Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
HND airport this morning

jashsu and 7473chad like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by invalyd
HND airport this morning
Good timing!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:54 am

HND airport this morning

I gave up.... Was just there on Sat morning....
7473chad likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:52 am

Managed to score a bottle of Hakushu 18 LE for $475 (bought it from a friend in Japan) and a bottle of Fuji Sanroku 18 small batch 2016 for $200 in Tokyo. Also scored few bottles of Fuji Sanroku 50 for Y1500. Getting hard to find good deals on aged Suntory products!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:13 am

Found a few places in Shinsaibashi area selling Hibiki BC for just under 10k yen
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Wikiwiki
Found a few places in Shinsaibashi area selling Hibiki BC for just under 10k yen
From what I gather it's not so rare anymore. Most shops seem to have it. But at that price it must be the best Hibiki for regular drinking now, I will gladly take it over the Masters Select
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:08 pm

Yeah I find the prices are very different depending on which store you go in. Some stores had the BC for 20k yen and Donkis had it for 30k yen
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Wikiwiki
Yeah I find the prices are very different depending on which store you go in. Some stores had the BC for 20k yen and Donkis had it for 30k yen
Understandable. Donkis overcharge for their stocks, but other stores might follow suit in the next few months.
Better be quick if you're planning to buy it.

By the way, I passed through some bottle shop today, they had Hibiki 17 for sale at A$1000 ($700) each. Absolutely nuts.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by antebellum
Understandable. Donkis overcharge for their stocks, but other stores might follow suit in the next few months.
Better be quick if you're planning to buy it.

By the way, I passed through some bottle shop today, they had Hibiki 17 for sale at A$1000 ($700) each. Absolutely nuts.
Not sure what you're talking about , shops have actually dropped their prices recently as more places got stock and inventory flooded the market. BC is not a rare whisky, no need to rush or overpay for it.
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Not sure what you're talking about , shops have actually dropped their prices recently as more places got stock and inventory flooded the market. BC is not a rare whisky, no need to rush or overpay for it.
I mean, if you want to buy BC at standard price, better be quick. The supply will goes down over time, following large numbers in the first few batches.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
I mean, if you want to buy BC at standard price, better be quick. The supply will goes down over time, following large numbers in the first few batches.
Why? It's a NAS. Have there been any news / rumours on the reduction in supply of NAS Suntory products?
invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:42 am

Based on what? Since the release in October last year, supply has only increased over time with no sign of slowing down.
​​​​​​
There is nothing rare or limited about this whisky , no need to suggest otherwise just because Donkis enjoys ripping off unsuspecting tourists.
antebellum and 7473chad like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
A cautionary, sad tale: Was at Haneda this past Saturday around 9 AM. There are 3 Duty Free shops. The biggest around GATE 110, had 15 bottles of Hibiki BC for ¥10,000. As I wandered around and came back about 40 minutes later, all 15 bottles were gone. I don't care for the BC but that was like a wow moment. From there I wandered down to the DF at Gate 109. Four Samurai bottles, 3 Royals, and what I thought was one Yamazaki 18 for ¥50,000... until a clerk came over to remove the sign and box. It had just been sold.

But the saddest experience was at the DF at Gate 114. Walked in and saw one bottle of Hibiki 21 on the shelf for ¥50,000. As I started to reach for it another person from a country just west of Japan, pushed in from my left side and grabbed the bottle. Polite guy that I am, I didn't cause a scene, but I'm still fuming. So, final tally from this trip is 10 minis of Yamazaki 12 and the premium flight at the Suntory Whisky House. Se La Vie.
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:23 pm

it’s everywhere buddy!! Some shop will even deliver it to you for free! No point to get too excited and overpay for a NAS... remember this is how the prices were jacked up at the first place....
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1
A cautionary, sad tale: Was at Haneda this past Saturday around 9 AM. There are 3 Duty Free shops. The biggest around GATE 110, had 15 bottles of Hibiki BC for ¥10,000. As I wandered around and came back about 40 minutes later, all 15 bottles were gone. I don't care for the BC but that was like a wow moment. From there I wandered down to the DF at Gate 109. Four Samurai bottles, 3 Royals, and what I thought was one Yamazaki 18 for ¥50,000... until a clerk came over to remove the sign and box. It had just been sold.

But the saddest experience was at the DF at Gate 114. Walked in and saw one bottle of Hibiki 21 on the shelf for ¥50,000. As I started to reach for it another person from a country just west of Japan, pushed in from my left side and grabbed the bottle. Polite guy that I am, I didn't cause a scene, but I'm still fuming. So, final tally from this trip is 10 minis of Yamazaki 12 and the premium flight at the Suntory Whisky House. Se La Vie.
That infuriating. You are indeed a very polite guy, not sure I would have been able to do the same!

On a side note, good to know HND sells Blender's Choice, that is the first I've heard of it being sold at duty free.
7473chad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.