Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
No, they don't sell any limited bottles.
Wasted. My friends about 30 ppls at there now, what worthy to buy then? Any recommendations?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:22 am

Been asking my friends help me to buy hibiki21LE, hakushu18Le, Yamazaki18Le these few months at Narita, haneda, kansai , but no luck at all. Really not easy to buy .
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Kelvin13
Been asking my friends help me to buy hibiki21LE, hakushu18Le, Yamazaki18Le these few months at Narita, haneda, kansai , but no luck at all. Really not easy to buy .
It shouldn't be that hard. The best advice is just to get to the airport earlier in the day. I saw Hak18LE at both the ANA-run and JAL-run duty free shops at Haneda today.

Good luck.
invalyd and JordanWalker like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Hakushu 12 is long discontinued. You won't find it anywhere in Japan for under $300. On top of that, it is still very easy to find in the US.
Thanks, any suggestions of something different / interesting to take back with that kind of flavor profile? Smokey, salty, not too much on the caramel / sugar path sweet...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Nice! I went last month for a ~12noon tour, and didn't see any available in the gift shop.
Or do they hide those behind the counter and you have to ask? Or I might just been too late into the day already. Just didn't see it displayed anywhere at all.

On the side note. Anyone know what's the actual MSRP of Yamazki's Single Malt / Y12 / Y18 in Japan?
I do see some available for sale in Hong Kong, but I'm not sure how bad the mark up is.
don q used to be good but many of the stores have also hiked up prices

so you can find y 12 at don q but at a silly price of 20000 so that is the same price in Hong Kong from parallel traders

My better half was able to grab a Yamazaki 25 at NRT T2 yesterday. Even though it was in a STEB, they tried to cut open the bottle with a pair of scissors during her connection in YVR

Thankfully she made a fuss and they let her exit the security line to put it in a check in bag. I would definitely not trust any expensive bottles in a STEB for connections in the future.
what the airport price for that?

Big cities are harder

my most recent haul included Y18 for 400-450 usd but that was in a small town in KYUSHU

and man are prices ridiculous

Last edited by armagebedar; Dec 30, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reason: subsequent posts by same poster
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by leland
Thanks, any suggestions of something different / interesting to take back with that kind of flavor profile? Smokey, salty, not too much on the caramel / sugar path sweet...
Not sure how long you'll be in Hokkaido but if possible you can make a trip to yoichi and buy some of their flavored element whiskies.. peaty & salty sounds like a good fit for your profile
leland likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Not sure how long you'll be in Hokkaido but if possible you can make a trip to yoichi and buy some of their flavored element whiskies.. peaty & salty sounds like a good fit for your profile
Seconding this. The distillery exclusive blend is pretty well balanced too, and there should be plenty of bottles of those available.
leland likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:08 am

Well, one of the best score in recent years. My Japan local bartender buddy surprised me with a perfect Christmas/New Year gift of regular Hibiki 21 at 25,000 yen before taxes. Have to treat him something good!! It's always good to make friends with locals!!
jashsu and Mizunara like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
It shouldn't be that hard. The best advice is just to get to the airport earlier in the day. I saw Hak18LE at both the ANA-run and JAL-run duty free shops at Haneda today.

Good luck.
Omg , reserve for me pls
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Well, one of the best score in recent years. My Japan local bartender buddy surprised me with a perfect Christmas/New Year gift of regular Hibiki 21 at 25,000 yen before taxes. Have to treat him something good!! It's always good to make friends with locals!!
Wow. The actual MSRP!

A true friend indeed.
leland likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by Mizunara
Seconding this. The distillery exclusive blend is pretty well balanced too, and there should be plenty of bottles of those available.
Thanks both will plan for that. Was planning a daytrip to Yoichi and Otaru from Niseko. Now I'll really be forced to take that day off from the snow... Assume I'll have to take the train as I've read that they won't serve me at Yoichi if I have car keys?

In semi-related items of distillery touring earlier in the trip will be in Kyoto, but Yamazaki tours are all booked during my dates. May stop by the museum if convenient after sightseeing nearby. Interesting that needs to be reserved as well.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:03 pm

Thanks both will plan for that. Was planning a daytrip to Yoichi and Otaru from Niseko. Now I'll really be forced to take that day off from the snow... Assume I'll have to take the train as I've read that they won't serve me at Yoichi if I have car keys?

In semi-related items of distillery touring earlier in the trip will be in Kyoto, but Yamazaki tours are all booked during my dates. May stop by the museum if convenient after sightseeing nearby. Interesting that needs to be reserved as well.
Yamazaki Museum / tasting doesn't require a reservation but you can make one of you want. If you really want to do the tour just check back often for cancellations as they have frequently.

At NRT T2 now and it's completely dry. Assuming they won't get stocked again until after the holiday as most places seem to be shutting down in Japan for the week.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Assume I'll have to take the train as I've read that they won't serve me at Yoichi if I have car keys?

Correct. No drinking and driving.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Yamazaki Museum / tasting doesn't require a reservation but you can make one of you want.
Just note that last time I showed up for the tasting room without a reservation, one of the guys in the guard booth warned me that they will turn people away if it is too busy. So I'd definitely make a reservation - that's a long trip to make in vain.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Just note that last time I showed up for the tasting room without a reservation, one of the guys in the guard booth warned me that they will turn people away if it is too busy. So I'd definitely make a reservation - that's a long trip to make in vain.
wouldn't be in vain because you could just wait a few minutes until someone leaves. people aren't spending all day there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.