Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Buying Japan Baseball tickets

Buying Japan Baseball tickets

Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Are there any daytime/afternoon ballgames happening at a fun open-roof stadium in central Tokyo this month or first week of April? Could be minor leagues too...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by runningonfumes
IMO I was meh at zoom zoom and I hate the [redacted] sox so going to a game at a stadium that looked like [redacted] was not the draw but the game.
Rudy Guiliani, is that you?

Last edited by armagebedar; Mar 15, 2018 at 8:33 am Reason: Edited quoted comment per FT rule 16
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by OliverB
Are there any daytime/afternoon ballgames happening at a fun open-roof stadium in central Tokyo this month or first week of April? Could be minor leagues too...
Yakult Swallows play at Jingu stadium on 3/16-18 & 3/20-21 & 4/3-8
Various other amateur games on other dates in March and April.
?????????? | ???????
OliverB likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:19 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Still get a chuckle out of this story
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
I'm sorry but to take the advice here about dome or no dome is like getting advice about collecting points on trip advisor. hmmm. see swallows in potentially chilly weather or see say home opener series between giants and tigers in tokyo dome. or carp at tokyo dome you might be a little late getting tickets though

http://www.giants.jp/en/ticket/
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by runningonfumes
I'm sorry but to take the advice here about dome or no dome is like getting advice about collecting points on trip advisor. hmmm. see swallows in potentially chilly weather or see say home opener series between giants and tigers in tokyo dome. or carp at tokyo dome you might be a little late getting tickets though

TICKET | Yomiuri Giants Official Website
You're touting a particular game, the biggest of rivalries, which will most likely be great, but other than that the domes suck. Have at it Don Quixote.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:59 am
Suspended

yes.

the current dome game on tv between hawks giants sucks. in a dome.

Oliver does his research. he will figure out what works best for him. and I'm sure he will find many opinions.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:32 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
A gentle reminder to all: please avoid attacking or otherwise being needlessly antagonistic towards other FTers. Opinions can be shared in a constructive fashion.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mickidon
With that in mind, which teams should I prioritize for our upcoming trip to Japan in May? We are flexible on location and want to plan around one or two games....a few years ago we had tickets to see the Tigers play at home and a typhoon
took that option away, so we are trying again. We have the Tigers, Carp and Swallows under consideration, but would love thoughts on what else to consider. Feeling like the Giants at home would feel too corporate, or am I mistaken?

I wrote a review of all the NPB stadiums (with beer girl photos!) , it's here:

jphripjah reviews Japanese baseball stadiums

I highly recommend Yokohama. It has a small outdoor stadium in the heart of Yokohama, just 25 minutes by trains from central Tokyo, with a fair amount of English in the stadium over the PA system and on the scoreboard. Yokohama is pleasant to walk around and see the waterfront and European heritage buildings, so I would recommend spending a few hours there before the game.

Koshien stadium in Osaka is great. You can book tickets easily on the Hanshin Tigers website, the only issue is that tickets do sell out especially for weekend games. I'm not sure if May tickets are on sale yet but you'll want to buy shortly after they go on sale.

I just bought tickets for a Carp game in mid-April and the only tickets left were bleachers/standing room.

Never a problem getting tickets at the Seibu Dome.

Good luck.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I highly recommend Yokohama. It has a small outdoor stadium in the heart of Yokohama, just 25 minutes by trains from central Tokyo, with a fair amount of English in the stadium over the PA system and on the scoreboard. Yokohama is pleasant to walk around and see the waterfront and European heritage buildings, so I would recommend spending a few hours there before the game.
An added bonus of Yokohama is that they made the Japan Series last year, so particularly early in the year, I would expect the fan experience to be notched up an extra level.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I wrote a review of all the NPB stadiums (with beer girl photos!) , it's here:

jphripjah reviews Japanese baseball stadiums

Koshien stadium in Osaka is great. You can book tickets easily on the Hanshin Tigers website, the only issue is that tickets do sell out especially for weekend games. I'm not sure if May tickets are on sale yet but you'll want to buy shortly after they go on sale.

I just bought tickets for a Carp game in mid-April and the only tickets left were bleachers/standing room.

Never a problem getting tickets at the Seibu Dome.

Good luck.
Incredibly helpful - Hanshin Tigers it is and we will hope that we are not rained out again. If that happens, we will go back to your list for a Plan B, as we have some flexibility.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I don't know if @jphripjah would agree, but personally I highly recommend getting tickets in the home team cheering section, if you can. They tend to be bleachers, and among the cheaper seats, but the fan experience there can't (imo) be beat.
dsquared37 and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by armagebedar
A gentle reminder to all: please avoid attacking or otherwise being needlessly antagonistic towards other FTers. Opinions can be shared in a constructive fashion.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
and this is why I've given up on this place. too many old people.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

wow. boy did the dome suck tonight in tokyo. sure, giants lost, but half the sold out dome cheering for NPHW, seeing Uehara in his return to the giants, crowd went insane, as much as I despised him on the .... socks missing word intentional....only to get inside and be dry when the swallows game scrubbed. but hey, I liked it. so did the 45K or so. I'm sure many there thought it sucked but I did not. and it was pre season. granted holiday tomorrow.

signed, donki

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.