Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by porphyra
Thanks for the lottery post and agree with AndyYamazaki that the odds seem pretty low. Anyways fingers crossed.

Alas Welcia stores are so few and far between for me. It seems like a hike to get to one. I did manage to get an Ichiro Grain and Malt (gold leaf) version at DonQi yesterday. It is priced normally at 3900 Yen however, strangely it was behind the locked glass case with their rarer insane priced stuff. Only had one bottle that I took home. This one also goes off shelves quickly even though it isn't really Japanese whisky. Didn't see any Hakushu there at all. Will look around my local stores.
I have two Welcia within 10 minutes drive. Might head over this evening!

Update: Both had none, and hadn't seen it for ages according to one guy. Plenty of NAS such as The Chita, Fuji-Sanroku, Koshu, AO World, Mars Maltage Cosmo.
AndyYamazaki likes this.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Mar 29, 2021 at 5:18 am
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by doenutt
is there any chance of getting this in the US?
Although the list price is Yen 8000, it is labelled 2021 and is in limited quantity production, and the first time cherry wood casks have been used.

There is a run on Hibiki NAS at the moment (believe it or not!) and my guess it will be listed Yen 12,000 to Yen 18,000 at launch on the secondary market - if its a limited run then the chances of getting any at a reasonable price is quite low I'd say. Japanese Harmony is being bid up like it's going out of production at the moment, crazy as it may sound, bottles are getting as scarce as the age statements - trading in lots of one or two bottles at a time, used to be in cases!
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Although the list price is Yen 8000, it is labelled 2021 and is in limited quantity production, and the first time cherry wood casks have been used.
That's not entirely correct, Suntory Essence series Vol 4 uses Sakura casks.

There is a run on Hibiki NAS at the moment (believe it or not!) and my guess it will be listed Yen 12,000 to Yen 18,000 at launch on the secondary market
Blender's Choice was around 30k after launch at a similar MSRP. I would expect it to be closer to that range.

Dekanta was selling pre-orders for $250 shipped to the US (later bumped to $350), ironically when all is said and done that may end up being one of the cheaper places to have purchased it.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 2:47 am

For all the pandemic has done to international travel, Japanese whisky has gone from scarcity to scarcity, and nothing is going to change this. The big thing with this Hibiki Blossom Harmony is that it is a limited edition and labelled 2021. Even though it is NAS, it will be seen as a limited edition of 2021, and I agree, will always be well bid. A bit like some of the Yamazaki or Hakushu LE`s. I`m a buyer and a keeper. Great marketing for Suntory to label these in years - a lot will be attracted by the addition of a year, and it replaces the age statement, sneaky but I can see their reasoning. I also believe that 21 years is going to go up in price and scarcity too, and this would be the sweet spot of the Hibiki range - pricey, but I`m betting my money this will be Yen 120,000 plus in a year or two. In fact, its already that price or more in many overseas markets, but still avaliable locally for Yen 58,000 to 72,000. Interested in any views on my thoughts...
Mizunara and AndyYamazaki like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:03 am

Price gouging tourist trap. But prices keep going up, so what the hell!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:04 am

For all the pandemic has done to international travel, Japanese whisky has gone from scarcity to scarcity, and nothing is going to change this. The big thing with this Hibiki Blossom Harmony is that it is a limited edition and labelled 2021. Even though it is NAS, it will be seen as a limited edition of 2021, and I agree, will always be well bid. A bit like some of the Yamazaki or Hakushu LE`s. I`m a buyer and a keeper. Great marketing for Suntory to label these in years - a lot will be attracted by the addition of a year, and it replaces the age statement, sneaky but I can see their reasoning. I also believe that 21 years is going to go up in price and scarcity too, and this would be the sweet spot of the Hibiki range - pricey, but I`m betting my money this will be Yen 120,000 plus in a year or two. In fact, its already that price or more in many overseas markets, but still avaliable locally for Yen 58,000 to 72,000. Interested in any views on my thoughts...

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. I’m not sure how high the value of the bottles will get in the long run but am pretty sure it will shoot up pretty quickly upon the release.
I’m personally not a big fan of the Japanese Harmony blend. Just too much grain from the Chita distillery for my taste. And given the number of dusty Chita bottles I see on shelves, this upcoming release will be a good way for Suntory to offload that stock. Add to that everything you just mentioned and it makes total sense for Suntory.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:06 am

What’s anyone’s take on the 21 Hibiki?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Had no luck looking for Hakushu 12 at a few local Bic Cameras, but it seems like they'll be doing their own lottery based on fliers I saw in-store.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mizunara
Had no luck looking for Hakushu 12 at a few local Bic Cameras, but it seems like they'll be doing their own lottery based on fliers I saw in-store.
I think BiC moved to all lottery for their allocated whisky, saw a few other department stores carrying them though.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:19 pm

Kirin`s sinlgle grain whisky called FUJI, launched last year targeting restaurants and bars is on the shelves at Kakuyasu. Around Yen 5000. Its the one wth Mt Fuji moulded into the bottom of the bottle, nit to be confused with Fiji sanroku.

(https://www.uisuki.com/en/kirin-fuji...gle-grain.html) Not much of this one in the press nor internationally...
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:18 am

I know of two places that have Harmony for about 12,000 (limit one per family). The only reason I would buy it would be as speculation, but even then I am reluctant. I still have a Hibiki 17 in the cabinet, bought for 7,000 ages ago.

Edit: I was referring to the regular Harmony, not the Blossom 2021.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Apr 1, 2021 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:26 am

Bic Camera lottery is live until tomorrow 20:59. Open to those who have an account and have purchased something from them between March 29 2019 and March 28 2021. Residents only I suppose, since the shipping address needs to be within Japan.

Yamazaki 12/18, Hakushu 12/18, Hibiki 21 are up for grabs. You can bid on up to 3 bottles, but will only win one. Go big or go home, so it’ll be the 18s and the 21 for my bid.

https://www.biccamera.com/bc/c/sale/....html?20210405
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Bic Camera lottery is live until tomorrow 20:59. Open to those who have an account and have purchased something from them between March 29 2019 and March 28 2021. Residents only I suppose, since the shipping address needs to be within Japan.

Yamazaki 12/18, Hakushu 12/18, Hibiki 21 are up for grabs. You can bid on up to 3 bottles, but will only win one. Go big or go home, so it’ll be the 18s and the 21 for my bid.

https://www.biccamera.com/bc/c/sale/....html?20210405
No account, and no purchases in ages, I'm out.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:37 am

Yamazaki and Hibiki Limited Edition 2021 lotteries just opened up, 500 bottles each. Have at it.

https://www.suntory.co.jp/whisky/hib...mber/21041201/

https://www.suntory.co.jp/whisky/yamazaki/news/098.html
JapanFlyerT and porphyra like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:33 am

Thanks for this - only 500 bottles of the Hibiki Blossom!

This reinforces my belief that Hibiki too is fast disappearing off the shelves. Just picked up another 21 years before its all too late. Expensive no doubt, but the bid is at Yen 61,000 at places like Daikokuya. I'm thinking this could be north of Yen 100,000 soon. Wonder what the Blossom Harmony will hit as first secondary price?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.