Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:55 pm

Transit desk for boarding passes prior to transit security

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT
The airline on which you are arriving: Thai AirAsia from DMK
The airline on which you are departing: JAL to ORD
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 3hr 10min (8am - 11:10am)
How you are connecting: INT-INT
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Separately-booked tickets.

My mother and aunt are arriving on Air Asia connecting to JAL with no checked bags.

It looks like both airlines are in the same terminal and that they only have to go through security to connect so the 3+ hours should be plenty of time.

They will not have boarding passes for their JAL flight when arriving at NRT. According to this:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...book/01-02.pdf they need their "ticket" to pass through security and can get their boarding passes at the JAL connecting desk.

My question is what is acceptable for their "ticket"? Just a print out of their itinerary?

Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jchock1
The airline on which you are arriving: Thai AirAsia from DMK
The airline on which you are departing: JAL to ORD
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 3hr 10min (8am - 11:10am)
How you are connecting: INT-INT
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Separately-booked tickets.

My mother and aunt are arriving on Air Asia connecting to JAL with no checked bags.

It looks like both airlines are in the same terminal and that they only have to go through security to connect so the 3+ hours should be plenty of time.

They will not have boarding passes for their JAL flight when arriving at NRT. According to this:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...book/01-02.pdf they need their "ticket" to pass through security and can get their boarding passes at the JAL connecting desk.

My question is what is acceptable for their "ticket"? Just a print out of their itinerary?

Thanks!
A print of the actual e-ticket. Not just the itinerary.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'm guessing this is the right forum for this - trying not to post this as it's own thread - but desperate for a quick answer. I'm trying to find out where I will clear immigration with my flights.

It's all one ticket, issued on BA.

BA 4616 (operated by JAL) NGO NRT 08:20 09:30
BA 6 NRT LHR 11:10 14:55

Will I clear immigration in Nagoya or Narita?

Reason for asking is the earliest train from Nagoya to the airport is at 06:02, arriving into Nagoya Airport at 06:32. If it was treated as a 'domestic' flight with no immigration in Nagoya I think I would have enough time. But if I have to clear immigration / customs in Nagoya, that's definitely not enough time right?

Thoughts? Ideas? Queries? Help!

In Thailand DOM:INT you would normally clear immigration at the Domestic Airport (i.e. at Chiang Mai in a CNX-BKK-LHR connection) but in the UK it would be at the departing airport (MAN-LHR-BKK would be at Heathrow)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I'm guessing this is the right forum for this - trying not to post this as it's own thread - but desperate for a quick answer. I'm trying to find out where I will clear immigration with my flights.

It's all one ticket, issued on BA.

BA 4616 (operated by JAL) NGO NRT 08:20 09:30
BA 6 NRT LHR 11:10 14:55

Will I clear immigration in Nagoya or Narita?

Reason for asking is the earliest train from Nagoya to the airport is at 06:02, arriving into Nagoya Airport at 06:32. If it was treated as a 'domestic' flight with no immigration in Nagoya I think I would have enough time. But if I have to clear immigration / customs in Nagoya, that's definitely not enough time right?

Thoughts? Ideas? Queries? Help!

In Thailand DOM:INT you would normally clear immigration at the Domestic Airport (i.e. at Chiang Mai in a CNX-BKK-LHR connection) but in the UK it would be at the departing airport (MAN-LHR-BKK would be at Heathrow)
You will clear Immigration in NRT. There used to be special counters to check in for international connections, but with the special security measures around Narita removed, I don't know if that is still in place.
6:32 is more than plenty of time in advance.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You will clear Immigration in NRT. There used to be special counters to check in for international connections, but with the special security measures around Narita removed, I don't know if that is still in place.
6:32 is more than plenty of time in advance.
Thanks. Does Narita have immigration in transit - I presume I wouldn't have to go out through a Domestic Terminal then back in Internationally?

