Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Busymann
KIX / ANA to HND / Dom-Int / 1:10 / AC - single ticket
Hi,

Sorry, . Can I just check one point please.

You stated it was a DOM-INT connection at KIX to HND? But HND is a domestic connection ( or are you arriving at KIX from an international point?)

Regards

TBS
Old May 17, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Forwarded?

Do you mean my luggage gets sent via separate plane to HND?
Your checked bags will be on the same plane as you. When you arrive at HND, they will be interlined ("forwarded") to the AC flight. You won't need to pick them up and recheck them at HND.
(If you have a connection in Canada, I think you'll need to pick up your checked bags and clear customs at the airport where you enter the country).

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
You stated it was a DOM-INT connection at KIX to HND? But HND is a domestic connection ( or are you arriving at KIX from an international point?)
I assume that @Busymann means that he is flying KIX to HND (Domestic flight) with ANA
And then he has to transit at HND (Domestic to Int'l) to take an AC flight
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Your checked bags will be on the same plane as you. When you arrive at HND, they will be interlined ("forwarded") to the AC flight. You won't need to pick them up and recheck them at HND.

I assume that @Busymann means that he is flying KIX to HND (Domestic flight) with ANA
And then he has to transit at HND (Domestic to Int'l) to take an AC flight
Hi,

Ah That makes sense!. Many thanks

TBS
Old May 17, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Kinda need help making up my mind. It's my 7th time in Tokyo. Arriving on Monday so not sure how the traffic will be..

Arriving 15:25 NRT NH F
Departing 20:05 HND NH J

Option1
Take NEX to Tokyo Station, grab some food, look around then go to HND (can use round trip NEX ticket on my return to US 2 weeks later)
Could be a tight schedule.

option2
Take bus from NRT straight to HND and hang out in lounge. This is a safe option, but sounds boring, is there anything to do near HND?
Old May 17, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VoiD
Kinda need help making up my mind. It's my 7th time in Tokyo. Arriving on Monday so not sure how the traffic will be..

Option1
Take NEX to Tokyo Station, grab some food, look around then go to HND (can use round trip NEX ticket on my return to US 2 weeks later)

option2
Take bus from NRT straight to HND and hang out in lounge. This is a safe option, but sounds boring, is there anything to do near HND?
Hi,

Will you have much luggage with you?- If you have a suitcase then option 1 might be awkward. Time wise should not be a problem.

Regards

TBS
Old May 17, 2019, 11:50 am

Hi,

Will you have much luggage with you?- If you have a suitcase then option 1 might be awkward. Time wise should not be a problem.

Regards

TBS
Thank you.
Yes 1 small suit case. I was planning to put it in a coin locker at tokyo station or keep with one of the luggage places..
Old May 17, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

I was going to suggest a few gardens close to the toyko monorail station at Hamamatsucho ( there is also the Seaside top observatory on the 40th floor beside the station open till late IIRC) but they close arounnd 430pm and the zojoji temple close to tokyo tower closes at 5pm. There are outdoor observation decks at Haneda . At Tokyo station you could visit a few of the rooftop gadens ( I went to the KITTE building one whixh was interesting) , go to the plaza in front of the Imperial Palace or make a quick visit to Ginza.

Regards

TBS
Old May 17, 2019, 12:33 pm
tt7

Option1

option2
Option 2. Sometimes boring is good - just take the limo bus.

Why anybody would muck about with option 1 I have no idea. After you get to Tokyo Station, then what? Presumably the Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho and then the monorail? Probably easier to take the NEX to Shinagawa and change there. Better yet, take the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori (quicker than the NEX) and the Yamanote line from there. “Look around” and “Could be a tight schedule” don’t belong in the same sentence... Obviously, YMMV.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

Hi,

I was going to suggest a few gardens close to the toyko monorail station at Hamamatsucho ( there is also the Seaside top observatory on the 40th floor beside the station open till late IIRC) but they close arounnd 430pm and the zojoji temple close to tokyo tower closes at 5pm. There are outdoor observation decks at Haneda . At Tokyo station you could visit a few of the rooftop gadens ( I went to the KITTE building one whixh was interesting) , go to the plaza in front of the Imperial Palace or make a quick visit to Ginza.

Regards

TBS
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll look into those.

Looks like the Seaside observatory is open until 20:30!

Last edited by VoiD; May 17, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by tt7

Option 2. Sometimes boring is good - just take the limo bus.

Why anybody would muck about with option 1 I have no idea. After you get to Tokyo Station, then what? Presumably the Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho and then the monorail? Probably easier to take the NEX to Shinagawa and change there. Better yet, take the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori (quicker than the NEX) and the Yamanote line from there. “Look around” and “Could be a tight schedule” don’t belong in the same sentence... Obviously, YMMV.
Thank you. just trying to make the most of out the short layover. Picked Tokyo station since it's where I'm pretty familiar with.
Perhaps a bus ride to HND and staying nearby or even up in Hamamatsucho would work best.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you. just trying to make the most of out the short layover. Picked Tokyo station since it's where I'm pretty familiar with.
Perhaps a bus ride to HND and staying nearby or even up in Hamamatsucho would work best.
You have 4 hours and 40 minutes between flights.

Getting out of the plane, though immigration, claiming your luggage and passing customs is probably the first 40. Another 90 minutes at least to get from airport to airport, then time to recheck the bag in advance of the flight. On a good day, you'd maybe have 1.5 hours and a bit to look around, on most days less. Have some nice food in Haneda before security instead. The Edo Koji dining area has some quite good options.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You have 4 hours and 40 minutes between flights.

Getting out of the plane, though immigration, claiming your luggage and passing customs is probably the first 40. Another 90 minutes at least to get from airport to airport, then time to recheck the bag in advance of the flight. On a good day, you'd maybe have 1.5 hours and a bit to look around, on most days less. Have some nice food in Haneda before security instead. The Edo Koji dining area has some quite good options.
Thank you. I'll keep it as an option. I now have some idea to work on.
At the end of the day, it will all depend on whether the flight is early or delayed.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:10 am

• The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT
  • The airline on which you are arriving: ANA LAX to NRT (arriving at 3:20pm)
  • The airline on which you are departing: JAL NRT to PEK (departing at 6:00pm)
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 2:40
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): INT-INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: separately booked

Does this seem reasonable? I'm a little paranoid since I rarely do separate tickets but I want to confirm if this is a reasonable time to transfer.

Thank you
Old May 18, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Hi,

Sorry, . Can I just check one point please.

Regards

TBS
My flight home is KIX - HND - YYZ - DCA, so the KIX to HND is domestic on ANA then HND to YYZ on AC is intl. Is that correct?
Old May 18, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My flight home is KIX - HND - YYZ - DCA, so the KIX to HND is domestic on ANA then HND to YYZ on AC is intl. Is that correct?
Hi,

Thanks for that. As jib71 said your bags will be transferred from NH to AC at HND and you will follow the transit signs at HND to the international Terminal for the AC flight.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.