Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I saw Harmony at a couple of Washington Costcos, for an eye-watering $75.
Originally Posted by mkjr
that seems to be the going price no? wine searcher seems to indicate that is around the global average price.
the Hibiki Harmony is $54.99 at Bay Area Costcos
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AMEX
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz
I wonder when Costco SF will get more shipments of Japanese Whiskey..need to stock up lol
I picked up 3 bottles of Hibiki 21 at SF Costco yesterday. Was told some dude bought 24 bottles outright. Lots of 12 remaining on the floor though.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by sutekidane
I picked up 3 bottles of Hibiki 21 at SF Costco yesterday. Was told some dude bought 24 bottles outright. Lots of 12 remaining on the floor though.
are they all gone? how much were they?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: AMEX
Originally Posted by beardedmeerkat
are they all gone? how much were they?
Pretty sure they're all gone by now. It was $289.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:47 pm

There are a bunch of listings on CL selling Hibiki 21 and Yamazaki 18 in SF Bay Area. I don't think it's cool that people are buying them in large amounts to sell.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: FT
There are a bunch of listings on CL selling Hibiki 21 and Yamazaki 18 in SF Bay Area. I don't think it's cool that people are buying them in large amounts to sell.
Is that legal? People sell hard to find wine at auction also. I have no issue since I auction stuff from my collection all the time. I've never auctioned any scotch. Guess my scotch preferences don't change like wine where I find myself selling stuff I used to think was what I would like.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:47 am

yes 8300 yen is really good.
Thanks! I poked around the (rather pathetic) duty-free offerings at Narita yesterday, and the only moderately sanely priced alternative was Hibiki 12 for Y10,000, which is still a hefty premium on the ~Y6000 it normally costs. So I took the gamble, bought nothing at NRT, and hoped JAL would have it on stock on board -- and they did! ^
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I've seen the Hibiki 12 and 17 at Costco, but never the 21.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I just went to the SF Costco, and the only Hibiki they have left is the Harmony. They have lots of Hakushu 12.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not a fan of the 21 and especially not at the $289 price or the HND/NRT price.

I think the 17 is the best of the 3 with age statements. I save my 17 for special occasions and have a lower bar for the 21 which is disappointing.

Still regret buying a 21 and 17 last March before prices went up at NRT/HND instead of buying 2x 17s
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Not a fan of the 21 and especially not at the $289 price or the HND/NRT price.

I think the 17 is the best of the 3 with age statements. I save my 17 for special occasions and have a lower bar for the 21 which is disappointing.

Still regret buying a 21 and 17 last March before prices went up at NRT/HND instead of buying 2x 17s
i am of the view there is always something on the horizon that will deplete my pocket...case in point, fussing about taking my entire allocation of Saxum ginen FX is killing just canucks....

the Hibiki Harmony is $54.99 at Bay Area Costcos
and using this LOW end as the basis up on which the average price is too high is a little ridiculous.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:28 pm

Is that legal? People sell hard to find wine at auction also. I have no issue since I auction stuff from my collection all the time. I've never auctioned any scotch. Guess my scotch preferences don't change like wine where I find myself selling stuff I used to think was what I would like.
I totally understand selling things you no longer like but there are people who buy only to resell. I'm not sure who they are selling it to. It's prohibited on CL but people still do it. I've been told people buy opus one (which I also think is overpriced) and sell it for 2x as much overseas.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:33 pm

i am of the view there is always something on the horizon that will deplete my pocket...case in point, fussing about taking my entire allocation of Saxum ginen FX is killing just canucks....

and using this LOW end as the basis up on which the average price is too high is a little ridiculous.
The Harmony was around $28-$30 when I was in Japan in December. It was affordable but I didn't buy any since I had to save room for my other Hibikis. We finally bought one from Costco just so we can compare.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:06 pm

The Harmony was around $28-$30 when I was in Japan in December. It was affordable but I didn't buy any since I had to save room for my other Hibikis. We finally bought one from Costco just so we can compare.
I don't think you want to know what I paid for Yamazaki 12 at the Pennsylvania liquor board in 2008. :-). Or the 21 year old Nikka pure malt at nrt in 2007 but I take the point. Harmony is 50 pounds over the UK and was 99$cad here in yyz. SFO costcos have had great prices and volume. I personally think the harmony now will be closer to the 12 than ever, just like the Nikka Nas pure malt and I bought 12 of this discontinued 12 year old.

I think flipping is just something that you have to live with. I'll admit I've flipped some highly sought after SQN wines. Shhhhh. Don't hate me. But my child needs a good trust fund. Not for the reasons you may think.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Bic Camera Prices

As a datapoint, I just stopped by BIC Camera Yurakcho and found the following:

Hibiki 17 - 11800 yen (airplane bottles for 830 yen)
Nikka 21 - 14500 yen
Nikka 17 - 6580 yen
Nikka 12 - 5580 yen

Hibiki Harmony was on the shelf, but didnt have a price tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.