Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Originally Posted by Jigen666
If anybody cares, Yamazaki 12's have been spotted in Costco Burbank in SoCal. $68.99 each. I'm guessing they may be elsewhere, too.

Cheaper than what you pay for them in Tokyo right now.
Thanks for the head's up. I drove straight to my local Costco in So. San Francisco as soon as I read your post. No sign of them there. I'll try a couple more in the Bay Area this week to see if they appear.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by kyee
Thanks for the head's up. I drove straight to my local Costco in So. San Francisco as soon as I read your post. No sign of them there. I'll try a couple more in the Bay Area this week to see if they appear.
Here's a helpful hint. Go to the Manager's desk just past the cashier and ask him/her to check the stock at other local Costco's in the area. It will save you a trip. That's how I found the ones at Burbank (which is a 15 minute drive from the Los Feliz store).
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
Damn. Hats off to the buyer at costco for getting it and not ripping people off.
I talked to the Costco wine and Spirits people and they said they sell it at 5% more than what they pay for it
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by kyee
Let me know if you find any. I've tried all the SF and Peninsula Costcos. I've asked them to check other stores too.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by beardedmeerkat
I talked to the Costco wine and Spirits people and they said they sell it at 5% more than what they pay for it
Costco keeps a low markup due to their membership fees. But CA law requires them to sell alcohol to anyone with, or without, a membership.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
If anybody cares, Yamazaki 12's have been spotted in Costco Burbank in SoCal. $68.99 each. I'm guessing they may be elsewhere, too.

Thanks. I will check the ones in San Gabriel Valley.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:11 am

Dear Guys

I am looking for OLD SUNTORY Whiskey in Tokyo.
Do you know where in Tokyo I could go and pick them?
I check the narita free website and it is not listed there.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/asano/cabinet/suntorywhisky/sun-old-700.jpg
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Friend of mine called Burbank store yesterday and they said they had 8 in stock. He drove over and there was nothing...no sign or anything. A supervisor told him it was an inventory error
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

Amazingly, VA ABC stores often have had the Yamazaki 12, and they sell it for $84.99 (last time I bought a bottle, it was only $70, FWIW). I just did an inventory search, and none of the ABCs near my house have it listed online--which is amazing given every time I stop in, I see it. Guess they're getting hit, too, with challenging supply.

Originally Posted by k66473
Dear Guys

I am looking for OLD SUNTORY Whiskey in Tokyo.
Do you know where in Tokyo I could go and pick them?
I check the narita free website and it is not listed there.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp...un-old-700.jpg
I've never seen that in NRT Duty Free shops, but I have seen it in grocery stores in the greater Tokyo area. Hopefully someone else has more recent & more useful intel, but I recall seeing it at a grocery store in Kanagawa Prefecture (I forget the town itself--sorry!) last year. Unfortunately, as far as availability goes, those few months are an eternity...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
Friend of mine called Burbank store yesterday and they said they had 8 in stock. He drove over and there was nothing...no sign or anything. A supervisor told him it was an inventory error
That sucks! They had about 15 of there, when I picked up 3 of them. My guess is that somebody made off with a few using the 5 fingered discount.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Amazingly, VA ABC stores often have had the Yamazaki 12, and they sell it for $84.99 (last time I bought a bottle, it was only $70, FWIW). I just did an inventory search, and none of the ABCs near my house have it listed online--which is amazing given every time I stop in, I see it. Guess they're getting hit, too, with challenging supply.

I've never seen that in NRT Duty Free shops, but I have seen it in grocery stores in the greater Tokyo area. Hopefully someone else has more recent & more useful intel, but I recall seeing it at a grocery store in Kanagawa Prefecture (I forget the town itself--sorry!) last year. Unfortunately, as far as availability goes, those few months are an eternity...
Suntory Old (which isn't old) is pretty readily available at most big supermarkets. In Tokyo look for the Peacock Supermarket chain. You could also try Shinanoya.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:22 pm

Hey guys, I'll be leaving Tokyo from Narita in about a month's time. Not wanting to take chances on the availability of whiskey at the airport or lack of it should I say.

Was wondering if anybody here been to the Ginza Duty Free shop where you can place an order and collect it from the airport duty free? Are the chances of getting a bottle higher?

I am looking at either the Yamazaki 12 or Hibiki 12.

I will be heading to the distillery in the Kansai region but will not be buying a bottle there as it will be too troublesome as I move between cities.

Any inputs are well appreciated!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have a quick overnight on Friday on the way back to the states. Staying at the Hilton Shinjuku but get in early enough to hop around a bit. If anyone has recent insight / spottings of Hibiki 17 I would be grateful.

I'll also report back on NRT stocks after I pass through on Saturday on the way out

Last edited by Duke787; Mar 15, 2016 at 3:30 am Reason: updating incorrect autocorrect
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by ldx29
Hey guys, I'll be leaving Tokyo from Narita in about a month's time. Not wanting to take chances on the availability of whiskey at the airport or lack of it should I say.

Was wondering if anybody here been to the Ginza Duty Free shop where you can place an order and collect it from the airport duty free? Are the chances of getting a bottle higher?

I am looking at either the Yamazaki 12 or Hibiki 12.

I will be heading to the distillery in the Kansai region but will not be buying a bottle there as it will be too troublesome as I move between cities.

Any inputs are well appreciated!
You can not buy either of those at the distillery. Taste, yes. Buy, no way. The gift shop is a relic of what it once was. You should buy the single malt 300ml bottles and the limited editions at the w shop in osaka.

I only stumbled across some hibiki 17 today. I'll have to suck up the 11800 price. Not sure if they givetax free.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Duke787
Have a quick overnight on Friday on the way back to the states. Staying at the Hilton Shinjuku but get in early enough to hop around a bit. If anyone has recent insight / spottings of shining 17 I would be grateful.

I'll also report back on NRT stocks after I pass through on Saturday on the way out
I'm in shinjuku now. The bics suck for stuff of any vintage.

What is shining 17?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.