FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Buying Japan Baseball tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1554161-buying-japan-baseball-tickets.html)

OliverB Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am

Are there any daytime/afternoon ballgames happening at a fun open-roof stadium in central Tokyo this month or first week of April? Could be minor leagues too...

dsquared37 Mar 14, 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by runningonfumes (Post 29522914)
IMO I was meh at zoom zoom and I hate the [redacted] sox so going to a game at a stadium that looked like [redacted] was not the draw but the game.

Rudy Guiliani, is that you? :D

jib71 Mar 14, 2018 10:53 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 29523968)
Are there any daytime/afternoon ballgames happening at a fun open-roof stadium in central Tokyo this month or first week of April? Could be minor leagues too...

Yakult Swallows play at Jingu stadium on 3/16-18 & 3/20-21 & 4/3-8
Various other amateur games on other dates in March and April.
?????????? | ???????

BuildingMyBento Mar 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Still get a chuckle out of this story

dsquared37 Mar 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 29526015)

:D

runningonfumes Mar 15, 2018 5:08 am

I'm sorry but to take the advice here about dome or no dome is like getting advice about collecting points on trip advisor. hmmm. see swallows in potentially chilly weather or see say home opener series between giants and tigers in tokyo dome. or carp at tokyo dome you might be a little late getting tickets though

http://www.giants.jp/en/ticket/

dsquared37 Mar 15, 2018 5:39 am

Originally Posted by runningonfumes (Post 29527255)
I'm sorry but to take the advice here about dome or no dome is like getting advice about collecting points on trip advisor. hmmm. see swallows in potentially chilly weather or see say home opener series between giants and tigers in tokyo dome. or carp at tokyo dome you might be a little late getting tickets though

TICKET | Yomiuri Giants Official Website

You're touting a particular game, the biggest of rivalries, which will most likely be great, but other than that the domes suck. Have at it Don Quixote.

runningonfumes Mar 15, 2018 5:59 am

yes.

the current dome game on tv between hawks giants sucks. in a dome.

Oliver does his research. he will figure out what works best for him. and I'm sure he will find many opinions.

armagebedar Mar 15, 2018 7:32 am

A gentle reminder to all: please avoid attacking or otherwise being needlessly antagonistic towards other FTers. Opinions can be shared in a constructive fashion.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

jphripjah Mar 15, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon (Post 29513812)
With that in mind, which teams should I prioritize for our upcoming trip to Japan in May? We are flexible on location and want to plan around one or two games....a few years ago we had tickets to see the Tigers play at home and a typhoon
took that option away, so we are trying again. We have the Tigers, Carp and Swallows under consideration, but would love thoughts on what else to consider. Feeling like the Giants at home would feel too corporate, or am I mistaken?

I wrote a review of all the NPB stadiums (with beer girl photos!) , it's here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...-stadiums.html

I highly recommend Yokohama. It has a small outdoor stadium in the heart of Yokohama, just 25 minutes by trains from central Tokyo, with a fair amount of English in the stadium over the PA system and on the scoreboard. Yokohama is pleasant to walk around and see the waterfront and European heritage buildings, so I would recommend spending a few hours there before the game.

Koshien stadium in Osaka is great. You can book tickets easily on the Hanshin Tigers website, the only issue is that tickets do sell out especially for weekend games. I'm not sure if May tickets are on sale yet but you'll want to buy shortly after they go on sale.

I just bought tickets for a Carp game in mid-April and the only tickets left were bleachers/standing room.

Never a problem getting tickets at the Seibu Dome.

Good luck.

angra Mar 15, 2018 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 29528346)
I highly recommend Yokohama. It has a small outdoor stadium in the heart of Yokohama, just 25 minutes by trains from central Tokyo, with a fair amount of English in the stadium over the PA system and on the scoreboard. Yokohama is pleasant to walk around and see the waterfront and European heritage buildings, so I would recommend spending a few hours there before the game.

An added bonus of Yokohama is that they made the Japan Series last year, so particularly early in the year, I would expect the fan experience to be notched up an extra level.

Mickidon Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 29528346)
I wrote a review of all the NPB stadiums (with beer girl photos!) , it's here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...-stadiums.html

Koshien stadium in Osaka is great. You can book tickets easily on the Hanshin Tigers website, the only issue is that tickets do sell out especially for weekend games. I'm not sure if May tickets are on sale yet but you'll want to buy shortly after they go on sale.

I just bought tickets for a Carp game in mid-April and the only tickets left were bleachers/standing room.

Never a problem getting tickets at the Seibu Dome.

Good luck.

Incredibly helpful - Hanshin Tigers it is and we will hope that we are not rained out again. If that happens, we will go back to your list for a Plan B, as we have some flexibility.

angra Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm

I don't know if @jphripjah would agree, but personally I highly recommend getting tickets in the home team cheering section, if you can. They tend to be bleachers, and among the cheaper seats, but the fan experience there can't (imo) be beat.

runningonfumes Mar 16, 2018 3:34 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar (Post 29527606)
A gentle reminder to all: please avoid attacking or otherwise being needlessly antagonistic towards other FTers. Opinions can be shared in a constructive fashion.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

and this is why I've given up on this place. too many old people.

runningonfumes Mar 20, 2018 7:21 am

wow. boy did the dome suck tonight in tokyo. sure, giants lost, but half the sold out dome cheering for NPHW, seeing Uehara in his return to the giants, crowd went insane, as much as I despised him on the .... socks missing word intentional....only to get inside and be dry when the swallows game scrubbed. but hey, I liked it. so did the 45K or so. I'm sure many there thought it sucked but I did not. and it was pre season. granted holiday tomorrow.

signed, donki