Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Arrive NRT depart HND
All flights on JAL on a single ticket
Int-Int SAN-NRT-HND-SIN
Connection time 7Hrs

I deliberately booked the HND-SIN route vs the 1hr 5min connection on NRT-SIN simply to take the opportunity to explore Tokyo a little as I’ve never visited Japan before.

I’m looking for advice as to how make the best use of my time on the ground. We land at NRT at 16:50 and depart HND T 00:05 the next day. Is it best to take the limo bus and head straight to HND and drop off our checked luggage (assuming I we can drop off that far in advance) and then head back towards town, perhaps on the monorail and do some sightseeing and try some of the local food and drink for dinner, or take the HEX to Shinagawa and hopefully find some place to store our luggage for a little while and then do the sightseeing/dinner before heading down to HND.

i believe that that is a shower room available landside at HND that is available to JAL business and first passengers. Is is available to JAL passengers who arrived at NRT and had to transit to HND? Barring that, are there showers available at the Sakura lounge in the International terminal as it would be nice to freshen up before the flight to SIN.

Thanks in advance.

TIAT Shower room on the arrivals floor is indeed open to JL business class passengers arriving at HND.

However, they do say explicitly:
羽田空港到着のJAL運航国際線をJAL便名でご利用されたお客さまが、到着当日のみご利用い ただけます。
(Passengers [Business/JL elite Sapphire+] arriving at Haneda on a JAL-operated flight, with JL flight numbers are eligible, only on the day of arrival)
Obviously, you could shower at the departure lounge at HND.

If you insist on showering at NRT, JAL is also running a promotion until 3/31 at NRT (where they also lack an arrivals lounge) where you can get a complimentary shower at the Terminal 2 capsule hotel, 9Hours.

JALŤ‘ŤŰü - ƒVƒƒƒŹ[ƒ‹[ƒ€@–ł—żƒLƒƒƒ“ƒy[ƒ“
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Thank you all for the advice. I was trying to leave the shower as late as possible as I arrive at SIN at 6:15 the next morning and can’t check in to my hotel till the afternoon. It looks like the shower room at the JAL lounge at HND will work for us.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:18 pm

Anyone can share a more recent experience with international-to-international transfers at FUK?

I have the option for a flight via FUK with 1:05h transfer time in FUK with hand luggage only and on separate tickets.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Connecting NRT INT-DOM, single ticket
LAX-NRT on UA in biz
NRT-HIJ on NH (Ibex) CRJ700
2:00 connection

If I read the website correctly, I have to go landside between flights. I'm not worried about making the connection so much, but more wondering whether I would have time to detour to pick up a pocket wifi router or SIM card while I'm landside...
Thx in advance.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF
Connecting NRT INT-DOM, single ticket
LAX-NRT on UA in biz
NRT-HIJ on NH (Ibex) CRJ700
2:00 connection

If I read the website correctly, I have to go landside between flights. I'm not worried about making the connection so much, but more wondering whether I would have time to detour to pick up a pocket wifi router or SIM card while I'm landside...
Thx in advance.
You're just going to pick it up at one of the outlets in Terminal 1's arrival concourse, right?
You should have plenty of time. After you clear customs and bag-drop for NH domestic, you'll be out on the arrival concourse anyways. I usually like to head to domestic security >20min before departure. But even then you should have plenty of time provided normal circumstances.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Most helpful - thank you for this thread.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) with 3 US passports and one Thai passport (US Permanent Residence or Green Card) traveling in mid December. Here are the required details:
  • Airport which we are transiting: NRT
  • The airline on which we are arriving: Japan Airlines # 65 SAN-NRT Business
  • The airline on which you are departing: Japan Airlines 707 NRT-BKK (the next day in Coach)
  • Connection time in hours/minutes: 25:30 hours
  • Connecting, International to International
  • Both flights on single ticket (itinerary) for 4 award seats booked using AS miles (if this info matters)
Now, does the luggage go directly to final destination?

