Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on a Shimane/Hiroshima trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Advice on a Shimane/Hiroshima trip

In about 10 days, I will be taking a week-long vacation in the San'you/San'in region, and I'd be interested to hear comments on particular sights and spots from anyone familiar with that area. I've been living in Japan for a while now and have been to various places, but never west of Okayama, so it will be my first time there.

Here is my current plan, with a number of questions:

* Day 1 (Matsue): fly into Izumo airport, take the bus to Matsue, arriving around lunch time. Visit the castle and the “samurai street” (are some museums more interesting than others? I am thinking of trying the History Museum and the buke yashiki, but skipping the Lafcadio Hearn memorabilia if that's reasonable). If weather permits, enjoy the sunset on Lake Shinji and a dinner in the area before heading to the hotel (the Dormy Inn).

* Day 2 (Matsue): I'd like to go to Yūshien on Daikonjima. Other than that I'm not sure: the Adachi museum of art? the Vogel park? a trip to one of the Oki islands? Still spending the night at the Dormy Inn.

* Day 3 (Izumo): Izumo taisha. Besides the shrine itself, is the museum worth a visit? After that, hike in Tachikue-kyō and spend the night at an onsen ryokan there (Zekkei no yado Goshoranba).

* Day 4 (Hiroshima): for this day, I'm not sure whether to take the bus directly from Izumo to Hiroshima (visiting the Peace Park and surroundings, probably), or first go to Iwami Ginzan and take the afternoon bus from Ōda to Hiroshima. Would you rather see Iwami Ginzan or spend more time in Hiroshima? In any case, I'll spend the night at the Urbain Hiroshima.

* Day 5 (Hiroshima): spend the day visiting Hiroshima and Miyajima. Night at the Urbain again.

* Day 6 (Onomichi): go to Onomichi and walk around town (along the Path of Literature, perhaps). As an Ozu fan, I'll be sure to pay a visit to the movie museum. I'm debating the possibility of doing a side trip to Rabbit Island (Ōkunoshima) on the way from Hiroshima to Onomichi as well. Night at Ryōtei-ryokan Uonobu (not an onsen, but the food is excellent, apparently).

* Day 7 (Back home?): not sure; continue to explore Onomichi? visit Fukuyama/Tomonoura? bike or ferry to Shikoku? (I'm not in nearly good enough shape to bike the whole Shimanami kaidō bikeway, but a part might be doable). For now, I have booked the last flight back to Tokyo from Hiroshima airport, but I could change it to Matsuyama or Okayama if it fits the itinerary better.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Definitely worth searching this forum for those place names - abmj and I have posted a few notes in various threads - like this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...y-6-japan.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.