Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
55 minutes Int. – Dom. connection is very tight, I will not feel totally comfortable. Bit surprised that you got ticketed this way when NH recommend 75 minutes or more for Int. – Dom. connection at NRT. I understand that ticket was issued by UA…

I think good point is that you are transferring from NH to NH under one ticket. NH will be aware of your connection, ground agents at NRT will likely be aware of your connection at NRT. There should be NH agent at the jet bridge as you deplane at NRT. Mention to an agent of your tight connection, I am sure NH agents will do their best, often radio in hand communicating with other sections and running to a gate with a passenger.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
You must clear immigration and customs at NRT. Then you can re-check your bags for the domestic flight. With 55 minutes for the connection, I would certainly recommend that you travel without checked luggage. You should also move quickly when you deplane to try to get a good position in the queue for immigration.
Thank you for the response
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
55 minutes Int. – Dom. connection is very tight, I will not feel totally comfortable. Bit surprised that you got ticketed this way when NH recommend 75 minutes or more for Int. – Dom. connection at NRT. I understand that ticket was issued by UA…

I think good point is that you are transferring from NH to NH under one ticket. NH will be aware of your connection, ground agents at NRT will likely be aware of your connection at NRT. There should be NH agent at the jet bridge as you deplane at NRT. Mention to an agent of your tight connection, I am sure NH agents will do their best, often radio in hand communicating with other sections and running to a gate with a passenger.
Thank you for the advice. I will effort to tell an NH agent about my tight connection.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by cheehoo
Thank you for the advice. I will effort to tell an NH agent about my tight connection.
As noted above, my experience with ground agents in Japan is very good. They will try very hard to help you make your connection if warned in time and you might have to run fast to keep up with them.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by nishimark
As noted above, my experience with ground agents in Japan is very good. They will try very hard to help you make your connection if warned in time and you might have to run fast to keep up with them.
Thanks for the warm fuzzy i hope it works out.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:28 am

Hi

On my outbound:
NRT UA to NH. Very long connection over 4.5 hours so I'm not too worried

INT-INT coming from EWR connection to BKK. Do I have to pick up my checked bag? Do I follow the "Connections" signs or more a la AMS and just follow the gate numbers until I hit a immigration checkpoint?

Also according to google, there are shower rooms for 1000yen, but I can never see them on the terminal maps...are they on the way/easily marked?

On the return is also at NRT, this time UA-UA coming from SIN back to EWR with about 2.5 hours. Again same questions, do I need to pick up the bag and which signs should I follow? Any extra security circus for departing to the US?

Thank you!
Ninja edit: All on one 016 ticket
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Arriving at 4:35 pm on UA flight to NRT. It was $600 cheaper to book to NRT rather than KIX. I would like to stay in Osaka at the Hilton for a few days since I have points for a free stay rather than Kyoto where I plan to visit for 2 to 3 days.

ANA has some good prices if flying on a Star Alliance flight, but it looks like the last flight of the day leaves about 5:00 pm.

Would you recommend that I stay close to the airport and fly out in the morning or take the train? Any other options?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by JackieC2
Arriving at 4:35 pm on UA flight to NRT. It was $600 cheaper to book to NRT rather than KIX. I would like to stay in Osaka at the Hilton for a few days
Take the train. (Narita Express to Shinagawa. Then Shinkansen to Shin Osaka. And then local train to Osaka).
You'll get to the Osaka Hilton by 10:30 ~ 11:00pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
enough time and co-terminals for UA and ANA?

I arrive at 16:30 in NRT on UA (Business class) and need to transfer to an ANA flight to Okinawa departing at 17:55. I assume I need to go through immigration - Will this be enough time AND will I need to change terminals?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:17 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by nigos
I arrive at 16:30 in NRT on UA (Business class) and need to transfer to an ANA flight to Okinawa departing at 17:55. I assume I need to go through immigration - Will this be enough time AND will I need to change terminals?
Yes, you'll have time, and no need to change terminals.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: CX SL
Transit: NRT-NRT
Arriving 06:25am CX
Departing 14:10pm JL
Int-Int
Single Ticket

My understanding is that Airside departure is closed overnight. So what time do they re-open in the morning? Would there even be airside transfer security staff at this early hour? Or should I expect to clear immigration and wait landside until they open airside departure?

It seems the first international flight from T2 is at 07:35am, Vanilla Air to TPE. The reason I want to be airside at T2 as soon as possible is to get a nap room from 7am and get some sleep.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sheun
My understanding is that Airside departure is closed overnight. So what time do they re-open in the morning? Would there even be airside transfer security staff at this early hour? Or should I expect to clear immigration and wait landside until they open airside departure?
I don't know for sure, but I expect the transit immigration and security checkpoints open in time for the first arrivals. If those checkpoints were not staffed, then some people would be forced to wait airside (e.g. people who don't have permission to enter Japan). I have never heard of such a thing and I don't think there's any seating for people near the entrance of those checkpoints. All of which suggests to me that they're open from the time of the first arrivals.

I have heard that the airside, inter-terminal buses don't start running until later in the morning, so people who arrive very early and need to make a cross-terminal connection end up waiting in the terminal where they arrived - an annoyance for folks who have lounge access in the other terminal ... However, your connection does not involve a change of terminals so this should not affect you.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I just got a schedule change and need advice. Is 1 hours and 15 minutes enough time? I will only have carry on luggage.

NH 2154 operating by ANA wings, depart CTS 205 pm arrive NRT 345 pm
UA 33 departs NRT 500 pm to LAX
DOM-INT

This is on a single ticket

This will be on a Sunday afternoon in May

Last edited by bloodyeyeballs; Mar 21, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:05 pm

When in transit at NRT (Terminal 1, UA to NH) - do I have access to Terminal 1 food court on 5th floor? Is it outside customs and/or security?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by br2k
When in transit at NRT (Terminal 1, UA to NH) - do I have access to Terminal 1 food court on 5th floor? Is it outside customs and/or security?
5th floor is landside (i.e. on the other side of immigration and customs).

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/map/index_t1.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.