US permanent residency require a visa to Japan?

And which hotel/activity should we use/do that have ease of access to/from NRT?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Most helpful - thank you for this thread.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) with 3 US passports and one Thai passport (US Permanent Residence or Green Card) traveling in mid December. Here are the required details:
  • Airport which we are transiting: NRT
  • The airline on which we are arriving: Japan Airlines # 65 SAN-NRT Business
  • The airline on which you are departing: Japan Airlines 707 NRT-BKK (the next day in Coach)
  • Connection time in hours/minutes: 25:30 hours
  • Connecting, International to International
  • Both flights on single ticket (itinerary) for 4 award seats booked using AS miles (if this info matters)
Now, does the luggage go directly to final destination?

US permanent residency require a visa to Japan?

And which hotel/activity should we use/do that have ease of access to/from NRT?

Thanks again!
The Thai passport will be the deciding factor, not the US permanent residency. If the Thai passport is of the e-passport type with a chip in it, visa is not required for stays up to 15 days, if it is not an e-passport a visa is required to enter Japan.

I would expect with more than 24 hours in transit you will need to reclaim your luggage.

I would take a bus or train in to the center of Tokyo and stay there. Have dinner and a bit of sightseeing before returning to Narita airport

​​​​​

​​​
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Thai passport will be the deciding factor, not the US permanent residency. If the Thai passport is of the e-passport type with a chip in it, visa is not required for stays up to 15 days, if it is not an e-passport a visa is required to enter Japan.

I would expect with more than 24 hours in transit you will need to reclaim your luggage.

I would take a bus or train in to the center of Tokyo and stay there. Have dinner and a bit of sightseeing before returning to Narita airport​​​​​​
Fortunately all passports are of the e-passport type. But would like to know definitively about the luggage situation. Thank you for the recommendation.

Another quick question, which Intercontinental Hotel in Tokyo is best suited for such an over-night?

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another quick question, which Intercontinental Hotel in Tokyo is best suited for such an over-night?
I’d say the Strings which is right next to Shinagawa.
They have never been over generous with upgrades but rooms are nice and have excellent views.
You can get a round trip discount to from NRT on the Narita Express which goes directly to Shinagawa Station.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html

This would make it cheaper than getting the Limousine Bus to/from the ANA IC Hotel in Roppongi. If you have status with IC this hotel may give you more bang for your buck.

I’d recommend going over your options in the Intercontinental Hotel Group forum.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Last time I checked, luggage can be checked through for connections up to 24 hours max. IIRC, the 24 hour limit is specified by NRT airport, rather than by any airline. So I think CPH-Flyer is correct that you'll need to reclaim your luggage when you arrive at NRT.

Is that definitive? Well, it can't hurt to ask when you check in. But I guess you might pack differently if you know that you can check luggage through..?
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:35 am
tt7

We are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) traveling in mid December.
You don’t mention how old the kids are (babies? teenagers?) or your familarity with Japan? With a 4.45 pm arrival and a 6.15 pm next day departure, there’s obviously a limited amount of time for sightseeing, even if you are familiar with Tokyo. As an alternative to going in to Tokyo (which is quite a distance from Narita) you may want to consider staying at one of the airport hotels (which are a few miles away). They generally all have shuttles to/from Narita Airport and also to Narita City. If you’ve never been to Japan and/or are not familiar with Tokyo, spending time exploring Narita City may be an easier alternative. It also appears that the airport has various free tours - perhaps returning to the airport in the morning to check in/leave luggage and then taking one of their tours would work?

Narita Airport tours
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by tt7
You don’t mention how old the kids are (babies? teenagers?) or your familarity with Japan? With a 4.45 pm arrival and a 6.15 pm next day departure, there’s obviously a limited amount of time for sightseeing, even if you are familiar with Tokyo. As an alternative to going in to Tokyo (which is quite a distance from Narita) you may want to consider staying at one of the airport hotels (which are a few miles away). They generally all have shuttles to/from Narita Airport and also to Narita City. If you’ve never been to Japan and/or are not familiar with Tokyo, spending time exploring Narita City may be an easier alternative. It also appears that the airport has various free tours - perhaps returning to the airport in the morning to check in/leave luggage and then taking one of their tours would work?
Thank you for the link to the NRT tours - what a great idea!

