Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As long as you bring a print of your e ticket, so that the check in staff can see you have a ticket departing Japan again, all should be fine. Bring it for immigration as well, though they are not very likely to ask to see it.

I am not sure about Asiana, but generally Star Alliance are pretty good about checking luggage through to separate tickets Here you will need a print of your other eticket. The LCCs will not check your luggage through
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
We do have ANA e-tickets for the trip back. Will print them out.
Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:52 pm

- Connecting through HND
- landing ANA First ORD-HND at 8:30p
- considering booking JAL Business HND-SIN departing 12:05a
- connection time of 3h35m
- Int-Int
- separately booked tickets.

Will I have access to both the ANA Suite and JAL Sakura lounges because of my arrival and departure, respectively? Will I need to clear immigrations & customs, or just a security check? Should I leave myself more time for relaxing in lounges after a long flight or to sleep a bit?

Last edited by nskh; Oct 15, 2018 at 8:12 pm Reason: bullet points
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nskh
- Connecting through HND
- landing ANA First ORD-HND at 8:30p
- considering booking JAL Business HND-SIN departing 12:05a
- connection time of 3h35m
- Int-Int
- separately booked tickets.

Will I have access to both the ANA Suite and JAL Sakura lounges because of my arrival and departure, respectively? Will I need to clear immigrations & customs, or just a security check? Should I leave myself more time for relaxing in lounges after a long flight or to sleep a bit?
ANA will check your luggage through (if you have it) and issue your boarding pass for the second flight in ORD

There will be transit security at Haneda, no immigration, and no need to pick up luggage

Arriving in F on NH and a same airport connection on NH will give you access to the Suite LOUNGE.

3:35 is more than plenty of time for the connection, and leaving plenty of time to enjoy the lounge The lounge does get very crowded after 10pm. As in VERY crowded. It is not a good first class lounge by any measure, but not a bad place to spend a bit of time.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
ANA will check your luggage through (if you have it) and issue your boarding pass for the second flight in ORD

There will be transit security at Haneda, no immigration, and no need to pick up luggage

Arriving in F on NH and a same airport connection on NH will give you access to the Suite LOUNGE.

3:35 is more than plenty of time for the connection, and leaving plenty of time to enjoy the lounge The lounge does get very crowded after 10pm. As in VERY crowded. It is not a good first class lounge by any measure, but not a bad place to spend a bit of time.
Wait, would ANA be able to issue a boarding pass for a JAL flight? The transit security should be right before I enter the departure area of the terminal, right?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Connecting in NRT:

HKG-NRT on HK Express
2h 40min connection time
NRT-ORD on ANA F

Several questions/concerns:

Checking a bag - will HK Express through check my bag?
If not, what is the process for getting the bag and re-checking in?
Is there a transfer desk or will I need to clear customs?
Is 160 mins enough time?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Connecting in NRT:

HKG-NRT on HK Express
2h 40min connection time
NRT-ORD on ANA F

Is 160 mins enough time?
I can't be 100% sure, but I doubt that an LCC like HK Express will interline.
You would need to grab your checked bag, enter Jpn, transfer to T1, recheck bag with ANA, then clear security & departure immi.
If HK Express is on time, then 2hr40min be fine barring catastrophic line at immigration. But if it runs an hour late, you'll be cutting it very close.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Connecting in NRT:

HKG-NRT on HK Express
2h 40min connection time
NRT-ORD on ANA F

Is 160 mins enough time?
Hong Kong Express arrives in terminal 2, ANA departs from terminal one. So you will need to change terminals.

HKE is a low cost carrier, there is little to no change that they will check your luggage through. You will need to go through immigration, pick up your luggage, pass customs. Then take an inter terminal bus and check in with ANA

ANA cut off is if I remember correctly 60 minutes, though you could probably shave a bit of you are late and ask nicely. I would expect wheels down to exiting customs to be 30 to 60 minutes.

