Wiki Posts
Search

Dual passports - Japan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Dual passports - Japan

Hi All,

I will be having a 5-hr transit in NRT after my trip from Brazil via the States. Would it be an issue when I present my HK passport to Japanese immigration and they do not see any US transit visa in it cause I plan on using my canadian passport to transit in the US.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Any reason why you can't use your Canadian passport for both?

My understanding is that Canadians are under the visa waiver program.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
(1) If you are connecting to an international flight on the same ticket, you don't need to go through immigration for a 5-hour transit in NRT.

(2) Even if you do, there is really no reason for them to care about your transit in the US, but the worst case scenario is that they might ask to see the other passport in which case you just show them. (This happened to me once in Korea when I boarded the plane on one passport and entered Korea on another; I guess the officer was confused that my passport didn't match whatever his records showed. But in Japan, I have boarded with one and entered with another and nobody batted an eyelash...)
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Right! It's been so long since I transited through NRT (as opposed to having Japan as my final destination) that I forgot that transit passengers don't have to go through Immigration as long as they remain in the transit area.

Yes, you will walk for what seems like miles, and then just before the Japan-bound passengers go through Immigration, you will be directed along a different route to transit security.

However, you will have to go through Immigration if you want to visit the stores and restaurants outside the secure area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.