Other than the usual transit through NRT or KIX, we never been to Japan. Agreed on the limited time to explore anything and not to get too far from the airport.

Our kids are 8 and 10 years of age and love to interact with kids their age. Our interests are mostly culinary and cultural to visit temples and palaces. So any suggestion for good grub in the area is useful.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA, NW
Thank you for the link to the NRT tours - what a great idea!

Other than the usual transit through NRT or KIX, we never been to Japan. Agreed on the limited time to explore anything and not to get too far from the airport.

Our kids are 8 and 10 years of age and love to interact with kids their age. Our interests are mostly culinary and cultural to visit temples and palaces. So any suggestion for good grub in the area is useful.
The town of Narita has a temple with lovely wooded grounds that is a famous pilgrimage spot and is otherwise a fairly typical small city. No palaces, though.
Since you will be there in December, you may want to go to the Aeon Mall, which may (or may not) be decorated for the holiday season.
If you can find a hotel in town, it will be only a brief train ride from the airport on a LOCAL Keisei train. However, I do not recommend the APA Hotel, which has rooms that are tiny even by Japanese standards and serves poor-quality food.
If you're feeling ambitious, stay on the Keisei local line to Keisei-Sakura, which is about 2000 meters from the National Museum of Japanese History. Again, no palaces, but it does have some castle ruins.
https://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/index.html
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ksandness
The town of Narita has a temple with lovely wooded grounds that is a famous pilgrimage spot and is otherwise a fairly typical small city. No palaces, though.
Since you will be there in December, you may want to go to the Aeon Mall, which may (or may not) be decorated for the holiday season.
If you can find a hotel in town, it will be only a brief train ride from the airport on a LOCAL Keisei train. However, I do not recommend the APA Hotel, which has rooms that are tiny even by Japanese standards and serves poor-quality food.
If you're feeling ambitious, stay on the Keisei local line to Keisei-Sakura, which is about 2000 meters from the National Museum of Japanese History. Again, no palaces, but it does have some castle ruins.
https://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/index.html
As the Intercontinentals and the Hyatts are far away in Tokyo, I'm looking at the Crown Plaza Narita. The rate for 2 adults and 2 kids for a "suite" including breakfast and tax will be around $160. Not a bad deal and will read up on this property to see if they offer airport shuttle which will be a tremendous help with the luggage.

Will probably do the AEON mall in the evening and have dinner at a Yakitori or Izakaya - hopefully not too rowdy for the kids. Anyone experiences with Marunoya (まるのや)?

In the morning, will tour the Naritasan Shinshoji Temple after breakfast.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:47 pm
tt7

..... and will read up on this property to see if they offer airport shuttle which will be a tremendous help with the luggage.
The buses leave from outside the terminal - the first row of bus stops are for the limousine buses in to Tokyo etc. and then the hotel shuttle buses etc. go from the bus stops a bit further out (away) from the terminal. According to this website, the Crowne Plaza shuttle goes from stop 25 (terminal 2) or stop 16 (terminal 1). The shuttle buses generally run to a fixed schedule so you may want to ask the hotel for a copy of the schedule so you know what time you're aiming for (i.e., whether to run as fast as you can or dawdle...). If you miss it, you can always take a cab, which shouldn't be more than about Ą2,000. The only time we've ever taken a cab in Japan was when we missed the Hilton shuttle (got there just as it went by.....) and the next one wasn't for an hour.

According to the Crown Plaza website, they also have a shuttle into Narita. It'll probably drop you by the JR Narita station; from there it's an easy walk down Omote-sando, which has various shops and restaurants, to get to the Naritasan Shinsho-ji Temple.
Kalboz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.