Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
This wrapped by Japanese shop? Even Alliq gives me more bubble wrap than that.
No, although most Japanese shops only wrap a single layer of bubble wrap. Not appropriate for int'l shipment.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PastisDetox
Any tips for packing? Was your suitcase soft shell or hard shell? Did you wrap these guys in bubble packaging or not? Would you recommmend putting clothes and stuff around them to further cushion impact? Thanks in advance.
You'd want to remove and fold their boxes (to prevent box damage), use a hardshell with tons of bubble wrap on each individual bottle and then wrap them between your clothes while ensuring minimal movement. Very easy to get a cheap suitcase at BIC for about ¥4-5k if you run out of space, or just bring an empty one if you know you'll be buying whisky. I've never had a bottle break in a suitcase. Would not recommend a shipping box.

Last edited by invalyd; Jan 11, 2020 at 8:32 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Another thing might be to use bubble wrap with bigger bubbles (like ~3/4" diameter). I bought a roll at Tokyu Hands along with packing tape from their moving section to wrap mine.

I do like the enclosing all bottles in plastic bags or ziplocs (though I've found those seem to be less water tight than they used to be). I've sometimes just wrapped a bottle in a pair of sweat pants and got away with it.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Another thing might be to use bubble wrap with bigger bubbles (like ~3/4" diameter). I bought a roll at Tokyu Hands along with packing tape from their moving section to wrap mine.
Keep in mind most full service hotels will be happy to give you as much 'puchipuchi' as you need.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by jashsu
Maybe!

Don't be like me and underpack your bottles. Had some casualties in transit:

😢
Damn that really sucks man. Sorry to see that... I’m currently residing in Japan so probably won’t transport any bottles soon. I have packed 3-4 bottle each suitcase before and I padded them good with bubble wraps and cloth. It’s beeen working out son far.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:23 pm

Official note from Asahi on the discontinuation of Taketsuru
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Official note from Asahi on the discontinuation of Taketsuru
Man Taketsuru nas is one of the best at its price! Now it’s gone.... saw two bottles at 3080 each couple weeks ago. Glad I grabbed them both
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:27 am

Prices have jumped on 17 and 21. Sigh. Should have stocked up the day I posted about it.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
Prices have jumped on 17 and 21. Sigh. Should have stocked up the day I posted about it.
The prices have gone crazy!! Holy f... can’t believe this! Now I don’t think I can open those bottles I have now based on the latest number.... geeeez
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:21 am

Kakukaku.com shows no available stock of Taketsuru on any of their contributors - remember only a few months ago, kakuyasu and liquor mountain had cases as you walked in of the NAS, sometimes as cheap as Yen 2800.

Latest update: Shinanoya had a few bottles of Hibiki NAS at list price, Kakuyasu is packaging it with Mars Cosmo at yen 9100, and Food Show in Shibuya is releasing small batches of Hakushu, Yamazaki and Hibiki MS at retail....
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Kakukaku.com shows no available stock of Taketsuru on any of their contributors - remember only a few months ago, kakuyasu and liquor mountain had cases as you walked in of the NAS, sometimes as cheap as Yen 2800.

Latest update: Shinanoya had a few bottles of Hibiki NAS at list price, Kakuyasu is packaging it with Mars Cosmo at yen 9100, and Food Show in Shibuya is releasing small batches of Hakushu, Yamazaki and Hibiki MS at retail....
Yeah I've been watching kakaku and kicking myself for not being more proactive when I first heard the credible rumors.

Been picking up Taketsuru NAS stateside where I see it. :/
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 am

Whisky in Kansai

I’ve noticed an influx this week of NAS Taketsuru, Yamazaki and even Hibiki Japanese Harmony, at supermarkets in Kansai, all at or near MSRP.

Time to buy any remaining Taketsuru NAS?

invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
I’ve noticed an influx this week of NAS Taketsuru, Yamazaki and even Hibiki Japanese Harmony, at supermarkets in Kansai, all at or near MSRP.

Time to buy any remaining Taketsuru NAS?

An article that appeared on Yahoo Japan does seem to suggest that the Taketsuru NAS will be relaunched. So it may not be the case the the Taketsuru NAS will vanish completely. Here’s the link to the article, in Japanese.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2...donews-bus_all
jashsu and AndyYamazaki like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:53 am

I'll be transiting through Haneda airport next week via NH. Any pre-buy websites that i can start stalking to see if there's anything good?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by miuk
I'll be transiting through Haneda airport next week via NH. Any pre-buy websites that i can start stalking to see if there's anything good?
There's only one preorder site for Haneda (JALDFS). My buddy flew through HND this morning and reported it was completely dry so hopefully they restock before your trip.

Last edited by invalyd; Jan 14, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.