Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Apr 20, 16, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by sucklingpig View Post
Thx for the rec on yamamoto in ebisu. Picked up a couple bottles of tk21. Tk17 all gone. I saw that tk25 too but man thats a hard price to justify.

I spent the whole day visiting don quixote, bic camera and other department stores in shinjuku, ginza, tokyo station, shibuya. Supply is bone dry for aged stuff.
Yeah, just visited Wine Shop Yamamoto and saw the Tks were cleaned out. Was that you?
Picked up the TK 25 last year when it was 60000 yen and the exchange rate was a lot more favorable. Was tempted to pull the trigger, but felt it wasn't worth it.

And you're right it's very slim pickings all over Japan. Got lucky finding a Hibiki 21, and a Yama 18. But that's it, otherwise just taking back a few Nikka From the Barrel as gifts.

Last edited by Jigen666; Apr 20, 16 at 11:27 pm
Old Apr 21, 16, 6:50 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Jigen666 View Post
Yeah, just visited Wine Shop Yamamoto and saw the Tks were cleaned out. Was that you?
Picked up the TK 25 last year when it was 60000 yen and the exchange rate was a lot more favorable. Was tempted to pull the trigger, but felt it wasn't worth it.

And you're right it's very slim pickings all over Japan. Got lucky finding a Hibiki 21, and a Yama 18. But that's it, otherwise just taking back a few Nikka From the Barrel as gifts.
Yep that was me. Gotta get whatever leftover scraps i can.

Do u know what the max limit is for bringing back whiskey back to US? Not taking about having to pay duty tax.

Thx
Old Apr 21, 16, 10:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG+Marriott Gold, OZ*G, DL Silver
Most I've ever tried bringing back to the US at once was a 4L bottle of Nikka Black I got at Costco. (yes, I'm a college student)
Old Apr 21, 16, 11:16 am

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yep that was me. Gotta get whatever leftover scraps i can.

Do u know what the max limit is for bringing back whiskey back to US? Not taking about having to pay duty tax.

Thx
Well, this is not Japan travel related, but same time this post is getting into... Talking about where to buy Japanese whisky is Japan Travel related? Already a lot talked about Costco at San Francisco area?

Returning U.S. citizens to the U.S., each person age of 21 or older is allowed one liter (33.7 oz. or 0.264 gal.) of alcoholic beverage as a personal exemption (i.e. duty free). Any amount beyond that will be subject to duty when returning to the U.S.

I think we should refrain from how much we got away (i.e. not following the law) type of posts. FlyerTalk will have no choice but to take action on this post which has grown to 25 pages long so far…
Old Apr 21, 16, 1:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG+Marriott Gold, OZ*G, DL Silver
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
I think we should refrain from how much we got away (i.e. not following the law) type of posts. FlyerTalk will have no choice but to take action on this post which has grown to 25 pages long so far…
I should note that I declared mine both at primary inspection and secondary at SFO. Didn't sneak it, clearly said "I have 4L of whiskey" and ticked the box that said I was (way) over my duty-free allowance of alcohol. Primary said it would be up to the officer at secondary, officer at secondary said "that's OK, but do you have any fresh fruits or vegetables?"
Old Apr 22, 16, 12:04 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamar View Post
I should note that I declared mine both at primary inspection and secondary at SFO. Didn't sneak it, clearly said "I have 4L of whiskey" and ticked the box that said I was (way) over my duty-free allowance of alcohol. Primary said it would be up to the officer at secondary, officer at secondary said "that's OK, but do you have any fresh fruits or vegetables?"
I've always honestly declared mine via GE and never had an issue even when it has exceeded the duty free allowance. Granted GE does help as typically I'm waved right through without so much as a second glance so it definitely is a YMMV situation.
Old Apr 22, 16, 8:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The amount of duty they need to collect if you are bringing back 4 liters is so minuscule that they don't want to bother with the time to do all of the paperwork. Over the years I have exceeded my allowance many times, always declaring of course, and have never been sent over to pay duty.

I'm sure it would turn out very differently if you were selected for a random inspection and they found 4 undeclared liters in your bag...
Old Apr 23, 16, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
Returning U.S. citizens to the U.S., each person age of 21 or older is allowed one liter (33.7 oz. or 0.264 gal.) of alcoholic beverage as a personal exemption (i.e. duty free). Any amount beyond that will be subject to duty when returning to the U.S.

May be subject to duty collection. Declare it, and you'll be fine, and even if they ask you to pay the duty, it won't be much (though you will need to pay it in cash or check IIRC--no credit cards).

