Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Thanks for the guidance! Are there any hotel worth looking into nearby? JAL City Handea? Would the Yokohama Bay Sheraton be too far?
I can't really help with knowledge about hotels around Haneda. Tokyo is home, so I never need an an airport hotel at Haneda.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I can't really help with knowledge about hotels around Haneda. Tokyo is home, so I never need an an airport hotel at Haneda.
That's fair. We are landing at 8:30pm local time which will be 7:30am our time. If we get a good 4-5 hours of sleep on the plane I think it might be difficult to fall asleep in a hotel. Would it be too crazy to store our carry-ons at the airport and wander the city at night until our flight at 7am? It's our first time in Tokyo, are there enough things to do overnight to keep entertained?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That's fair. We are landing at 8:30pm local time which will be 7:30am our time. If we get a good 4-5 hours of sleep on the plane I think it might be difficult to fall asleep in a hotel. Would it be too crazy to store our carry-ons at the airport and wander the city at night until our flight at 7am? It's our first time in Tokyo, are there enough things to do overnight to keep entertained?
There are a lot of bars and restaurants that stay open until surprisingly late But you probably have to know the city very well to find the good spots For a first time visitor I would not recommend an over night wandering the city.
Maybe look into the details of visiting the new version of the fish market. I am not fully up to speed with the details of that.

I noticed that you asked about Yokohama hotels, missed that in the first round, that's way too far for your time. If you want a hotel close to some level of city, I would take a hotel by Shinagawa station Very easy to from the airport, and you can both see a bit of the city and get a bit of sleep.

I will ping a moderator to get the non lounge related posts moved to the Japan connection thread, as there are usually many good tips to be had there.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:02 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
A few posts about connecting at HND were moved to the Japan forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...l#post30930046

Regards,
armagebedar
ANA forum moderator
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
There are a lot of bars and restaurants that stay open until surprisingly late But you probably have to know the city very well to find the good spots For a first time visitor I would not recommend an over night wandering the city.
Maybe look into the details of visiting the new version of the fish market. I am not fully up to speed with the details of that.

I noticed that you asked about Yokohama hotels, missed that in the first round, that's way too far for your time. If you want a hotel close to some level of city, I would take a hotel by Shinagawa station Very easy to from the airport, and you can both see a bit of the city and get a bit of sleep.

I will ping a moderator to get the non lounge related posts moved to the Japan connection thread, as there are usually many good tips to be had there.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I first-timer in Tokyo is not going to have a good time trying to navigate the city overnight. If you were in Seoul, I'd recommend it since there are very specific hotspots that are very foreigner friendly and open until the morning, but the English level tends to be lower in Tokyo and a lot of spots can be difficult to find.

I've never attempted it, but that's not to say 100% you shouldn't do it. You could very well end up having a fantastic time.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by elliott44k
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I first-timer in Tokyo is not going to have a good time trying to navigate the city overnight. If you were in Seoul, I'd recommend it since there are very specific hotspots that are very foreigner friendly and open until the morning, but the English level tends to be lower in Tokyo and a lot of spots can be difficult to find.

I've never attempted it, but that's not to say 100% you shouldn't do it. You could very well end up having a fantastic time.
We will be in Seoul as well so I'm excited to hear that. I think we are learning towards getting some late night sushi, udon, or ramen and walking around. The SO would much rather spend the $200 on food or drinks than a restless night at a hotel. I've been reading and it seems like Shibuya and Roppongi might be the areas with the most late night activities?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We will be in Seoul as well so I'm excited to hear that. I think we are learning towards getting some late night sushi, udon, or ramen and walking around. The SO would much rather spend the $200 on food or drinks than a restless night at a hotel. I've been reading and it seems like Shibuya and Roppongi might be the areas with the most late night activities?
I'd skip Roppongi and head for Shibuya if you do want to take the night out. Be aware that trains do shut down between 1am and 5am. So there will be a period where you will need to rely on taxis if you plan to move longer distances.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
I'd skip Roppongi and head for Shibuya if you do want to take the night out. Be aware that trains do shut down between 1am and 5am. So there will be a period where you will need to rely on taxis if you plan to move longer distances.
Also just a note, taxis are pricey in Tokyo but really cheap in Seoul
Too_Fly1 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elliott44k
Also just a note, taxis are pricey in Tokyo but really cheap in Seoul
That is indeed true.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IAD-NRT-MNL (and reverse)

NH 1 IAD-NRT arriving 3:25 PM
NH 819 NRT-MNL departing 5:15 PM
International to International (obviously)
One ticket booking.
I believe all flights will arrive/depart from Terminal 1.

I'm assuming that 1:50 is ample time to connect (assuming on time arrival).
Special procedures needed?
Security check?
Time to grab snacks for the next leg?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmjaffe
NH 1 IAD-NRT arriving 3:25 PM
NH 819 NRT-MNL departing 5:15 PM
International to International (obviously)
One ticket booking.
I believe all flights will arrive/depart from Terminal 1.

I'm assuming that 1:50 is ample time to connect (assuming on time arrival).
Special procedures needed?
Security check?
Time to grab snacks for the next leg?

Thanks!
More than ample time to connect. MCT for that situation is 45 minutes .

Follow the signs for international connections, and go through transit security. That's it. There would probably be time for a full meal and then some.
mnbp likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
More than ample time to connect. MCT for that situation is 45 minutes .

Follow the signs for international connections, and go through transit security. That's it. There would probably be time for a full meal and then some.
Excellent! Thanks so much for confirming my suspicions.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:31 pm

Could you assist with this?
  • Arriving at NRT
  • on Etihad at 13:00
  • Departing on Jetstar to Osaka (KIX) at 14:55
  • Connection time is 1 hour 55 minutes
  • International to domestic (Int-Dom), with checked luggage (possibly, haven’t decided yet. If checked, will need to re-check)
  • Separately-booked ticket
Thank you

Palmer
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palmer
  • Arriving at NRT
  • International to domestic (Int-Dom), with checked luggage (possibly, haven’t decided yet. If checked, will need to re-check)
Thank you

Palmer
If everything is on time, it is possible. But I would book more time between the two. There is almost zero buffer.

Etihad arrives in T1 and Jetstar departs from T3. You would need take the inter terminal bus to get over there.

On seperate tickets you will need to maintain the check in deadline of a low cost carrier, rather than just a connection bag drop And have no protection in case your inbound is late
​​​​​​
Palmer likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 4, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Palmer
  • Arriving at NRT
Thank you

Palmer
Looks tight.
ETIHAD is at T1 and Jetstar is at T3.
After landing, you will need to 1) go through immigration, 2) collect luggage, 3) go through customs, 4) take the inter-terminal bus to T3, 5) check in for Jetstar, 6) go through security
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/shuttlebus

If you take 45 mins to get through immigration and customs, 20 mins for transit from T1 to T3 ... You'll reach T3 about 50 mins before departure.
Your chances are better with hand luggage only.
Palmer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.