Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Allan Kato
My family (wife, 7-yr old child) and I are booked on one ticket aboard Jetstar mid-March from MNL-CTS, with a 2.5-hour transit at KIX T1.

Our ETA at KIX is 0530 and ETD for CTS is at 0800. I understand that at KIX we have to clear immigration, retrieve our luggage, clear customs, then check-in at the domestic desk located on another floor. I've heard that the immigration lines at KIX are horrible (I've never arrived in Japan at KIX).

Is the 2.5-hour transit feasible? Any tips so we can speed things up a bit? In case we don't make our connection, will Jetstar put us through to the next flight to CTS without any added charges?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
I would not worry about 2.5 hours, though I have not seen the immigration lines that early in the day. But I can't imagine them to be that bad, to make 2.5 hours impossible. If you are running very late and time is getting tight talk to the people guiding the lines, they will probably help you to the front of the line.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would not worry about 2.5 hours, though I have not seen the immigration lines that early in the day. But I can't imagine them to be that bad, to make 2.5 hours impossible. If you are running very late and time is getting tight talk to the people guiding the lines, they will probably help you to the front of the line.
Thank you for the reply. The only reason the time has me a little worried is because I was in Seoul last November, and our plane arrived at 6 am. We encountered an absolutely horrendous jam at the immigration line. Took us about an hour and a half from the end of the line until we got cleared. I'm just a little paranoid from that experience, I guess.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
U’ll b very fine. Chances are that your flight is the earliest few flights arriving into kix. In those cases i can gerenally go thru immigration and customs in 15 minutes, when i fly cx566.
Then you go up 1floor for the domestic departures.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
judging by the schedule at 0600 the flight shall be one of the earliest and tgere wouldnt be multiple arrivals.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Airport: NRT
Arriving on: TG676 @ 15:50 in F
Departing on: NH006 @17:00 IN F
Connection time: 1:10
All booked as a single ticket with UA miles

Hi everyone, I’m traveling BKK-NRT-LAX-SFO in December. A little nervous about the tight connection at Narita. Should I be worried or looking at another itinerary? Reason for double connect was to grab award space.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Mar 4, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Airport: NRT
Arriving on: TG676 @ 15:50 in F
Departing on: NH006 @17:00 IN F
Connection time: 1:10
All booked as a single ticket with UA miles

Hi everyone, I’m traveling BKK-NRT-LAX-SFO in December. A little nervous about the tight connection at Narita. Should I be worried or looking at another itinerary? Reason for double connect was to grab award space.
There is absolute no need to worry. 1h 10m is more than plenty in NRT for a single ticket connection. I would expect that you even have time for a quick lounge stop.
All you will need is a quick transit security, and you are on your way to the next flight. TG generally sends staff to assist F passengers with connections in NRT and HND.
Dublin_rfk and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
There is absolute no need to worry. 1h 10m is more than plenty in NRT for a single ticket connection. I would expect that you even have time for a quick lounge stop.
All you will need is a quick transit security, and you are on your way to the next flight. TG generally sends staff to assist F passengers with connections in NRT and HND.
thanks so much!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:57 pm

I am flying out of Toronto on AC5 arriving at Tokyo Haneda Apt (HND) Mon Apr 16 at 15:35
I want to take a JAL Japan Explorer Pass flight straight to Osaka right after I land.

I am thinking of taking this connecting JAL flight:
17:30 Tokyo(HND)
18:35 Osaka(ITM)

Will the 115 mins be enough to pick up baggage, go through customs, drop off, shuttle to domestic?
I was advised by the JAL rep to take the one an hour later (18:30) which gives me 175 mins but I do want to get to Osaka ASAP.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
EDIT - I misread the arrival airport in your post. Sorry.
Originally Posted by bino3005
I am flying out of Toronto on AC5 arriving at Tokyo Haneda Apt (HND) Mon Apr 16 at 15:35
I want to take a JAL Japan Explorer Pass flight straight to Osaka right after I land.

I am thinking of taking this connecting JAL flight:
17:30 Tokyo(HND)
18:35 Osaka(ITM)

Will the 115 mins be enough to pick up baggage, go through customs, drop off, shuttle to domestic?
I was advised by the JAL rep to take the one an hour later (18:30) which gives me 175 mins but I do want to get to Osaka ASAP.

Thanks!
Welcome to FT bino
I would say that your transit with an airport change from NRT airport to HND airport is just about impossible in 115 minutes.

