Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Gala Yuzawa - what to take (child)

Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Am packing our cases today in preparation for departure tomorrow.

As I'll have a JR East Pass, I'm considering taking the little one on a day trip to play in the snow at the Gala Yuzawa resort. Just looking to hire a sled, muck around and use the onsen/pool.

Question is - what clothes should I take for her?

Does the snow get slushy up there? (waterproofs)
Or can she get by with some sturdy corduroys? (with knee and bum patches and a layer underneath)
Or should I just take an all in one ski suit? My concern with this last option is that our little 火の玉 might get too hot and sweaty - being overdressed is about the only thing that ever leads her to moan and protest.

Also wondering if Wellington boots with fleece liners (and some socks) will be enough?

Obviously, I'm keen to keep our packing to a minimum but ski resorts are outside of my experience, we do go to Finland occasionally, but preparing for -20C and below is quite different.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I cannot say specific about Gala Yuzawa, I never been there. All I can say is speculations based on my days at Massachusetts and New York (up state area, not the city).

It has to be at very end of the season for Gala Yuzawa right now. I looked up the website and the official season for Gala Yuzawa ended on March 31 but there are still enough snow left so facilities are still open.

The website said snow condition is tightly packed, wet snow. If I remember from my days at Massachusetts and New York, warm during the day to melt snow and cold during the night to freeze snow produces tightly packed snow. Forecast for Gala Yuzawa is in high of 11 13 C. I do think snow do get wet during the day. Problem with that is that clothing can get very wet which drying of clothing takes time and requires change of clothes. I agree, the full ski suit can get very warm when temperature is 11 13 C during the day.

I think you do have to expect clothing to get very wet and need change of clothes. Enjoy the trip!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As you said, we will be going just before the resort squeezes out the last income of the year from the Golden week clients and closes for the season. Am not expecting optimum conditions

Wet snow it is then:

Wellies, good socks - fleece liners not required

Waterproof breathable trousers (over a very light base layer)

Waterproof breathable light coat over a couple of thin base layers.

Waterproof gloves.

Thin towels, full change of clothing with two sets of extra socks, swimsuit (for pool at onsen).

Cheers!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
As you said, we will be going just before the resort squeezes out the last income of the year from the Golden week clients and closes for the season. Am not expecting optimum conditions

Wet snow it is then:

Wellies, good socks - fleece liners not required

Waterproof breathable trousers (over a very light base layer)

Waterproof breathable light coat over a couple of thin base layers.

Waterproof gloves.

Thin towels, full change of clothing with two sets of extra socks, swimsuit (for pool at onsen).

Cheers!
We just went to Gala in January. We got the so-called JR Kanto Area Pass with Gala Yuzawa option. That is a great option for most anyone going to Gala, because for 1000yen additional (on top of the Kanto Pass price), you get the free ride on shinkansen from Jomo Kogen to Gala station and plus it entitles you to a special discount price on the sled/boots/gloves/gondola all for roughly the regular price of the gondola ride alone.

Hard to say what the temp is going to be like, but it's best to be prepared... although you can rent a lot of the apparel there if you need to. I think it's always best to take your own stuff, though. In addition to what you list above, you might want to take one of those hats that cover the head+ears, scarf, ear muff, sunscreen. Don't get mad at me for taking too much if the day turns out to be sunny and warm! You can buy things like ear muff at Daiso for cheap. If the sun's peaking out, then you'll need sunglasses or goggles. I think I paid ~400yen to rent a pair of goggles at the hut at the top of gondola.

When you go for that sled/boots/gloves/gondola discount option (using your JR Gala option pass), you and your child will each be entitled to a sled of course. You might feel like just getting one sled for the two of you and declining the other. You're not going to save any more by turning it down so I would just take one sled each, just in case. With my 3yo, sometimes she wanted to ride together and sometimes she wanted to ride by herself (but next to me).

I wanted to get off at Echigo Yuzawa station on the way back and do some browsing before getting back on shinkansen. I got conflicting info as to whether/not you can do that. One JR person said yes, another said no.

ADDENDUM:
No need to take boots - yours or your child's. That's part of the aforementioned rental package. You'll change into their snow boots and leave your shoes in the locker at the Gala shinkansen station prior to boarding the gondola.

Last edited by evergrn; Apr 13, 2014 at 11:26 pm Reason: addendum
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I've skied in the the Yuzawa area as late as May (Kagura). My advice.

1. Get there as early in the morning as possible for better snow.

2. Wear light clothing as it will be very warm.

3. If you're prone to fall, wear water proof or very water resistant clothing. If not, a good pair of water proof gators will do the trick.