Some states within the US have their own import restrictions; e.g. they may have limits on the amount allowed in. There are some threads on that now and again over in the Travel Safety & Security forums I believe.

I don't know why the mods would close the thread for people saying "I got away with not declaring," FWIW.
Old Apr 24, 16, 12:04 pm

I managed to bring 4.9L from japan. Declared it and customs didn't even bother to collect duty
Old Apr 24, 16, 11:31 pm
F 1

Plenty of stock right now of Taketsuru 17 and 21 at department stores around Nihonbashi in Tokyo. At least when i was there 2 days ago. Didn't see a single bottle of aged suntory product anywhere except for a couple 50ml bottles of Yamazaki 12 at Liquor Hasegawa, which I snagged.

On a related note, found quite a few places carrying Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique Single Cask and Kavalan Fino, both for reasonable prices! If you come up short finding something Japanese, consider one of these as an nice purchase as well.
Old Apr 25, 16, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by F 1 View Post
Plenty of stock right now of Taketsuru 17 and 21 at department stores around Nihonbashi in Tokyo. At least when i was there 2 days ago. Didn't see a single bottle of aged suntory product anywhere except for a couple 50ml bottles of Yamazaki 12 at Liquor Hasegawa, which I snagged.

On a related note, found quite a few places carrying Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique Single Cask and Kavalan Fino, both for reasonable prices! If you come up short finding something Japanese, consider one of these as an nice purchase as well.
Argh, just left tokyo couple days ago. Seems like the less popular areas has tk 17 and 21. Thx for the tip, will try next time.

Where and Did u remember the prices for the kavalan soloists?
Old Apr 25, 16, 10:21 pm

Anyone have any leads on a Hibiki 21 anywhere in Tokyo?

I picked up a 17 at Donki for 11,900 + tax.
Old Apr 26, 16, 7:22 am

So a quick update on my day:

I scoured a large amount of the department stores all the way from Tokyo Station up to Ikebukuro. Turned up empty handed on any type of vintage Japanese whisky - except at Mitsukoshi Ginza duty-free level I saw the limited edition Hibiki 21 for 50,000 yen. No thanks.

Don Quixote in Shinjuku was a tease - they had the price card for the Hibiki 21 displayed but didn't have any in stock. They had multiple bottles of Hibiki 17 for 11,990 yen + tax. The Roppongi and Asakusa locations also had multiple bottles for sale.

Checked out some of the bottle shops in Ginza/Ebisu recommended earlier on here and also came up empty handed. Did see a Hibiki 30 at one shop for the princely sum of 249,900 yen.
Old Apr 26, 16, 2:03 pm
F 1

Argh, just left tokyo couple days ago. Seems like the less popular areas has tk 17 and 21. Thx for the tip, will try next time.

Where and Did u remember the prices for the kavalan soloists?
Yes, the Misukoshi store at Mitsukoshimae Station was selling it for 19,980 JPY
Old Apr 26, 16, 10:47 pm

I guess Taiwan is still the best place to buy Kavalan since it's made over there. We picked up two bottles of Ex-Bourbon Solist Single Cask for $62 each on the flight back with 20% off discount for buying two bottles! Plus they each come with a little 50ml taster bottle as a gift. We went to couple of the kavalan retail stores and the distillery back in Feb, you won't find a better deal than buying from a Taiwanese commercial flight!! By the way, Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique Single Cask is $95 at the Kavalan stores in Taiwan but they all sold out. They told me the wait was about 1-3 months.

Back to Japanese whisky. I was fortunate enough to snag couple bottles of Yamazaki 12 at one of the total wine and more stores here in the US for $87 each after tax. They only had 3 bottles left and I grabbed 2 since I figure I got to leave a bottle for one japanese whisky lover. It was gone the same night. Now they have raised the price to $120 each after tax for the next shipment who knows when it comes in.... I picked up 2 The Nikka 12 (Y3900), Dante (Y3600), 2 Nikka from the barrel (Y2200), 2 Nikka tak 17 (Y4400), Hibiki 12 (Y6500), Iwai Wine Cask (Y2700), Nikka NAS (Y2700), 4 Miyagikyo NAS Old Version ($20 from a grocery store in Taiwan), Kavalan Sherry Cask Solist ($71), 2 Kavalan Ex-Bourbon Solist ($62) during our 3 months of traveling to Japan and Taiwan late last year and early this year before they raised the prices on JP whiskies AGAIN..... especially the Nikka Tak 17 & 21... I think I am set for next couple years.

Last edited by james21_h; Apr 26, 16 at 11:01 pm

Search this Thread