Reload this Page >

First day ever over 35C in October

Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

Today, the city of Itoigawa in Niigata Prefecture recorded a high temperature of 35.1C (95.2F). It is the first time in recorded history that Japan has hit a high temperature of over 35C in the month of October, breaking the old record of 34.3C set in Nagasaki on October 2, 2005.

It also broke the record for the latest +35C day in Japan by a whopping 11 days (September 28, 1991 in Toyama Prefecture)

Last edited by hailstorm; Oct 9, 2013 at 12:44 am
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Today, the city of Itoigawa in Niigata Prefecture recorded a high temperature of 35.1C (95.2F). It is the first time in recorded history that Japan has hit a high temperature of over 35C in the month of October, breaking the old record of 34.3C set in Nagasaki on October 2, 2005.

It also broke the record for the latest +35C day in Japan by a whopping 11 days (September 28, 1991 in Toyama Prefecture)
It's been tough down here in Osaka/Kobe area. Just moved a couple of weeks ago and decided not bring the old aircons with us. "Won't need them until next year, so I'll wait to spend that money" I thought. It's 32 at 6:30pm in this room and no cool breeze in sight. Crazy!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
In Itoigawa the high temperature was due to the Foehn wind. The city is right next to the Japan Northern Alps.
What is Foehn wind? http://vimeo.com/37244764

In Tokyo, it is 30 degrees Celcius (=86F) today(11 October). This has nothing to do with the Foehn wind.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's 30C outside, yet I just saw a woman walk by in a jacket and a big wooly scarf!

I guess some people just refuse to dress out of season...
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: UA *G MM
And I had planned to shut off the central AC by October 15......
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
And I had planned to shut off the central AC by October 15......
This freak heat wave should be over by then.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I was actually planning to climb Mt. Fuji this week (like today) but I sprained my foot. Would have been perfect, albeit a bit windy. Maybe Monday.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...-Fuji/6day/mid
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was the latest "mid-summer day" (defined as high temp of 30C or above) in Tokyo history, beating the last record set on October 9th, 1915.

A chance to break that record yet again tomorrow...
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
This was the latest "mid-summer day" (defined as high temp of 30C or above) in Tokyo history, beating the last record set on October 9th, 1915.

A chance to break that record yet again tomorrow...
31.3C in Tokyo today!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Our AC died on Thursday night, none of us got good sleep.

Repair folks said they have never been this busy with emergency AC repair in October before.

Funny thing, UNIQLO and other clothing stores don't have T shirts, golf shirts for sale anymore. Place was packed yesterday with people wanting `summer' clothing.

Is this proof of "global warming"? -
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Our AC died on Thursday night, none of us got good sleep.

Repair folks said they have never been this busy with emergency AC repair in October before.

Funny thing, UNIQLO and other clothing stores don't have T shirts, golf shirts for sale anymore. Place was packed yesterday with people wanting `summer' clothing.

Is this proof of "global warming"? -
UNIQLO was stocking up on winter clothes when I was there in the beginning of September. I doubt anyone would find any summer clothes there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.