4. Make sure to use sun screen and goggles/glasses.

Whoops.... just realized you're not skiing. Definitely don't overdress, it will be really hot at the bottom if the sun is out.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
When you go for that sled/boots/gloves/gondola discount option (using your JR Gala option pass), you and your child will each be entitled to a sled of course. You might feel like just getting one sled for the two of you and declining the other. You're not going to save any more by turning it down so I would just take one sled each, just in case. With my 3yo, sometimes she wanted to ride together and sometimes she wanted to ride by herself (but next to me).
[SNIP]
ADDENDUM:
No need to take boots - yours or your child's. That's part of the aforementioned rental package. You'll change into their snow boots and leave your shoes in the locker at the Gala shinkansen station prior to boarding the gondola.
Interesting that you mention a three year old, my own interpretation was that LapChild wouldn't need a Gondola ticket so I couldn't see the point of hiring a sled package for her. Last thing I want to be doing is risking a back injury with a sled and hauling two of them around all day.
BTW - not using the 1,000 option pass you had, JR East pass holders are entitled to the same rental packages though.

Snow boots seem perfect for a January visit, but just what I'm hoping to avoid in April, thanks for clarifying what comes in the package. Won't mind these for myself at all - I run on a different thermostat to my kid.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Interesting that you mention a three year old, my own interpretation was that LapChild wouldn't need a Gondola ticket so I couldn't see the point of hiring a sled package for her. Last thing I want to be doing is risking a back injury with a sled and hauling two of them around all day.
BTW - not using the 1,000 option pass you had, JR East pass holders are entitled to the same rental packages though.

Snow boots seem perfect for a January visit, but just what I'm hoping to avoid in April, thanks for clarifying what comes in the package. Won't mind these for myself at all - I run on a different thermostat to my kid.
Sorry, you are right. I just had a look at their website. Some of the details escaped my memory, because it involved that JR pass and plus we had 1 child do ski lesson and another do sledding with us. We probably must've done that sled/boots/gloves/gondola option for us 2 adults, and then the rentals only for the kids. But the rentals-only still would include all of sled+boots+gloves. It's only 600y half-day (7.40a-2p or 11.45a-5.30p) or 800y all-day. And you're going to have to get that rental package for your child anyways, because you'll want to get her a pair of snow boots. I wouldn't worry too much about having to tow 2 sleds all day, although it's up to you. These sleds are light, sort of stack on top of each other so that you can tow them together easily, and the sledding area is close to the hut at the top of the gondola. Most of the time, we weren't even using the sleds and so left them on the ski rack outside the hut. Btw, you may want to call the rental place (Salomon Station) and double-check that they're open. Their webpage says they only rent until 3/31, even though it sounds like the ski resort's open till May.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good points, lots of useful info there, thanks!

Just doing my last moment faffing and am heading out the door soon.

Will report back.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
LapLap, speaking of the snow this season, snow wall walk in Tateyama has just started. For your plan B.
http://www.alpen-route.com/en/
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by O Sora
LapLap, speaking of the snow this season, snow wall walk in Tateyama has just started. For your plan B.
http://www.alpen-route.com/en/
Thank you, I value this information ^
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Returned earlier today from a very pleasant trip to Gala Yuzawa.

No snow boots at this time of the year with the 900 gondola/snow fun set - you get a decent pair of wellies (gumboots?), some thick water resistant gloves and a plastic sled. Took rubber boots and gloves for my own kid so didn't need to hire anything else, one sled between us was plenty.

I don't think the snow on the play slope areas was natural, probably from a snow machine. Snow was just like the stuff from a kaki gōri machine (the kind that grinds ice cubes rather than shaves blocks of ice). Made you very wet, very quickly. MissLapLap had a great time, views were spectacular and we went there late purposefully so only caught the good weather today.

We took swimming costumes with us and enjoyed the communal pool areas in the "spa". Highlight was the hot outdoor jacuzzi with a cherry tree next to it in full bloom practically framing the mountain view... Bliss! Indoor onsen was nice and hot, my kid has taken to bathing this way like, well, a duck to water. She was hopping between the cold pool (COLD!) and the hot pool without hesitation, I wasn't the only one surprised at her tolerance for both extremes, she was laughing her head off watching us all flinch. With the locker fees at 100yen (needed somewhere to stash shoes once the rental boots were on), our 5 hours of gondola rides, snow, sledding, pools and onsen came to 1,900yen for the two of us. And we both got our first ride in a double decker Shinkansen. ^
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:38 pm

I'm glad you had fun! What you call 'wellies' (rubber boots) was indeed what we also got when we went in Jan and what I called 'snow boots' that came as part of the rental package... sorry if I gave you the wrong expectation. The views are magnificent there, indeed. We saw a kamoshika (Japanese antelope) right underneath the gondola. You went to the onsen/pool complex at the Gala shinkansen station? Was it crowded?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
You went to the onsen/pool complex at the Gala shinkansen station? Was it crowded?
Not when we went. Spent a while in the pool area and then the onsen, long enough for the previous occupants to vacate the areas and have them to ourselves. Meant we actually got some photos in both. I would never, ever take a camera in if there was someone else there (even the pool area where swimming costumes are worn), rare opportunity to take a photo record for my daughter so I grabbed it. Had to drag my daughter out of both.

I was pleased the rubber boots weren't snow boots but you'd need a couple of pairs of good thick socks if the weather was colder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.