Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by james21_h
I think the US duty topic has been talked about here in the thread before. You always want to claim all the bottles you are bringing in. Every time I fly back to the US I bring more than 1L. In this case she was flying to Taiwan and claimed it. Paid only ~$10 USD for the 1.1L over the limit (1L). So yeah duty is really minimum.
As for your first question, I (we) have been buying Y18, H21 at RRP whenever we see them since early 2015 (currently have 19 bottles between the two, finished 4 bottles). Before 2019 I usually skip airport LE due to the higher price but now with price increase on regular bottle to Y33,000 and no where to be found here in Japan we just buy the airport LE. In this case we might just use couple bottles to cover our airfare.
Can any rare bottles be found on arrival in Japan, or are they for the departures only?
Two of us came back to Japan with a case of wine once, and the duty office seemed surprised we declared it. Duty was around ¥100-150/bottle I think.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Did she buy them for you to consume, sell or save for posterity?
What happens when she arrives in the US (assuming that is the destination)? The limit is 1 liter, right?
Has anyone ever been called out of the duty owed?
For duty-free it's 1L, but FAA/TSA rules cap it at 5L for anything above 40 abv. In theory, you can bring up to 5L if you're flying in and then just pay duty if you decide to declare. In my experience, how strictly they enforce the rules depends on the port of entry and the customs agent in front of you.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:38 am

The Hibiki Blossom Harmony 2022 has hit a few shelves since launch May 24th but with Daikokuya paying ¥30,000 (which is more than the 2021) the supply is a bit like Rolex steel sports models and the empty watch stand or shelves!

vg247 and seigex like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gradfly
For duty-free it's 1L, but FAA/TSA rules cap it at 5L for anything above 40 abv. In theory, you can bring up to 5L if you're flying in and then just pay duty if you decide to declare. In my experience, how strictly they enforce the rules depends on the port of entry and the customs agent in front of you.
Thanks for the advice. As you can tell I am not normally a Duty-Free customer.
One more novice question: If you buy DF on departure from Japan, take them overseas, pay tax if over the limit, then bring bottles back to Japan, is it necessary to pay over-limit duty to Japan too? Or are most people selling these Japan DF bottles overseas, so the issue rarely comes up?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:27 pm

The existence of Duty Free is based on the principle that you do not have to pay tax in the sellers country as it will be consumed in another. You would pay tax upon entry of the country at destination. Now if you reimport the bottles to Japan, this is your choice, but Japan has not received their share of the taxes, so yes they would tax you technically. There is no coverage of double taxation as the DF system was not designed for this. Liquor imported into Japan has tax consequences. Knowing this fact, you would want to bring in untaxed (tax free bottles) from an economic perspective. As a resident in Japan, there is no way the US or other authorities will know you are just passing through (and even if you were on holiday with plans to return to Japan) this is not a reason not to pay the tax, as you could sell the bottles while you are there. But if Yamazaki 18 or Hibiki 21 is available at Yen 50K but you can sell them Y100k/Y122k there is a fine margin left over anyways (https://kaitori.e-daikoku.com/liquor/whisky/yamazaki/)
THECLIPPERS and JapanFlyerT like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by chewy3
Found Hibiki 21 today at 740am (opening time is 7:30am) in HND terminal 3 near the ANA lounge for 50k yen.

I had to ask a staff member who looked in the back. They don’t put it out front apparently.
Cool, hope to purchase Hibiki 17/21 as well as Yamazaki 18 when Japan opens up for non-tour groups.

I wonder where to purchase good sought after Shochu....
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Not sure about Japanese customs, so I'll defer to daizawaguy. I have done something somewhat similar, where I bought something from DF and brought it back to my point of origin. Some years ago, a friend asked me to buy a substantial amount of DF accessories and cosmetics when I flew from Seoul to Osaka. The DF items basically stayed in my bag the whole trip. Korean customs didn't ask anything on my return. However, I can't remember if I did or did not declare the items.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
The existence of Duty Free is based on the principle that you do not have to pay tax in the sellers country as it will be consumed in another. You would pay tax upon entry of the country at destination. Now if you reimport the bottles to Japan, this is your choice, but Japan has not received their share of the taxes, so yes they would tax you technically. There is no coverage of double taxation as the DF system was not designed for this. Liquor imported into Japan has tax consequences. Knowing this fact, you would want to bring in untaxed (tax free bottles) from an economic perspective. As a resident in Japan, there is no way the US or other authorities will know you are just passing through (and even if you were on holiday with plans to return to Japan) this is not a reason not to pay the tax, as you could sell the bottles while you are there. But if Yamazaki 18 or Hibiki 21 is available at Yen 50K but you can sell them Y100k/Y122k there is a fine margin left over anyways (https://kaitori.e-daikoku.com/liquor/whisky/yamazaki/)
There is duty-free on arrivals, albeit limited, which suggests that they are really not concerned with where consumption is going to be done.

I figure a couple bottles don't matter to anyone, but in situations where there is such a markup it really can pay off to maximize purchases. As you said, the actual duty is nothing compared to the profit.

It really is strange how this market works. Normally such pricing gaps would shrink more as the manufacturers/sellers caught on.
daizawaguy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:03 am

Japan customs allows 3L or 3 bottles duty free. They don’t really care where the bottles were bought. Just stay with that limit you have nothing to worry about!
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
there is no way the US or other authorities will know you are just passing through (and even if you were on holiday with plans to return to Japan) this is not a reason not to pay the tax, as you could sell the bottles while you are there.
There is a CBP process called drawback that allows a refund of the import duties when the item is reexported. But it's not really set up for personal importation/exportation.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-a...tent_entity=en
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:39 am

I got the feeling the limit was Covid-inspired, to keep people spaced out rather than a concern about driving drunk.
The limit was there many years before Covid (or it was hiding very well). I strongly recall it being due to the fact that most people drive there and they needed to show "responsibility".
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Enigma
The limit was there many years before Covid (or it was hiding very well). I strongly recall it being due to the fact that most people drive there and they needed to show "responsibility".
Interesting observation - in Japan the place where alcohol is consumed and even a passenger can be held liable in the case of a drunken accident, so yes these establishments want to make sure they are legally removed from this as far as is possible, hence the warning signs of no drink and drive.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:55 am

Interesting observation - in Japan the place where alcohol is consumed and even a passenger can be held liable in the case of a drunken accident, so yes these establishments want to make sure they are legally removed from this as far as is possible, hence the warning signs of no drink and drive.
Agreed. Having a limit means nothing when a single 15ml pour can get you arrested. No doubt police in the area keep an eye out for out of town plates.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:05 am

Data point: Yamazaki is now allowing booking for a month in advance.
Tried to book a tour at Yamazaki at exactly 10:00am. Got on the waiting list at 10:03 and was number 3,500, with a wait estimated to be "7hrs". By 11am I was accepted off the list, but every spot for the next month was filled, both for tasting and tours.

This has happened to me twice now. It is frustrating that they keep you on the list when all the spots have already been filled.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:25 pm

Data point: Yamazaki is now allowing booking for a month in advance.
Tried to book a tour at Yamazaki at exactly 10:00am. Got on the waiting list at 10:03 and was number 3,500, with a wait estimated to be "7hrs". By 11am I was accepted off the list, but every spot for the next month was filled, both for tasting and tours.

This has happened to me twice now. It is frustrating that they keep you on the list when all the spots have already been filled.
I did the online booking at 1005. It was relatively easy to book, no waiting. I booked one tasting session and one tour session for the weekend I am visiting Osaka. Like you said everything was booked out around 1130. I booked couple sessions at Hakushu on Monday as well.
JapanFlyerT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.