Being a Londoner, I have to ask this question, despite being able to second guess the answer - would that train be reliable?! Arriving at 6:32, I may not make check-in until 07:00 (presuming BA issues with online check-in for codeshare flights) - 80 minutes would be fine for this process?

Appreciate your help ^ I'm a very experienced flyer in Asia, but things vary so much by countries it's worth checking. Worse case scenario is I could get a cab from the hotel to the airport - but i'm staying at a hotel connected to the train station, so getting a train to the airport makes a lot of sense!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Thanks. Does Narita have immigration in transit - I presume I wouldn't have to go out through a Domestic Terminal then back in Internationally?

Being a Londoner, I have to ask this question, despite being able to second guess the answer - would that train be reliable?! Arriving at 6:32, I may not make check-in until 07:00 (presuming BA issues with online check-in for codeshare flights) - 80 minutes would be fine for this process?

Appreciate your help ^ I'm a very experienced flyer in Asia, but things vary so much by countries it's worth checking. Worse case scenario is I could get a cab from the hotel to the airport - but i'm staying at a hotel connected to the train station, so getting a train to the airport makes a lot of sense!
The train will be reliable. And even if you should take a cup of coffee on tye way and only arrive at the check in counter at 7am, that is still more than plenty of time for the process. Also without having done online check in advance. No need for a cab.

In NRT you will have to exit domestic arrivals and go through the normal immigration flow. The terminal building is the same, but there is no short cut.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:11 pm

We are heading to CTS on a ski trip in February.
We're arriving in NRT on DL623 at 4:45PM.

What's the best way to get to CTS? It looks like the last flight out of NRT is at 6PM, I know this isn't enough time to clear customs.
Should we look at flights out of HND? What's the best way to get from NRT to HND, we will be travelling with our ski gear? How long should we allow?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headfirst
We are heading to CTS on a ski trip in February.
We're arriving in NRT on DL623 at 4:45PM.

What's the best way to get to CTS? It looks like the last flight out of NRT is at 6PM, I know this isn't enough time to clear customs.
Should we look at flights out of HND? What's the best way to get from NRT to HND, we will be travelling with our ski gear? How long should we allow?
With a fair amount of luggage, the easiest way is to take the limousine bus (just a bus service with a fancy name). You can take your luggage carts directly to the bus, and get a cart again at the bus stop in Haneda. The scheduled time for the trip is 1.5 hours.
Haneda offers a lot more frequent flights than Narita, though you will probably get close to the last few flights in the same day.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:09 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I have a 4:50 connection, NH-UA, at NRT, flying TPE-SFO in J.

I'd like to meet a friend at NRT airport, somehow, but I'm in intl transit. How can we make it work? Will I need to go through immigration at NRT? Should I meet my friend airside or landside? Can I do it without going through immigration for Japan?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by helvetic
'd like to meet a friend at NRT airport, somehow, but I'm in intl transit. How can we make it work?
Unless your friend has a ticket for an international flight, you will have to meet landside. That will require you to go through immigration and customs. It's feasible with a 4+ hour layover.

Are you arriving and departing the same terminal? [EDIT: Yes. I see now. UA to NH both use T1].

Last edited by jib71; Jan 24, 2016 at 11:39 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NH to UA is the same terminal. Normally immigration is pretty quick, though at peak times it can take a while. Doing the math with 4:50 connection time it should likely not be too bad.

Please note that if your friend lives in central Tokyo or south of the city, it is quite a trek out to Narita. About 1 hour from Tokyo Station.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:59 am

The airline on which you are arriving: NH from NGO
The airline on which you are departing: UA to SIN
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 2 hours 10 min (8am - 11:10am)
How you are connecting: DOM-INT

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light or thoughts on my plan below.

I have a booked UA NRT-SIN (return leg) in April. Taking advantage of NH's experience japan fare, I have an option to travel NGO-NRT at 1430 arriving NRT at 1545 (the other option is at 0745). My UA flight is at 1755.
Given this, is it workable?

