Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
40-50min from parked at gate till my non-priority bags came out.
This has happened to me at HND too. Off topic, but I remember thinking that it wiped out the advantage of Haneda's shorter journey time into Tokyo. Back on topic - I would recommend that the OP travel hand luggage only if possible. With hand luggage only, you can show up at the terminal for a domestic flight as little as 30 minutes before departure and be confident of making it. (I believe the limit used to be 15 minutes, but not sure if that applies any more).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Assuming you're flying Y with checked bags and no status, you should be fine as long as your flight arrives at gate no more than ~40min late. If I were traveling alone, I would take that chance, because most likely you'll be fine and plus they might be willing to move you to a later flight without penalty (but no guarantees). If it were me and my entire family, I would take a later flight because the potential penalty would be very costly.

If you're flying Y with no status, then it can take a long time for ANA bags to come out at HND. The last two times it took 40-50min from parked at gate till my non-priority bags came out. No line at immigration, but just waited and waited at the carrousel. Priority-tagged bags come out much earlier.

The cutoff at bag drop off at Int'l arrival concourse is 45min (ie, 16:15 for you). As long as you make that cutoff, you'll make the flight.

Thank you!!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, chase ultimate rewards, hawaiian
Help on Connecting Air Tahiti Nui - Cathay at NRT on Separate Tickets

Hello Guys,

i am flying on Air Tahiti Nui # 78 from PPT-NRT which lands at Narita around 7:15 Am and i have booked a separate ticket on Cathay 509 from NRT-HKG which takes off at 9:00 AM.

Can anyone help me with what i should do on landing as i wont have my boarding pass. Do they have a transfer desk? Will it be possible for me to make the connection?
Transiting through the Narita Airport for the first time so don't want to take any chances.

thanks!!

Last edited by rukmi86; Jan 21, 2019 at 9:59 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, 1 hr. and 45 min. should be enough for connection.

Both Air Tahiti Nui and Cathay Pacific uses Terminal 2 at NRT.

Upon arrival walk along with arriving passenger. Before reaching the passport control you will see a sign of Connection/Transfer. There is an airline desk there and you can get a boarding pass for your Cathay Pacific flight if there is Cathay Pacific agent is there.

Even if there is no agents from Cathay Pacific at a transfer desk, all you need is a conformation copy of your Cathay Pacific flight and you will let through the security for transit passenger. You will come out to departure gate area, look up the gate for your Cathay Pacific flight, then you can get a boarding pass at the departure gate for your Cathay Pacific.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: AA, chase ultimate rewards, hawaiian
@AlwaysAisle Thanks!!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:30 am

My single booking route is:
NH115 arriving at HND 6:30pm, connecting to NH867 to GMP departing at 8:00pm.

I'm assuming my checked luggage will go through? I've never done an int-int connection before. HND's website says security screening then transfer counter. Otherwise the 1.5hr layover seems super tight.

On return, I'm doing:
NH862 departing GMP at 7:45am, arriving at HND 9:45am, connecting to NH116 departing HND at 9:45pm.

Would I need to pick up my checked luggage and store it (not wasting a 12 hour layover in Tokyo!)?

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by corialis
My single booking route is:
NH115 arriving at HND 6:30pm, connecting to NH867 to GMP departing at 8:00pm.

I'm assuming my checked luggage will go through? I've never done an int-int connection before. HND's website says security screening then transfer counter. Otherwise the 1.5hr layover seems super tight.

On return, I'm doing:
NH862 departing GMP at 7:45am, arriving at HND 9:45am, connecting to NH116 departing HND at 9:45pm.

Would I need to pick up my checked luggage and store it (not wasting a 12 hour layover in Tokyo!)?

Thanks everyone!
1.5 hour connection is more than plenty in Haneda. Transit security is quick, and your luggage will be transferred to the next flight, no need to pick it up. If you connection gets tight due to a delay, ANA will know and send people to the gate to assist with the connection.

