Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:40 am

Thank u!
Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is tight. If you are at the gate at 7:15pm, is is possible. If you only land 7:15pm it is a challenge.

I never book from the airport, I just see what I can catch once I am at the counter. I have never had a bus sold out.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:40 pm

Is there a *A Gold Track Security for transit passengers at NRT?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jbeans
Is there a *A Gold Track Security for transit passengers at NRT?
Unless a very recent addition, only at departure not at transit.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:33 am

NRT/NRT Intl-Intl
HKG-NRT CX (F) arrives 15:30
NRT-JFK JL (Y) departs 19:30
separately-booked tickets
prefer to check 1 bag as it may not fit on the NRT-JFK flight
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by headinclouds
NRT/NRT Intl-Intl
HKG-NRT CX (F) arrives 15:30
NRT-JFK JL (Y) departs 19:30
separately-booked tickets
prefer to check 1 bag as it may not fit on the NRT-JFK flight
Good news is that CX is one of OneWorld airlines decided to continue through check luggage on two separate reservations, given that:

• Connecting airlines have interline agreement with CX
• Connection meets minimum connecting time at that specific airport

Your situation meets above two criteria. Hence, you can check your bag all the way to JFK at HKG even if reservations are under two separate tickets. You do not have to retrieve your checked luggage at NRT and re-check with JL. At NRT simply follow the sign of “International Transit” and you do not have to go through customs and immigration at NRT. 4 hours is more than enough for the transit at NRT.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Oct 12, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:58 am

Hello,

Not sure how this will all work so figured I'd ask here. I am flying on UA from IHA and arrive at Narita. I have another international flight (separate ticket) from Narita to SYD on JAL same day (5hrs later).

I'm assuming I will have to retrieve my bags and go through the Entrance Customs/Immigration and then turn around and go through Exit Customs Immigration? Sorry for the confusing question. This is the first time I've had to buy 2 separate round trip tickets in order to make a trip work with my budget.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by 964chris
Hello,

Not sure how this will all work so figured I'd ask here. I am flying on UA from IHA and arrive at Narita. I have another international flight (separate ticket) from Narita to SYD on JAL same day (5hrs later).

I'm assuming I will have to retrieve my bags and go through the Entrance Customs/Immigration and then turn around and go through Exit Customs Immigration? Sorry for the confusing question. This is the first time I've had to buy 2 separate round trip tickets in order to make a trip work with my budget.
Under your situation it is all dependent on UA’s check luggage policy. I am OneWorld flyer so not too familiar with UA policy. However, on UA website it states:

From United website:

You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:

Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline.
I think you fall under above situation. Hence it is likely UA will check your luggage only to NRT. At NRT you have to:

• upon arrival go through passport control
  • claim luggage
  • go through customs
  • come out on arrival area of Terminal 1 South of NRT
  • take inter-terminal bus (free) to Terminal 2
  • then check luggage with JL
  • go through security and departure passport control at Terminal 2 for your JL flight

5 hrs. is enough time to do all these at NRT.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
  • take inter-terminal bus (free) to Terminal 2
To expand a bit on AlwaysAisle's excellent summary, here's a link to NRT's terminal transfer information page:

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/shuttlebus

As mentioned, UA operates at T1, and JL operates at T2.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
For the first time visiting Japan, I'm arriving internationally into NGO. I'm considering adding on a domestic flight to Fukuoka if I can get Japan Series tickets (and if the Hawks are in it).

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NGO
The airline on which you are arriving: Delta
The airline on which you are departing: TBD
Your connection time in hours/minutes: TBD
How you are connecting: Int-Dom
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket: Separately booked tickets.

I am scheduled to land at 3pm. It looks like the latest (cheap) flight to FUK is at 6:30pm. I feel like this is probably plenty of time but request confirmation from anyone that's experienced I-D in NGO. There are earlier flights as well - what's the earliest you would book in my situation?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by angra
For the first time visiting Japan, I'm arriving internationally into NGO. I'm considering adding on a domestic flight to Fukuoka if I can get Japan Series tickets (and if the Hawks are in it).

I am scheduled to land at 3pm. It looks like the latest (cheap) flight to FUK is at 6:30pm. I feel like this is probably plenty of time but request confirmation from anyone that's experienced I-D in NGO. There are earlier flights as well - what's the earliest you would book in my situation?
I see no reason why this would be a problem. NGO is well set up for transfers between international and domestic flights, since you don't have to travel between terminals. In fact, with a 3.5-hour gap between flights, I would feel confident about transferring between international and domestic flights at either KIX or NRT.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Thanks! How about 5:35?

Anyone here ever use the bath on 4f?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
HND/NRT overnight

I have an overnight connection, arriving into HND on Oct 30 at 20:30 and departing from NRT on Oct 31 at 11:05. The arrival is on ANA and departure is on SQ. Both arrival and departure are international and they are on the same ticket.

Trying to decide whether I can take the limousine bus or other transport to a hotel around NRT after arrival or wait until the next morning. I took a quick look here:

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pl...ches/index/1/7

and it seems that the limo bus stops running at 18:10?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by andreiz
I have an overnight connection, arriving into HND on Oct 30 at 20:30 and departing from NRT on Oct 31 at 11:05. The arrival is on ANA and departure is on SQ. Both arrival and departure are international and they are on the same ticket.

Trying to decide whether I can take the limousine bus or other transport to a hotel around NRT after arrival or wait until the next morning. I took a quick look here:

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pl...ches/index/1/7

and it seems that the limo bus stops running at 18:10?

Any advice is appreciated.
I would probably take one hotels around Shinagawa station, get a decent Tokyo dinner, and catch an Narita Express in the morning.
ksandness and andreiz like this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue
HND/NRT overnight with kids

Arriving into HND at 21:00, leaving NRT at 18:00 next day. But travelling with wife and two kids (8yo and 11 month old).

Hotels at HND appear far more expensive than NRT, but taking a taxi to NRT late at night would cancel any potential savings.

What would FTers suggest?

1. HND on-site airport: if so, which one?
Pros: easier and can get the bus the next day in a leisurely way.
Cons: more pricey

2. Nearby HND airport, short taxi ride (but we'll have ski gear aswell, if that's a consideration for getting a taxi!)
Pros: may be cheaper, might be able to use points (e.g. Hilton Disney)
Cons: getting to the hotel from the airport, and then from hotel to NRT next day may be more of a hassle/ expensive.

3. Other options...

Second question: most japanese hotels only allow 3 guests for standard room...would they make an exception for infants? Would they bat an eyelid (I know Japanese hotels can be _very_ by the book...)?

thanks!

tb
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Arriving into HND at 21:00, leaving NRT at 18:00 next day. But travelling with wife and two kids (8yo and 11 month old).

Hotels at HND appear far more expensive than NRT, but taking a taxi to NRT late at night would cancel any potential savings.

What would FTers suggest?

1. HND on-site airport: if so, which one?
Pros: easier and can get the bus the next day in a leisurely way.
Cons: more pricey

2. Nearby HND airport, short taxi ride (but we'll have ski gear aswell, if that's a consideration for getting a taxi!)
Pros: may be cheaper, might be able to use points (e.g. Hilton Disney)
Cons: getting to the hotel from the airport, and then from hotel to NRT next day may be more of a hassle/ expensive.

3. Other options...

Second question: most japanese hotels only allow 3 guests for standard room...would they make an exception for infants? Would they bat an eyelid (I know Japanese hotels can be _very_ by the book...)?
If you have ski gear and everything, I think your best bet is to stay at HND... whichever is the cheaper of the two between Royal Park and Excel Tokyu. Actually, if you're arriving via domestic ANA, then Tokyu is more convenient. If arriving into international terminal, then Royal Park. Then the next day, take the Limo Bus from HND to NRT, leaving HND by ~2pm. It's worth paying a little more for the convenience.

When you say ski gears, do you mean actual skis? If so, I can't really imagine doing anything that involves taking trains when you have skis, suitcases and a baby. Even if the hotel is a few minutes' walk from a train station, it'll be such a hassle to be carrying all that around. But if you mean you have a bunch of ski wears shoved into suitcases, then another option if HND hotels are too expensive is to stay in Shinagawa. You can take the Keikyu train which is quick and direct from HND to Shinagawa. Then the next day you can take NRT Express train from Shinagawa straight to NRT. Strings is an IHG hotel right next to Shinagawa Sta, although I can't imagine them being cheaper than Tokyu Excel at HND.

Hilton Disney is nowhere near HND. The Hilton that's closest to HND is the one in Odaiba, but the taxi will still probably cost >5000yen. From Odaiba Hilton, there should be Limo Bus to NRT.

As for the baby, don't even include it him/her in the booking. Just get a room for 2adults, 1 child. And then later on, write to the hotel requesting a baby cot.

Last edited by evergrn; Oct 29, 2017 at 3:32 pm Reason: sorry - didn't mean to refer to baby as it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.