Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

5+ Days in Kansai with a first timer. Just stay local? Buy rail pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First

I've been to the Kansai area several times and have been to Hiroshima and Miyajima in a couple of times a long time ago. My wife and daughter have been to Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Himeji but never to Hiroshima and Miyajima.

I also have a friend who just decided to join us who has never been to Japan.

I am debating between just staying around Osaka/Kyoto/Nara or buying a 4 day JR West-Sanyo pass and going to Hiroshima/Miyajima or anywhere else where we can get good value for the pass.

We get in late Wednesday night and are staying at the RC Osaka for 2 nights and catching the Hanshin Tigers baseball game Thursday night. Friday we are going to Kyoto as of now but could change if we buy rail passes.

One problem for Friday is that I booked a room at the RC Kyoto on a decent rate but now that my friend decided to join us today, the room is about 98,000 per night. Are there any other options close by so he won't get lost?

If we stay local, we will want 2 rooms in Kyoto for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights 4/11-14 but I'm having trouble finding rooms on Saturday. If we go down to Hiroshima, we will stay in Hiroshima Saturday and Sunday.

Any thoughts on which option?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:09 am

If your family had never been to Japan before, I would say to stick around Kansai - there's plenty to do there for 5 days. But since your wife and daughter have already been there, I'd say head out to Hiroshima and Miyajima. Your family will have a more fun experience, and your friend might have a bit of a whirlwind but he'll enjoy it.

As for hotel prices, the closest is the Hotel Okura but that's not much less right now. If he'd like to try a Japanese-style room, Hotel Honnoji is right next to the Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae station (near the RC Kyoto) so it might be a good choice - hard to get lost from there.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LAChargers
Are there any other options close by so he won't get lost
I'd suggest the Hilton as the first choice. A nice hotel, nearby, and actually closer to the station, so you might find yourself passing it. Failing that, you've got the Monterrey nearby. Going a little further away, the Dojima is nice. And if proximity is the only thing that matters, then you have some cheaper hotels - such as Hearton - very nearby.

Originally Posted by LAChargers
If we stay local, we will want 2 rooms in Kyoto for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
Everyone wants rooms in Kyoto on Fridays and Saturdays. I don't think the availability of hotels is the best reason to choose a place, but it might be a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.