No need to pick up your luggage for a same day connection on the return. You will only see your checked luggage again in Vancouver
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:42 am

Thanks CPH! Looking forward to spending my spare yen coins on the massage chairs in international departures again.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Guidance sought TYO-OKA and VV

Could use some guidance on getting around

Wife and Daughter are flying DTW-NRT on DL (in DL-1)
Schedule to arrive 14:05 on 7/11
I'm following them down, same route with a 7/17 arrival

I see Jetstar and ANA both offer flights from NRT-OKA on those days
Jetstar has two flights- one at 15:15 and another at 19:00
I feel pretty certain that the 15:15 is NOT do-able, correct?
which leaves ANA departing at 17:55. Any one see any issues making that flight

Our return is on the 23rd departing NRT at 16:30, also on DL (in DL-1)
one again, Jetstar and ANA both offer flights on that date
1). Jetstar at 07:30 arriving 10:05 and
2). Jetstar at 11:55 arriving 14:30
or
3). ANA at 11:40 arriving 14:25
Are 2 and 3 cutting it to close????
Really hate to kill 5+ hours doing number 1

Could do OKA-HND both Jetstar and ANA depart at around 09:45 with arrival around 12:15 plus 1.5 hours for bus, get us to NRT around 13:45
(seems a bit over kill just to pick up possibly 30 minutes)
Never flown either Jetstar or ANA, so not sure how on-time things run with them
have flown other LCC in Asia (Tiger, and couple others-with no issues)

Thoughts, insights, guidance welcome

Thanks

Last edited by windwalker; Feb 10, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:46 pm
tt7

Jetstar / Jetstream / Jetsream? Presumably you just mean Jetstar? I've never flown Jetstar (and hopefully never will) so I'd take ANA ... which is a full-service carrier not a LCC. The Delta flight arrives at terminal 1 north, the ANA flight departs from terminal 1 south, so no terminal change. Jetstar uses terminal 3. Does that help the decision? On the return, unless you take the early Jetstar flight, then I'd take the ANA flight as there's no reason (other than, possibly, cost) to take the Jetstar flight that arrives 5 minutes later in a different terminal.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
For both ways, I'd take the ANA option--especially for the inbound flight.

For the outbound, I'd be comfortable with options 2 and 3, although obviously you wouldn't be protected for any misconnects. If price isn't a concerned, I'd do the OKA-NRT ANA flight. It should be less of a trek to Terminal 1 North Wing (where DL departs) than the Jetstar flight.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by tt7
Jetstar / Jetstream / Jetsream? Presumably you just mean Jetstar? I've never flown Jetstar (and hopefully never will) so I'd take ANA ... which is a full-service carrier not a LCC. The Delta flight arrives at terminal 1 north, the ANA flight departs from terminal 1 south, so no terminal change. Jetstar uses terminal 3. Does that help the decision? On the return, unless you take the early Jetstar flight, then I'd take the ANA flight as there's no reason (other than, possibly, cost) to take the Jetstar flight that arrives 5 minutes later in a different terminal.
Sorry, tt7 poor spelling on my part- corrected now-I hope

Originally Posted by JMBResona
For both ways, I'd take the ANA option--especially for the inbound flight.

For the outbound, I'd be comfortable with options 2 and 3, although obviously you wouldn't be protected for any misconnects. If price isn't a concerned, I'd do the OKA-NRT ANA flight. It should be less of a trek to Terminal 1 North Wing (where DL departs) than the Jetstar flight.
Thanks JMB and tt7 some deeper digging showed ANA and DL in the same terminal, so that should help and make things easier

JMB by outbound assume you mean NRT-OKA, with option 2 being the 17:55 ANA and option 3 the 19:00 Jetstar, correct

both- option 3 inbound (OKA-NRT) gives us roughly 2 hours to clear and get to gate, assuming no delays. Does DL(DL-1) have expedited/dedicated security(Check-in and Fast=pass lines) ?

Assume we will have to go landside from the OKA-NRT(ANA) flight and Check-in to the DL NRT-ATL flight
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:37 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by windwalker
Assume we will have to go landside from the OKA-NRT(ANA) flight and Check-in to the DL NRT-ATL flight
Yes (presumably). Off the plane, collect the bags and out in to the arrivals area on level 1. Upstairs to check in on level 4 and down to the far end of the North end of the terminal to check-in desks A/B/C for Delta. See the Narita website - https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/map/
windwalker likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
ORD to Okinawa UA/ANA question

Hi folks,

I will be flying on United from ORD to Narita in April with a transfer to ANA onward to Okinawa, this is all on one ticket.

I have a two hour connection.

Question, will I have to go through Arrivals/customs/immigration then get bag and then go to ANA to check in?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by lianluo
Hi folks,

I will be flying on United from ORD to Narita in April with a transfer to ANA onward to Okinawa, this is all on one ticket.

I have a two hour connection.

Question, will I have to go through Arrivals/customs/immigration then get bag and then go to ANA to check in?
Lianluo
I'm from NC also
small world that two folks from there are looking for transit information NRT-OKA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.