Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by hgeek23
End of the day I wonder if it was worth it.

Ha! Hats off to your efforts. You know, one thing that has always puzzled me about this fine forum is how people want to buy a premium product at a discount or recommended price. Usually a premium product attracts people who boast about the price paid - Rolexes Daytonas, Porsche GT3 or whatever. Here if one pays over the MSRP you get jumped at. And now in an external dangerous environment this that has to be questioned frankly. Glad you brought up the point! I'm going to pay the premium and have it delivered to my door thank you. Nothing personal, but I've been jumped at here before, and it seems more of a place to show off frankly. The truth is its quite difficult to buy at MSRP, and so what - if you can afford to buy a ticket to Japan, surely you can buy whisky at a premium? Why should someone jump at me if I pay the premium!?
AndyYamazaki likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:00 pm

To be fair it required spending the entirety of the two weeks, every day, doing almost nothing but going to random stores and all. Most owners get really pissed when you even ask. Even mention "suntory" and it's "nai!" They have terrible experiences with all the Chinese tourists flooding their shops to buy them. I would not recommend going this route to people unless they had two weeks to burn and didn't care about exploring at all. The two standard Yama and hak 18 were from a single source so if I didn't chance upon it I'd be coming home with very little for an insane amount of effort. End of the day I wonder if it was worth it.

Also worth mentioning Bic does have the small bottles of Yama 12 in stock in only a couple (2/25 bic shops I visited) but you must register for a Bic card which is an annoying process done online, and only then can you get one bottle per day. Spend the extra few bucks and get them elsewhere.
That’s a lot of running around! I find more than 5 min in a BIC Store absolutely unbearable. 25 stores?!
Care to share any of the locations you had success at in the Osaka/Kyoto area besides BIC?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
That’s a lot of running around! I find more than 5 min in a BIC Store absolutely unbearable. 25 stores?!
Care to share any of the locations you had success at in the Osaka/Kyoto area besides BIC?
Absolutely. The mini bottles were sourced at Hyatt regency Tokyo. They were Eleven hundred yen each. That is basically like buying a full bottle at about $150. Disadvantages no matter how many you buy you will not get tax free. They Levy tax on it. Overall I really wouldn't recommend this to the average individual. Find a store that has these at retail for 790 yen. I'm not sure the regency is going to get an allocation again anytime soon. These were my first purchase and I didn't realize I would find a bottle. For the money just buy a $150 in the USA. Many places can sell you some.

The Yama 12 was sourced from nakaya liquor store Osaka. it was their last one but if you are visiting your able to taste whiskey's by the 50 ml.

The Nas Yama from sugitani liquor store in Osaka which also had a jama 12 for about 12,500 and a hibiki 21 for 46 thousand. Credit to drdrdr56 for the Osaka recommendations.

Niikura liquor shop in Osaka had the hak Nas.

The limited editions at hnd international terminal towards gate 146. Also hats off to drdrdr56 on that.

the 18s were at one of the ginza department stores. Since I've visited literally every department store on the street I really do not recall which but it was in the basement. Much much kudos to drdrdr56 for his helping to coordinate and permission to share this.

Last edited by hgeek23; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:13 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:00 pm

Absolutely. The mini bottles were sourced at Hyatt regency Tokyo. They were Eleven hundred yen each. That is basically like buying a full bottle at about $150. Disadvantages no matter how many you buy you will not get tax free. They Levy tax on it.

The Yama 12 was sourced from nakaya liquor store Osaka. it was their last one but if you are visiting your able to taste whiskey's by the 50 ml.

The Nas Yama from sugitani liquor store in Osaka which also had a jama 12 for about 12,500 and a hibiki 21 for 46 thousand. Credit to drdrdr56 for the Osaka recommendations.

Niikura liquor shop in Osaka had the hak Nas.

The limited editions at hnd international terminal towards gate 146. Also hats off to drdrdr56 on that.

the 18s were at one of the ginza department stores. Since I've visited literally every department store on the street I really do not recall which but it was in the basement. Much much kudos to drdrdr56 for his helping to coordinate and permission to share this. I know he scored a Yama 12 but decided to get a LE at the airport for a sick relative I guess. Can't blame him, as a display piece it's really a looker.
Cheers! 🥃 Thanks for sharing. Hope everything made it back in one piece. It’s always good to hear success stories as it keeps the hope alive for me!
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
Cheers! 🥃 Thanks for sharing. Hope everything made it back in one piece. It’s always good to hear success stories as it keeps the hope alive for me!
Better to post helpful info as opposed to just bragging about what we found.

I checked back daily at the department stores in case they got their allocation in that morning. From everything that we've gathered they get pretty much a couple of allocations per year. These three bottles finished off their allocation and they only sold it to me across the two weeks as there is so little foot traffic right now.

I would add that if you are going to pay above retail like a prior poster mentioned get it at the airport. Otherwise get it back in the United States online for the 6-800$. Bottles on secondary market are marked up more than the USA cuz they know the Chinese tourists buy a ton.

Last edited by hgeek23; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:16 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
For those interested in buying at above retail but a ton of options there is a drug store next to the fresa inn in shinsaibashi that has about 12 bottles of hak 18 for 60k jpy, 30 or so bottles of yama 12 at about 22k, and a bunch, maybe 10 Yama 18s I think at 75k.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
the 18s were at one of the ginza department stores. Since I've visited literally every department store on the street I really do not recall which but it was in the basement. Much much kudos to drdrdr56 for his helping to coordinate and permission to share this.
That would be Matsuya. Same one I've found a H21 at not too long ago.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Miana
On January 1st, I was too late, but the Aeon Mall Liquor shop near my house in Osaka sold Yamazaki 18 Hak18 and Hibiki 30 all for MSRP, I couldn’t believe it, i was so pissed when I got there around 6:00pm and they were all sold out!

I sometimes find good bottles at Aeon, I’m just not sure if they have Aeon in Tokyo.

WOAH

what is retail for a Hibiki 30?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
Originally Posted by chichow
WOAH

what is retail for a Hibiki 30?
137,200 jpy
Miana likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:40 am

News just released that a State of Emergency is planned - not clear whether liquor retailers will be affected - could well be exempt under vital foodstuffs, or at discretion of owners. What will be affected is the night bars - possibly affecting a big sector that has bought premium Japanese whisky. Not sure about the Bic cameras of this world - possibly non-essential for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:53 am

Hi. May I know the Hibiki21Le, hakushu18le , yamazaki18LE Japan airports duty free still selling price of yen 50k?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kelvin13
Hi. May I know the Hibiki21Le, hakushu18le , yamazaki18LE Japan airports duty free still selling price of yen 50k?
Yes, but most duty free shops are closed and not receiving shipments.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:34 pm

Essence of Suntory

Morning everyone! Before shops close for Golden week, thought I might mask up and head out for a quick final hunt. Has anyone been able to find The Essence of Suntory 4th release in stores yet?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:34 pm

Essence of Suntory

Hi everyone! Before shops close for Golden week, thought I might mask up and head out for a quick final hunt. Has anyone been able to find The Essence of Suntory 4th release in stores yet?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Haven't been out to the liquor shops in a while (still have my current stash to work through!), but Essence Volume 4 certainly sounds more interesting than Volume 3. The Sakura Wood finish Chita certainly sounds interesting, but I'm more intrigued by the rice whisky from their new-ish Osumi distillery.

https://www.nomunication.jp/2020/04/...kura-and-rice/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.