had the limited edition Hibiki 17 (as far as I can tell the only difference was the custom bottle) for 11000Yen which I bought (with the exchange rate that comes to ~$90 which is still a steal vs. $150 before shipping and tax from various sources in the US).

They also had Hibiki 21 at 16500 Yen which I also grabbed since the premium over the limited edition 17 seemed small and worth it vs. getting 2 limited edition 17s.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 15, 7:15 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Left
Programs: FT
Posts: 7,285
Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
Flew ex-HND today just a quick update.

They were out of a ton of things (pretty much every single Yamazaki and Hakushu with the exception of NAS "The Yamazaki Single Malt."

They were also out of the Hibiki 17 (which is what I wanted) at 8000Yen however they had the limited edition Hibiki 17 (as far as I can tell the only difference was the custom bottle) for 11000Yen which I bought (with the exchange rate that comes to ~$90 which is still a steal vs. $150 before shipping and tax from various sources in the US).

They also had Hibiki 21 at 16500 Yen which I also grabbed since the premium over the limited edition 17 seemed small and worth it vs. getting 2 limited edition 17s.
great choices. i would have grabbed the 21 also. price for it was a steal IMO.
mkjr is offline  
Old Mar 15, 15, 7:16 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,830
Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
great choices. i would have grabbed the 21 also. price for it was a steal IMO.
Agreed. I should also emphasize I went to every department store on Ginza as well as Yamaya in Shinjuku (near HR where I was staying) and none of them had the 17 in stock. They all had 12 and then most had the Yamazaki Single Malt NAS as well as the Nikka 12yo and 17 and 21 Taketsuru.

Ended up getting the new Nikka 12yo from Yamaya (about 800 Yen cheaper than department stores) to supplement the Hibiki's though I was hoping to find the Puncheon or Bourbon Barrel Yamazaki and didn't see those anywhere.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 15, 5:51 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,168
I flew through NRT last week and the Duty Free shops on the JAL side of the airport were sold out of Hibiki 21, 17 and 12. There were three bottles of Hibiki 17 in the fancy bottle. After I left, there were two.

One of the people at the shop told me that after March, there would be no more Hibiki sold at Duty Free. Take that with a grain of salt.
abraxis is offline  
Old Apr 9, 15, 6:45 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOS, Latin America
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 712
Duty Free Japanese Whisky at NRT

This might not be the place for this post, in which case moderators can move it, but want to give a heads up to whisky fans transiting NRT that Suntory has MASSIVELY repriced it's duty free whisky. The $35 bottle of 12 year Hibiki I used to buy is now $80. Same stuff inside with a "duty free limited edition" bottle.

Total hogwash and regret not buying a bottle of whisky when I was in Tokyo all week at the old $35 plus consumption tax. But at least I hope others won't make the same mistake.
Ceasy is offline  
Old Apr 10, 15, 12:42 am
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Ceasy
This might not be the place for this post, in which case moderators can move it, but want to give a heads up to whisky fans transiting NRT that Suntory has MASSIVELY repriced it's duty free whisky. The $35 bottle of 12 year Hibiki I used to buy is now $80. Same stuff inside with a "duty free limited edition" bottle.

Total hogwash and regret not buying a bottle of whisky when I was in Tokyo all week at the old $35 plus consumption tax. But at least I hope others won't make the same mistake.
Blame the chinese for buying out all the stock since december
kaka is offline  
Old Apr 10, 15, 4:31 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Posts: 1,855
Supply & Demand at work I suppose. Why settle for $35 when you'll still sell more than you can make at $80?
shuigao is offline  
Old Apr 10, 15, 6:11 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NCL
Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Posts: 790
You would never of guessed it was overpriced judging by the queues when I passed through last week. Never seen duty free so busy at 8am.

Decided to give it all a miss and head straight for the lounge.
DaveNCL is offline  
Old Apr 10, 15, 6:24 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Left
Programs: FT
Posts: 7,285
Originally Posted by Ceasy View Post
This might not be the place for this post, in which case moderators can move it, but want to give a heads up to whisky fans transiting NRT that Suntory has MASSIVELY repriced it's duty free whisky. The $35 bottle of 12 year Hibiki I used to buy is now $80. Same stuff inside with a "duty free limited edition" bottle.

Total hogwash and regret not buying a bottle of whisky when I was in Tokyo all week at the old $35 plus consumption tax. But at least I hope others won't make the same mistake.
when exactly was it 35?

sure, i remember buying bottles of lagavulin in the mid 90s at LHR for US$40 bucks also.

perhaps this will explain why.

http://www.japanese-whisky.com/about...panese-harmony

[BTW, as i posted above, you can buy it for US$64 at astor in the US.]