1) Will I be able to check all the way at NGO to SIN despite traveling on different airlines and booked tickets separately.
2) If (1) is not possible, does it mean that I have to clear immigration@NRT>collect my luggage>recheck in at UA counter?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darkages
The airline on which you are arriving: NH from NGO
The airline on which you are departing: UA to SIN
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 2 hours 10 min (8am - 11:10am)
How you are connecting: DOM-INT

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light or thoughts on my plan below.

I have a booked UA NRT-SIN (return leg) in April. Taking advantage of NH's experience japan fare, I have an option to travel NGO-NRT at 1430 arriving NRT at 1545 (the other option is at 0745). My UA flight is at 1755.
Given this, is it workable?

1) Will I be able to check all the way at NGO to SIN despite traveling on different airlines and booked tickets separately.
2) If (1) is not possible, does it mean that I have to clear immigration@NRT>collect my luggage>recheck in at UA counter?
I am not 100% sure if NH will be able to print the UA boarding pass, but they should be able to check your luggage through. There is no immigration between NGO and NRT, but you will have to exit the domestic section and clear security and immigration (for leaving Japan). If you can't get your boarding pass from NH get it on your mobile phone. Or the UA counter. 2h 10m is plenty of time. Even if you have to collect your luggage and recheck it.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent
transiting NRT domestic Terminal 1 to international Terminal 2
arriving on NH Y from ITM
departing on JL F to JFK
100 min between scheduled arrival and departure (down from original 125 min due to JL sched change)
domestic to international (Dom-Int)
separately booked tickets

Official info: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/onto/
That link talks about MCT for JL domestic to another airline's intl flight as 110 min. My itinerary is actually NH domestic to JL international. However, JAL's US phone line said the 110 min applied in my case as well. The link specifically mentions NH as one of the airlines that can be connected on and bags checked through to final destination.

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/lo...rocedures.html
That link indicates that connection from NH domestic to JL domestic is possible with MCT of 50 min at NRT. Towards the bottom, it says that NH domestic to other airline international depends on the airport, airline and terminal, and to send an email enquiry through a link for specifics.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...n/checkin.html
However, this link doesn't list JL as a partner for through check in, and NH's US phone line indicated NH had no agreement with JL and that separate tickets were also an issue, although they seemed unclear on whether they were talking about being checked through or baggage interlined.

Anyone have any experience on whether NH at ITM would be willing to tag the bags through to JFK and interline bags to JL at NRT? And whether NH has the ability to check me through to JFK in addition to interlining the bags?

If neither interlining nor full check through is possible, what do you think of my chances of getting off the NH flight at T1, picking my bag off the carousel, catching the inter-terminal bus, getting to T2 JL F check in, all within 55 min after scheduled NH arrival (JL offers 45 min check in cutoff for F pax at NRT)?

My alternative is heading to NRT a day early and overnighting at the Radisson, but I think I would prefer to spend that day in Kansai instead. Yeah, I've heard Narita city is cute, but is it better than having some solid food and entertainment in Osaka, or perhaps hitting up Nara, with the extra day?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
JL and NH do have interline agreement. The bottom line is that NH at ITM will check your luggage all the way to JFK, if and only if 100 minutes satisfy minimum domestic to international T1 to T2 connection at NRT.

Also, I do not know about NH’s policy regarding through checking baggage on two separate tickets. Many airlines in the U.S. stopped through checking baggage on two separate tickets, unless connecting airlines is in same alliance. I just do not know about NH’s policy. Regardless, minimum connection time have to be met.

If 100 minutes satisfy minimum domestic to international T1 to T2 connection at NRT, I do not know.

One more thing is that if this is in two separate tickets then NH at ITM can insist that domestic economy check baggage allowance will apply when departing from ITM, not international F baggage allowance to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.