There are flights from NRT to Osaka. (Air Canada shares Terminal 1 with ANA, so that's your best connection to Osaka). Are you aware of all options to get to your destination? There are two airports in Osaka and another one in Kobe. Trains are also a good option. If you want to get to downtown Osaka, you could take the train. Journey time is 3.5 hours from NRT.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 19, 2018 at 6:55 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Welcome to FT bino
I would say that your transit with an airport change from NRT airport to HND airport is just about impossible in 115 minutes.

There are flights from NRT to Osaka. (Air Canada shares Terminal 1 with ANA, so that's your best connection to Osaka). Are you aware of all options to get to your destination? There are two airports in Osaka and another one in Kobe. Trains are also a good option. If you want to get to downtown Osaka, you could take the train. Journey time is 3.5 hours from NRT.
AC f light 5 does as OP state go to Haneda. Not to Narita. No change of airports.

That being said, I will agree with JAL that 115 minutes is very tight, and should not be recommended. If all goes well, it can be done, but the room for delay and error is more than just slim.. I would take the later option if it was me.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
AC f light 5 does as OP state go to Haneda. Not to Narita. No change of airports.
Ooops. Sorry. I wasn't paying attention.
If I had to make a 115 minute connection from HND International to HND T1 (JAL Terminal) I'd avoid checking luggage. Its doable. Domestic flights from HND allow check in up to 20 minutes before departure, I think. That said, I would probably opt for the ANA departure at 6pm.
Depending on where the OP actually wants to go, the train may be worth considering, although the cost is higher than a discounted flight. You can get to downtown Osaka within three hours and the departures from Shinagawa are extremely frequent - every six minutes or so - so you won't be hanging around waiting.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:17 am

That being said, I will agree with JAL that 115 minutes is very tight, and should not be recommended. If all goes well, it can be done, but the room for delay and error is more than just slim.. I would take the later option if it was me.
I've read other posts online that the transfer is relatively quick and some people say it's okay even in 90 mins?
What's the part that takes long? Customs? Baggage Transfer?

Thanks for the response!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bino3005
I've read other posts online that the transfer is relatively quick and some people say it's okay even in 90 mins?
What's the part that takes long? Customs? Baggage Transfer?

Thanks for the response!
I don't think that the JAL Explorer counts as a single ticket connection, i.e. you don't get the benefit of airline support in terms of delayed inbound, nor your connection being protected.

On an ideal arrival, I would say I am through Haneda from wheels down to waiting for the monorail in 30 minutes. That is based on using automated passport lanes and having JAL F tags on my bags. But if you land on a bad day at runway 05 you can add another 20 minutes of taxiing to that. The domestic check in counter in the International terminal accepts baggage until 45 minutes before departure.

​​​​​​As I wrote it can be done, in 115 minutes. If it was a single ticket connection with the benefits that provides, or if the explorer pass counts that way, I would do it. But if you carry the risk of the connection my recommendation would be leave some extra time. The JAL Explorer Pass tickets are not flexible
​​​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Ooops. Sorry. I wasn't paying attention.
If I had to make a 115 minute connection from HND International to HND T1 (JAL Terminal) I'd avoid checking luggage. Its doable. Domestic flights from HND allow check in up to 20 minutes before departure, I think. That said, I would probably opt for the ANA departure at 6pm.
Depending on where the OP actually wants to go, the train may be worth considering, although the cost is higher than a discounted flight. You can get to downtown Osaka within three hours and the departures from Shinagawa are extremely frequent - every six minutes or so - so you won't be hanging around waiting.
Thanks for the reply!

So I have 2 big luggages so that's why I think it's more convenient to fly vs trying to go to different stations and taking bullet train? Unless I am wrong.
How much time does having luggages add to the 115min window?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:39 pm

I don't think that the JAL Explorer counts as a single ticket connection, i.e. you don't get the benefit of airline support in terms of delayed inbound, nor your connection being protected.

On an ideal arrival, I would say I am through Haneda from wheels down to waiting for the monorail in 30 minutes. That is based on using automated passport lanes and having JAL F tags on my bags. But if you land on a bad day at runway 05 you can add another 20 minutes of taxiing to that. The domestic check in counter in the International terminal accepts baggage until 45 minutes before departure.

​​​​​​As I wrote it can be done, in 115 minutes. If it was a single ticket connection with the benefits that provides, or if the explorer pass counts that way, I would do it. But if you carry the risk of the connection my recommendation would be leave some extra time. The JAL Explorer Pass tickets are not flexible
​​​​​​
Would it have made a difference if I took ANA Explorer Pass instead of JAL? Is ANA easier to get to?

Like this flight, is this better?

ANA

To Itami 18:00-19:10

Nonstop 1h25m

Last edited by bino3005; Mar 21, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.