If it was me, I would get a connection with more time in between flights
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by evergrn
I can't be 100% sure, but I doubt that an LCC like HK Express will interline.
You would need to grab your checked bag, enter Jpn, transfer to T1, recheck bag with ANA, then clear security & departure immi.
If HK Express is on time, then 2hr40min be fine barring catastrophic line at immigration. But if it runs an hour late, you'll be cutting it very close.
Thanks for the info. I knew I needed to get from T2 to T1, just wasn't sure how long it typically takes/if 160 mins is sufficient.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Hong Kong Express arrives in terminal 2, ANA departs from terminal one. So you will need to change terminals.

HKE is a low cost carrier, there is little to no change that they will check your luggage through. You will need to go through immigration, pick up your luggage, pass customs. Then take an inter terminal bus and check in with ANA

ANA cut off is if I remember correctly 60 minutes, though you could probably shave a bit of you are late and ask nicely. I would expect wheels down to exiting customs to be 30 to 60 minutes.

If it was me, I would get a connection with more time in between flights
Thank! The problem is that this is the earliest flight from HKG that isn't $$$ or a red-eye. Guess I can attempt to use some Avios on Cathay and arrive an hour earlier.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Guess I can attempt to use some Avios on Cathay and arrive an hour earlier.
Even CX (Cathay Pacific) on two separate tickets connecting to different alliance, not sure if CX will through check your luggage to ORD at HKG. Better check with CX.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Even CX (Cathay Pacific) on two separate tickets connecting to different alliance, not sure if CX will through check your luggage to ORD at HKG. Better check with CX.
CX checks luggage through to carriers with an interline agreement, that includes NH.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
For something like this, if you ask the airline rep, there's a chance they will give you the wrong info.
Both EVA and CX told me I couldn't through check bag on separate tix from one to the other. But the airport agent through-checked for me, no problem.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Arrive NRT depart HND
All flights on JAL on a single ticket
Int-Int SAN-NRT-HND-SIN
Connection time 7Hrs

I deliberately booked the HND-SIN route vs the 1hr 5min connection on NRT-SIN simply to take the opportunity to explore Tokyo a little as I’ve never visited Japan before.

I’m looking for advice as to how make the best use of my time on the ground. We land at NRT at 16:50 and depart HND T 00:05 the next day. Is it best to take the limo bus and head straight to HND and drop off our checked luggage (assuming I we can drop off that far in advance) and then head back towards town, perhaps on the monorail and do some sightseeing and try some of the local food and drink for dinner, or take the HEX to Shinagawa and hopefully find some place to store our luggage for a little while and then do the sightseeing/dinner before heading down to HND.

i believe that that is a shower room available landside at HND that is available to JAL business and first passengers. Is is available to JAL passengers who arrived at NRT and had to transit to HND? Barring that, are there showers available at the Sakura lounge in the International terminal as it would be nice to freshen up before the flight to SIN.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
’m looking for advice as to how make the best use of my time on the ground. We land at NRT at 16:50 and depart HND T 00:05 the next day. Is it best to take the limo bus and head straight to HND and drop off our checked luggage (assuming I we can drop off that far in advance) and then head back towards town, perhaps on the monorail and do some sightseeing and try some of the local food and drink for dinner, or take the HEX to Shinagawa and hopefully find some place to store our luggage for a little while and then do the sightseeing/dinner before heading down to HND.
I would recommend taking the N'EX to Shinagawa. Store luggage in coin lockers. Then visit

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
i believe that that is a shower room available landside at HND that is available to JAL business and first passengers. Is is available to JAL passengers who arrived at NRT and had to transit to HND? Barring that, are there showers available at the Sakura lounge in the International terminal as it would be nice to freshen up before the flight to SIN.
Unless you have status or tickets that give you lounge access I don't think you'll get a free shower. But you can pay for a shower at HND.
That said, I would suggest taking a shower when you arrive at NRT. There are landslide shower rooms for a fee.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to add to that, yes there are showers in the Sakura lounge. I have no idea about how busy they are in the evening, but I might aim for that if fit was me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.