Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta
Luggage will be checked all the way through. You'll have extra time for drinking, eating, shopping, or whatever.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Transfer HND to NRT

Hi all!

I found a great MR deal but it would mean transferring in Japan and changing airports. I really did look for a thread regarding transferring. I failed.

How much time do I need? The MR would give me 4 hours. Can it be done?

Thank you!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:40 am

MR means no checked bags, correct?
If your plane arrives on time or even close to an hour late, I'm certain you'll be fine with 4 hours.

With checked bags, you'd also be fine most likely. But if your outbound flight is delayed >30min, it could get real tight.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
well, its a same ticket connection. so as long as you're not flying right back im sure airline will sort sth out.
but MCT is 3 hours so even with a delay you'd still be fine.
if you think you will anticipate road traffic,
skyliner to nippori(36 mins), go to hamamatsucho on JR (fastest may have a train change), then monorail(13-16 mins). this should take you 90-100 mins.
ksandness likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by kaka
well, its a same ticket connection. so as long as you're not flying right back im sure airline will sort sth out.
but MCT is 3 hours so even with a delay you'd still be fine.
if you think you will anticipate road traffic,
skyliner to nippori(36 mins), go to hamamatsucho on JR (fastest may have a train change), then monorail(13-16 mins). this should take you 90-100 mins.
Since both Nippori and Hamamatsucho are on the amoeba-shaped Yamanote line, there should be no train change if one takes the line (silver trains with green stripes) in the direction of Shibuya and Shinjuku.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
Since both Nippori and Hamamatsucho are on the amoeba-shaped Yamanote line, there should be no train change if one takes the line (silver trains with green stripes) in the direction of Shibuya and Shinjuku.
Generally take the first train of the Yamanote or Keihintohoku line, and it will be the first to arrive in Hamamatsucho.

However, when the kaisoku (fast) trains operate on the Keihintohoku there is a change to save a bit of time by changing from the Yamanote to the Keihintohoku at Ueno, Akihabara, or Tokyo. But it is basically only going to save you the stops at Okachimachi, Yurakucho, and Shmbashi. So if you time it well, maybe you can save two minutes. The fast trains don't stop at Nippori so it would make a dash from platform side to platform side needed. Only worth it if the trains pull in at the same time. If you have to wait, you loose time on the change
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting NARITA
  • The airline on which you are arriving ANA (UA flight#) (ARRIVING 3:10 PM)
  • The airline on which you are departing UA (DEPARTING 5:00 PM)
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes 1:50 HOURS
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom) INT-INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets SINGLE TICKET, all booked with UA, and on UA flight numbers. Carry on only.
Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kyee
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting NARITA
  • The airline on which you are arriving ANA (UA flight#) (ARRIVING 3:10 PM)
  • The airline on which you are departing UA (DEPARTING 5:00 PM)
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes 1:50 HOURS
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom) INT-INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets SINGLE TICKET, all booked with UA, and on UA flight numbers. Carry on only.
Thanks!
More than plenty of time. All you need is transit security, and you are ready to head to the departure gate. Or the lounge.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
3 hour 50 minute Layover in HND

Arriving 6:30am and departing at 10:20am (NH844 to NH110) in J. Would it be possible to head into the Shinagawa / Hamamatsucho area to find some Yamazaki / Hibiki?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Arriving 6:30am and departing at 10:20am (NH844 to NH110) in J. Would it be possible to head into the Shinagawa / Hamamatsucho area to find some Yamazaki / Hibiki?
Sure. If your flight arrives on time, then you'll probably be in Shinagawa around 7.30am or a little after. You'll probably have ~1hr in Shinagawa before you have to head back. In Shinagawa station, some things are open ~7am, but many things don't open till ~10pm. So you'll need to check the store hours. There's also a Donkihote (store that sells pretty much everything) in Kamata, which is really close to HND. But I know nothing about whiskeys and where to get them (as you probably know, there's a huge thread dedicated to it).
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
In Shinagawa station, some things are open ~7am, but many things don't open till ~10am. So you'll need to check the store hours.
Just fixed that for you.
Having stayed in Shinagawa on numerous occasions, I can confirm that, barring the ubiquitous convenience stores, there is very little open in Shinagawa (or Hamamatsucho) at that time in the morning.
People choose to stay in this area for the transport links, not because it is a “happening” zone.
The Kamata Don Quijote suggestion is a fine one.
evergrn likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:46 am

Thank you @evergrn @LapLap for the Kamata Don Quijote suggestion - much appreciated. Aware of the challenges with sourcing Yamazaki and Hibiki these days, but figured with such a long connection, there is only so much I can do in the ANA lounge. Can also pick up trinkets on the cheap vs. any shop in HND!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only problem with Kamata is that it takes 15minutes to get to Keikyu Kamata station from Haneda but nearly 40 minutes to get to the main JR Kamata station where the store is. The Keikyu line station is about a 10/15 minute walk away from the Donki store.

If your plan is to take the longer route to the JR Kamata station, you might want to consider one of the larger Donki stores. There is a Mega store a few hundred yards from Yako station in Kawasaki. By train, there’s not much difference between going from Haneda to JR Kamata or Yako station.
Personally, I’d go to Keikyu Kamata station and walk over to the main JR Kamata station (or take a taxi if time is tight).
evergrn likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:33 pm

I think the walk from Keikyu Kamata station is fine - straightforward one seat ride and looks like an easy 10 minute walk for me. May also find some diamonds in rough versus some of the Mega / high-traffic locations. Thanks again!
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:57 pm

There is a mini don Quixote(soradonki) store landside of hnd intl terminal

Probably doesn't sell alcohol (don't remember), but you can at least get some sourveirs. Slightly more expensive than the regular mega donki and not as much selection, but it's much better than your typical airport store

If your inbound flight gets delayed but enough time for going thru immigration, it's not a bad idea to stop by this (and the viewing deck nextdoor)

SORADONKI Haneda Airport International Terminal
LapLap likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.