Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
That’s a little over-priced in my opinion. Just 4 days ago I found this at the Heiwado supermarket:

I only bought the Hibiki, Yamazaki and one Taketsuru, as I didn’t want to upset my wife too much.
Came back the next day and it was all gone!
I'm a little impressed they had Harmony on the shelf. That's quite uncommon in Tokyo. Do they have a separate liquor case with high end bottles? I might need to add them to my regular circuit. Seijo Ishii has been good to me recently.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:37 am

Went to hakushu distillery today. Gotta say I like Hibiki 30>Yamazaki 25 which is a surprised!
here is the order of my preference for today:
hibiki 30>Yamazaki 25>hakushu18>yamazaki18>Hibiki 21.
i was surprised how good hakushu 18 was! I think the current batch of Yamazaki 18 is not as good as the batch from 2015-2018! This is just my opinion! And hakushu rye was pretty awesome too! I think the Yamazaki Spanish oak was my favorite essence line.

leland and AndyYamazaki like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Went to hakushu distillery today. Gotta say I like Hibiki 30>Yamazaki 25 which is a surprised!
here is the order of my preference for today:
hibiki 30>Yamazaki 25>hakushu18>yamazaki18>Hibiki 21.
Didn't try the Hak25? Cmon no distillery visit is complete without a full H30/Y25/Hak25 flight

I agree though, the Hibiki is always the winner in each price tier IMO. The grain component helps produce a more symphonic palate.
leland likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
Didn't try the Hak25? Cmon no distillery visit is complete without a full H30/Y25/Hak25 flight

I agree though, the Hibiki is always the winner in each price tier IMO. The grain component helps produce a more symphonic palate.
I did try to order hakushu 25 but it was 1605... passed their last call! Heading back tomorrow morning to try it out for sure!!
but to me Hibiki 21 didn’t hit the spot for some reason tonight! It’s just too mellow and didn’t stand out.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:36 am

I'm a little impressed they had Harmony on the shelf. That's quite uncommon in Tokyo. Do they have a separate liquor case with high end bottles? I might need to add them to my regular circuit. Seijo Ishii has been good to me recently.
I’ve never had luck at Seijo Ishii but will keep trying. This was my first time seeing Hibiki NAS at Heiwado. I go in there a few times a week and was shocked to find it myself. It disappeared just as quickly as it appeared!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:49 pm

Arrived at HND, things are bleak in terms of japanese selections available. Just your usual Suntory Ao and some Ichiro items.

Flight on ANA F had Hibiki 17 in those small bottles.

Suite lounge has Suntory Chita

Here's a pic

Last edited by miuk; Jan 22, 2020 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miuk
Arrived at HND, things are bleak in terms of japanese selections available. Just your usual Suntory Ao and some Ichiro items.

Flight on ANA F had Hibiki 17 in those small bottles.

Suite lounge has Suntory Chita

Here's a pic
Where are the Ichiro's items?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Where are the Ichiro's items?
He probably already bought and flipped em all
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:19 pm

Woops, didn't take a picture of that shelf
My attention got shifted to the Kit Kat's as they seem to have some new flavors that I didn't see the last time I was in Japan.
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by miuk
Woops, didn't take a picture of that shelf
My attention got shifted to the Kit Kat's as they seem to have some new flavors that I didn't see the last time I was in Japan.
Which Ichiro's bottles were they? The travel exclusive? https://static.whiskybase.com/storag...214030-big.jpg or just the crappy white label?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:12 pm

Which Ichiro's bottles were they? The travel exclusive? https://static.whiskybase.com/storag...214030-big.jpg or just the crappy white label?
Not this label, it was the white ones.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:08 am

Come on, white one is not crappy!! I fully enjoy it at its price point!! There are a lot of fake crappy Japanese whiskies out there for the same or more than that white label! Not saying white label is entirely Japanese either.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Come on, white one is not crappy!! I fully enjoy it at its price point!! There are a lot of fake crappy Japanese whiskies out there for the same or more than that white label! Not saying white label is entirely Japanese either.
Sorry, sorry. I meant commonplace

Also, just like Taketsuru NAS, Ichiro white label is absurdly overpriced in the US. $80-$100 is common.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:51 am

Passing through Monzen Nakacho, I came across a store (can’t remember the name) on the main drag. They did have both Taketsuru and Hakushu NAS, but the former was unfortunately twice retail. There were several bottles left and at that price I’d expect it to remain available for some time.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:50 pm

Hibiki 21 limited edition

Anyone know if Hibiki 21 limited edition still available in the airport dfs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.