Last edited by mkjr; Apr 10, 15 at 7:03 am
mkjr is offline  
Old Apr 10, 15, 9:45 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Update on Hibiki in Tokyo

Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Not quite at HND/NRT or duty-free, but when researching places to buy in Tokyo for my dad, I kept stumbling across recommendations for this place in Tokyo Station:

www.liquors-hasegawa.com

Easy enough to stop in if you're taking the N'EX to NRT.

Just spent the last few days searching for hibiki 17 in Tokyo in anticipation the airport duty free would not have any. For the record, I visited the Yamazaki distillery in kyoto this trip and even they didn't have any hibiki 17 available to sell in the gift shop, because of such high demand.
After many disappointing runs at the liquor stores, super markets and department stores in the last few days, here are the only successes we found.

Takashimaya: good abundance of Japanese whiskey on the shelf including many different nikka varieties. Hibiki 17 sells for 12,960 a bottle.

Liquors Hasagawa: went to several of their locations in Tokyo station to come up empty, however randomly came across the real liquor store in the station located across from Anclar Tapas near the street exit. Here they had everything including Hibiki 17 for 12,600.

Shocking how scarce it's become but still a great deal to buy in Tokyo and bring home. I saw Hibiki 17 going for $270 in NYC last month, so ~$100 is an exceptional deal for the smoothness found in Hibiki 17. Good luck fellow travelers.
Mitchydean0103 likes this.
tomzo is offline  
Old Apr 11, 15, 8:04 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Left
Programs: FT
Posts: 7,285
Originally Posted by tomzo View Post
Just spent the last few days searching for hibiki 17 in Tokyo in anticipation the airport duty free would not have any. For the record, I visited the Yamazaki distillery in kyoto this trip and even they didn't have any hibiki 17 available to sell in the gift shop, because of such high demand.
After many disappointing runs at the liquor stores, super markets and department stores in the last few days, here are the only successes we found.

Takashimaya: good abundance of Japanese whiskey on the shelf including many different nikka varieties. Hibiki 17 sells for 12,960 a bottle.

Liquors Hasagawa: went to several of their locations in Tokyo station to come up empty, however randomly came across the real liquor store in the station located across from Anclar Tapas near the street exit. Here they had everything including Hibiki 17 for 12,600.

Shocking how scarce it's become but still a great deal to buy in Tokyo and bring home. I saw Hibiki 17 going for $270 in NYC last month, so ~$100 is an exceptional deal for the smoothness found in Hibiki 17. Good luck fellow travelers.
Nice. Welcome to FT. Wow. Not even at the distillery.
mkjr is offline  
Old Apr 15, 15, 5:07 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 2MM, SPG Plat75
Posts: 1,885
My co-worker transited NRT and she said negative on Nikka 21. They had a Yamazaki 18 Limited Edition for $420 though. That's a steep premium for what I think is a fancy bottle!
Condition One is offline  
Old Apr 15, 15, 5:39 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Posts: 4,480
Am I the only one here who prefers some of the Ichiro's Malts to the Suntory products?

Have never seen Ichiro products at the airport, so I always buy them at one of the department stores.
mapleg is offline  
Old Apr 16, 15, 2:41 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
In HND yesterday on a stop-over. Say goodbye to Suntory Hibiki, Yamazaki and Hakushu... at least for a while.

ftex is offline  
Old Apr 16, 15, 10:17 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,830
Originally Posted by tomzo View Post
Just spent the last few days searching for hibiki 17 in Tokyo in anticipation the airport duty free would not have any. For the record, I visited the Yamazaki distillery in kyoto this trip and even they didn't have any hibiki 17 available to sell in the gift shop, because of such high demand.
After many disappointing runs at the liquor stores, super markets and department stores in the last few days, here are the only successes we found.

Takashimaya: good abundance of Japanese whiskey on the shelf including many different nikka varieties. Hibiki 17 sells for 12,960 a bottle.

Liquors Hasagawa: went to several of their locations in Tokyo station to come up empty, however randomly came across the real liquor store in the station located across from Anclar Tapas near the street exit. Here they had everything including Hibiki 17 for 12,600.

Shocking how scarce it's become but still a great deal to buy in Tokyo and bring home. I saw Hibiki 17 going for $270 in NYC last month, so ~$100 is an exceptional deal for the smoothness found in Hibiki 17. Good luck fellow travelers.
Wow. Now I'm wishing I grabbed a 2nd bottle of 17 when I was there in March (got it at HND). I'll be transiting Tokyo again in a few weeks and was planning on getting another 17, may have to reconsider or hope that a liquor store in Narita Town has it
Duke787 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: