Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
So I took a risk and now regret it. The AC5 flight today is almost an hour late arriving at 5:08pm gate NRT T1 and my next flight on JL departs T2 (likely from satelitte terminal) 6pm. The bus schedule T1 -> T2 is 5:12pm and takes 15 minutes, if I miss it then next bus is 5:42pm which means I'll miss the flight. If by the time I deplane it's already past 5:12pm, should I still wait for the next airside bus or try to make it landside and take the shuttle bus or train or taxi?

I already have BP printed and know where to run, what should I do in the mean time? AC and JL do not know I'm on separate tickets at the moment.

If I miss the flight and JL won't help to put me on a different flight (CI to TPE for example), can I exit T2 airside and go to T3 and buy a new ticket on LCC? Or T1 for that matter if I can find tickets.
If it is today, AC5 now seems to have a 16:42 arrival, so it may still be possible to get the 5:12pm bus. JAL will start the boarding 25 minutes before departure, and will typically close the doors about 5 minutes before departure. So still possible, and potentially AC5 will gain a bit on the early arrival projection. Hope for no holding pattern for Narita.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:31 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If it is today, AC5 now seems to have a 16:42 arrival, so it may still be possible to get the 5:12pm bus. JAL will start the boarding 25 minutes before departure, and will typically close the doors about 5 minutes before departure. So still possible, and potentially AC5 will gain a bit on the early arrival projection. Hope for no holding pattern for Narita.
I'm hoping they make up time during flight but not hopeful, won't really know until we park. Flight aware shows 4:58pm landing and 5:08pm gate arrival, then I need to wait 20 people to deplane before me. At this pace I think I will miss the 5:12pm bus, if I wait another 30 min for the 5:42pm bus I probably won't reach T2 before 6pm and the JL flight will close by then.

I think I can make it landside by 5:20 or 5:25pm, what's the quickest method to get from T1 to T2? Shuttle bus is every 7-20 min but takes 10 min travel, the train (commuter, I don't think I can use the reserved seats train) is only 3 min, and I don't know how much taxi will cost or how long that takes to travel.

Last edited by jix; Jan 9, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
I'm hoping they make up time during flight but not hopeful, won't really know until we park. Flight aware shows 4:58pm landing and 5:08pm gate arrival, then I need to wait 20 people to deplane before me. At this pace I think I will miss the 5:12pm bus, if I wait another 30 min for the 5:42pm bus I probably won't reach T2 before 6pm and the JL flight will close by then.

I think I can make it landside by 5:20 or 5:25pm, what's the quickest method to get from T1 to T2? Shuttle bus is every 7-20 min but takes 10 min travel, the train (commuter, I don't think I can use the reserved seats train) is only 3 min, and I don't know how much taxi will cost or how long that takes to travel.
The planned arrival gate is 42, with the walk to immigration from there going through immigration and customs, for me with automated passport control, and thus zero siting time I'd say that's at least 20 minutes.

You can take any train between the terminals, what ever comes first, though train operations are not that super frequent so you'd easily get a bit of wait. Plus going down to the station, buying a ticket and getting up again. Do you have cash? These tickets are only available with cash yen. I doubt the trains are that quick

A taxi will be quickest if you go land side. In Tokyo taxis generally take credit cards, though I have no idea about the local taxis in Chiba. I also have no experience with how readily available taxis are at Narita. But I would guess for all local use, as any other airport.

JL811 is planned from gate 70, which s pretty close to the entry point of the terminal.. So once you arrive at the terminal, I say no more than 5-10 minutes to get to the gate.

With a bit of luck you can make it. There is a Peach flight 50 minutes later, but with a 60 minute check in cut off your options are not looking that much brighter, but a bit.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:07 am
jix

The planned arrival gate is 42, with the walk to immigration from there going through immigration and customs, for me with automated passport control, and thus zero siting time I'd say that's at least 20 minutes.

You can take any train between the terminals, what ever comes first, though train operations are not that super frequent so you'd easily get a bit of wait. Plus going down to the station, buying a ticket and getting up again. Do you have cash? These tickets are only available with cash yen. I doubt the trains are that quick

A taxi will be quickest if you go land side. In Tokyo taxis generally take credit cards, though I have no idea about the local taxis in Chiba. I also have no experience with how readily available taxis are at Narita. But I would guess for all local use, as any other airport.

JL811 is planned from gate 70, which s pretty close to the entry point of the terminal.. So once you arrive at the terminal, I say no more than 5-10 minutes to get to the gate.

With a bit of luck you can make it. There is a Peach flight 50 minutes later, but with a 60 minute check in cut off your options are not looking that much brighter, but a bit.
Thanks

Looking like it'll get to the gate by 5pm and hopefully I can deplane by 5:10pm latest, I found there's a 5:20pm bus from gate 59 and I'll run to that instead of the bus at 5:12pm at gate 28, since there's an underground walkway between gate 42 and 59, that's my last resort pretty much.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jix
...I need to wait 20 people to deplane before me.
All the time I hear FAs make announcements asking passengers to let someone with a tight connection leave first. Have you thought of asking the purser for help?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC5 seems to have landed at 16:56, but fortunately on the optimal runway for reaching T1.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:29 am
jix

Originally Posted by 747FC
All the time I hear FAs make announcements asking passengers to let someone with a tight connection leave first. Have you thought of asking the purser for help?
I sat pretty much in the front so didn't really need it, it was a matter of just exiting the plane.

I made the JL flight with time to spare, deplaned at 5:05 and ran to gate 59 area by 5:12pm, then the bus showed up at 5:20pm and the ride only took 5 minutes. The 15 minute on the website really worried me. I think even if I missed the 5:20pm bus and instead take the 5:50pm I can still make the JL flight since it was in the same bus gate area in T2.

Thanks all
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
I sat pretty much in the front so didn't really need it, it was a matter of just exiting the plane.

I made the JL flight with time to spare, deplaned at 5:05 and ran to gate 59 area by 5:12pm, then the bus showed up at 5:20pm and the ride only took 5 minutes. The 15 minute on the website really worried me. I think even if I missed the 5:20pm bus and instead take the 5:50pm I can still make the JL flight since it was in the same bus gate area in T2.

Thanks all
Did it stil Dock at gate 42? Off the plane, transit security, and from 42 to 59 in 7 minutes would be quite a feat.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The airport(s) at which you are transiting: Narita
The airline on which you are arriving: ANA
The airline on which you are departing: ANA
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): International - Domestic
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Separate tickets

Flying ORD - NRT on an NH F award (NH 11). Scheduled to arrive at 2:25pm and looks like it typically is on time though a couple of late arrivals in the past few days per FlightAware.

I need to purchase a separate NRT - ITM ticket for us on the same day. This will be for mid-March.

I have the option of either 440pm or 605pm. Given my own experience with NRT when arriving as an O&D passenger, I assume that 440pm should be okay but I've never done an International to Domestic connection at NRT so want to confirm.

Will likely be in Premium Class for NRT - ITM if that makes a difference, since the cost difference between Y and Premium on the date in question is only 7k JPY/person.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
The airport(s) at which you are transiting: Narita
The airline on which you are arriving: ANA
The airline on which you are departing: ANA
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): International - Domestic
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Separate tickets

Flying ORD - NRT on an NH F award (NH 11). Scheduled to arrive at 2:25pm and looks like it typically is on time though a couple of late arrivals in the past few days per FlightAware.

I need to purchase a separate NRT - ITM ticket for us on the same day. This will be for mid-March.

I have the option of either 440pm or 605pm. Given my own experience with NRT when arriving as an O&D passenger, I assume that 440pm should be okay but I've never done an International to Domestic connection at NRT so want to confirm.

Will likely be in Premium Class for NRT - ITM if that makes a difference, since the cost difference between Y and Premium on the date in question is only 7k JPY/person.
There is a Fast Track for F passengers, so immigration is pretty quick. Only for bona-fide F passengers, make sure to get the invitation from the cabin crew, boarding pass is not enough.

Luggage delivery is usually quite OK for ANA, and F tagged bags will come first. Though Diamond members get F tags as well, so there may be a bit more D luggage than the passenger load indicates.

Domestic check in is to the far right side of the arrivals area when you exit after customs. Max. 5 minutes walk to the counters. Check in deadline for luggage will be 30 minutes before departure. Security is quick and easy. The arrivals lounge is also the departure lounge for domestic.

All in all 16:40 should be fine, with of course the risk of a lost ticket on a delay taken in to consideration.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:39 pm
jix

Did it stil Dock at gate 42? Off the plane, transit security, and from 42 to 59 in 7 minutes would be quite a feat.
Yes, it's doable in 5 I think if you run. There is a underground passage way connecting the two area and usually empty so no need to dodge people.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
Yes, it's doable in 5 I think if you run. There is a underground passage way connecting the two area and usually empty so no need to dodge people.
I now about the underground passage, have taken it a few times. Still a fair distance.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:25 pm

Transiting HND
Arriving on JAL (code share award booked with AA, PHX-SFO-HND-CTS
The airline on which you are departing: JAL
Single Ticket

I have award booked to CTS connecting in HND Lands HND 16:45 departiing 14:30 the next day

Bringing Large suitcase and skis and there are 3 of us.

It seems I am not able to check bags thru to CTS?

Trying to figure out best solution as we don't want/need suitcases or skis for night in Tokyo and sounds like can't check them in for next flight if it leaves next day??

Appreciate your help!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vstickets
Transiting HND
Arriving on JAL (code share award booked with AA, PHX-SFO-HND-CTS
The airline on which you are departing: JAL
Single Ticket

I have award booked to CTS connecting in HND Lands HND 16:45 departiing 14:30 the next day

Bringing Large suitcase and skis and there are 3 of us.

It seems I am not able to check bags thru to CTS?

Trying to figure out best solution as we don't want/need suitcases or skis for night in Tokyo and sounds like can't check them in for next flight if it leaves next day??

Appreciate your help!
As you are entering Japan at Haneda, you will have to reclaim all luggage and take it through customs, and indeed you will have to wait until the day of departure before you can recheck the luggage.

This is what Haneda's homepage has on luggage storage.
Luggage Delivery, Luggage Storage and Luggage Carts | Haneda Airport International Terminal
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:17 pm

They also have luggage storing service on flr B1 of T1.

https://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp...checkroom.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.