NRT T1 (Intl) to T2 (Domestic, JetStar) 75min connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

I will be arriving at NRT-T1 (on KE from HNL) and then connecting to JetStar Japan (to KIX) at NRT-T2. Of course, it's two separate tickets.

The KE flight scheduled arrival is 15:40, and the GK flight scheduled departure is 16:55. That gives me 75 min for the connection. (Historically the KE flight is always in early - often an hour+ early, even - so I am not too worried about it arriving late.)

I am thinking that it should be doable, as I have no checked bags, and normally NRT immigration is pretty fast (though I usually fly into or transfer at KIX, NGO or FUK - I try to avoid NRT if I can, so haven't been at or through NRT for a few years now). I am thinking: 10 min to immig, 15 min immig, 15 min to & wait for bus (run every 7 min), 10 min on bus. That gets me to T2 at 16:30, with still enough of time for security (unless it is super slow and inefficient there for the domestic flights at T2?) and to get to the gate.

With OLCI for GK I will have my boarding pass already in hand. I am thinking that I'll likely get to T2 at just some 16:25 - probably just around T-30 when the counter closes. Even though I have no checked bags, as GK forces to check one of your two carry on bags, I just may be in a situation where I make it to the gate just as the flight is boarding with two carry on bags (one 15kg, other 8kg). In that case, will GK take a bag (checked bag fee paid) at the gate and check it, or will it just let me carry on my two carry on bags (knowing that all it really cares about is the money from it, and as it already has that, there is no need for them to check a standard carry on bag that is already paid for anyway...though the GAs probably won't think that far)?

I'm just asking for any experience with GK and what they do if you arrive at the gate with carry-on bags at some ~20kg or so total, yet you have paid for a checked bag (but didn't have time to check it at the counter)?

And any other things I haven't considered about this 75 min Int'l T1 to Domestic T2 connection?

(Before anyone asks me why not go from T1 to ITM instead, that is because ITM is too far out from Osaka and is inconveniently connected by transit. From ITM it takes a min. of two connections to go where I am going - monorail, train, subway, while from KIX I just take the Nankai Airport Exp. or Rapit and am where I need to be in some 35-45 minutes direct and almost at the doorstep. I figure the hassle of NRT T1 to T2 is less than the hassle of the two transfers en route from ITM to Osaka. But, if I am wrong, I can still plan for that instead..)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:07 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The MCT for any airline to GK at NRT is 120 minutes. With separate tickets and a 75 minute connection, you are cutting it extremely close even if your flight arrives early. Moreover, GK will likely prevent you from boarding with multiple bags. They do not do gate checking, AFAIK. Given they are extremely paranoid about on time performance I doubt they will make an exception for you.

Also, there are numerous buses departing from ITM that will likely get you to your destination just as easily as from KIX. I would reconsider your itinerary if at all possible.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are infrequent airside transit buses between terminals at NRT that seem to be organized by airlines/alliances. I've always had to show a boarding pass and they were concerned that I take the right bus for my carrier. I suspect that JetStar doesn't participate in this and that OP must go through immigration and transfer to T2 land side, plus OP is taking a domestic flight (which I've never done at NRT).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As airport questions belong in destinations fora, this has beenoved to the approximate destination forum.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are infrequent airside transit buses between terminals at NRT that seem to be organized by airlines/alliances. I've always had to show a boarding pass and they were concerned that I take the right bus for my carrier. I suspect that JetStar doesn't participate in this and that OP must go through immigration and transfer to T2 land side, plus OP is taking a domestic flight (which I've never done at NRT).
Airside transit gets you to the international gates. The area for domestic flights is separate. So that's a non-starter.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by armagebedar
The MCT for any airline to GK at NRT is 120 minutes. With separate tickets and a 75 minute connection, you are cutting it extremely close even if your flight arrives early. Moreover, GK will likely prevent you from boarding with multiple bags. They do not do gate checking, AFAIK. Given they are extremely paranoid about on time performance I doubt they will make an exception for you.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know, how paranoid they are about that (I know that low-cost airlines in EU are extremely so, to the point of being outright ridiculous), and if they do gate check. If they don't do gate check (but then what do they do with pax who managed to "sneak" in more or heavier carry-on bags? I thought that they charge them some double or quadruple amount for it and gate check), then the risk is higher.
Even though it looks like KE 2 (HNL-NRT) usually gets in around 14:30-14:55 (giving some 145-120 minutes), a good hour early ahead of schedule, still if it doesn't (esp. w/ 20min later sched. departure, still same sched. arrival, when I am going) then it may be tight w.r.t. the mandatory carry-on bag check on GK.

May be I'll look at the options to ITO instead, and look at the bus to Namba or Umeda and then train or metro out of there. Adding in the GK carry-on bag checked fee + refundable ticket (which was my plan here, so if I miss the flight, at least I get a refund less then 3000 JPY refund fee - as can cancel it up to end of day of scheduled departure, i.e. even after flight already took off) the GK flight ends up almost as much as the NH one NRT-ITO anyway.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
bus to Namba or Umeda and then train or metro out of there
What's your final destination?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
What's your final destination?
Around Tennoji, so actually the bus from ITM to Tennoji is good and convenient.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Around Tennoji, so actually the bus from ITM to Tennoji is good and convenient.
Or you could take the monorail to Senri-Chuo and change to the Midosuji Line there, which goes straight to Tennoji...
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:28 am

Not sure if this applies to your specific itinenary, but both ANA/JAL sells dicount ticket if you purcahse the ticket early enough (sometimes, one-way from NRT to ITM is around $98). May not be as cheap as Jetstar, but you could potentially not have to change the terminal if you fly on ANA domestic (terminal 1, right?)
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:21 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE

HND-OSA flights can usually be purchased for a fairly constant price until one day before departure due to competition with the Shinkansen. IIRC NRT-OSA has somewhat different pricing.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by armagebedar
HND-OSA flights can usually be purchased for a fairly constant price until one day before departure due to competition with the Shinkansen. IIRC NRT-OSA has somewhat different pricing.
The only ~$100 one-way fare on ANA is the "Tokuwari" fare for the first flight in the morning from HND. The lowest NRT-ITM fare (excluding the Star Alliance Japan pass, shareholder discounts, etc) is the walk-up "shuttle fare" which is more like $160 each way with round-trip purchase (basically the same price as HND-ITM).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Both the ANA and JAL fares NRT-ITM were over $200.
As ANA had no award availability, in the end I ended up getting the JAL flight at 16:55 for 4500 Avios (vs. $200+ cash fare). Still will need to go T1 to T2, but without the worry of the GK checked bag and bag weight policy, I think it should be less stressful with less things that can go wrong.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:04 am

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

Hi, Forks. If my itinerary permits me (i.e. not during block-out period), I often buy this "Visit Japan" air pass from travel agent before arriving Japan.

I either use "IACE travel USA" (plez, google search them) to buy this air pass or other local travel company.

You can buy this air pass anytime (even one-day before your departure if seats are available, but you need to provide the travel agent your confirmed Intl-flight ticket No.)

If you are on *A or OW itinerary (Rtrip), you can buy one-way domestice ticket for any single-route from any airport in Japan (this includes domestic flights departing from NRT) for about $100+tax. If you are on the Non-*A or OW flight, then the price goes up to around $130+tax, one-way. Still cheaper than $160 rate.
Just throwing here for anyone's use.

I've done NRT-Okinawa and NRT-ITM, $110, one-way using this "Air Pass". Normally, NRT-Okinawa is like $250+ one-way.
Sometimes these Air Pass seats may sell out if it is a popular route (but I doubted it unless blackout period), so you need to check with your local travel agent whether your desired flight on the desired day is available before buying one.

Last edited by msiamsia; Feb 26, 2014 at 7:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.