Reload this Page >

Shibuya vs. Shinjuku

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shibuya vs. Shinjuku

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
For heaven's sake, my point was really that taking the bus to Roppongi is NOT intimidating or complicated.
Yet, your exact words were:

But Roppongi requires a bus ride, which can be intimidating.
Then you say:

The concept of taking a bus in Tokyo might be perceived to be "intimidating" for a first time tourist, but the Toei #1 to Roppongi is actually quite easy and it runs very frequently. Unlike other bus routes, it also has some English signage.
And, how is a first-time visitor to Tokyo to know that this particular bus route runs very frequently and has English signage, unlike other routes?

It seems to me that there's a certain recurring theme in this section of FT where certain members try to top one another on their level of gaijin superiority and sophistication, including the seemingly mandatory notion of looking down at those on lesser rungs of the ladder.

The OP is being given advice on a first-time visit to Tokyo. To tell the OP that by staying in Shibuya "requires" a bus ride if they want to get to Roppongi, and then adding color that buses are "intimidating", and then further qualifying it by saying "but not this particular bus route" is intimidating is really doing the OP and other first-timers a dis-service. Yes, we get it: you know Tokyo well. That's not of particular benefit to first-time travelers if you assume that if they pick the hotel location you recommend, that they'll also have the public transport knowledge and familiarity that you have.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Steve M
And, how is a first-time visitor to Tokyo to know that this particular bus route runs very frequently and has English signage, unlike other routes?
I think that's why he says it "can" be intimidating.

But personally, I have lived in Tokyo for several years, and I recently boarded the wrong bus at Shibuya after mis-reading the route map posted by the entrance. The bus station on the east side is in the middle of a construction area and not very well signposted, and the routes can be confusing unless you are paying very close attention. In my case I figured out that I needed to take a bus bound for Shimbashi, but there is more than one bus route from Shibuya to Shimbashi and they go in totally different directions from Shibuya. Fail!

That said, Toei has provided information about several bus routes of potential interest to tourists at: http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/bus/routes/eng/
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:59 pm

Getting us back on track to Krystal's query about subway vs JR... I will just say again that the issue of JR vs subway depends on where you are and where you're going to. It's that simple. Chances are, a Tokyo visitor will be taking both (although it's very possible to visit Tokyo using exclusively JR, but difficult to do so using exclusively subway). And although subways in Tokyo can be somewhat complicated, I think even most first-time visitors will manage to figure it out. That said, I still feel that JR trains are generally more straightforward to get to and transfer to/from, than the subways.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Getting us back on track to Krystal's query about subway vs JR... I will just say again that the issue of JR vs subway depends on where you are and where you're going to. It's that simple. Chances are, a Tokyo visitor will be taking both (although it's very possible to visit Tokyo using exclusively JR, but difficult to do so using exclusively subway). And although subways in Tokyo can be somewhat complicated, I think even most first-time visitors will manage to figure it out. That said, I still feel that JR trains are generally more straightforward to get to and transfer to/from, than the subways.
+1

I hope I didn't imply that I expected krystle920, or any other visitor based in Shibuya, to take the Yamanote line exclusively.

The transport network isn't hugely challenging and it is possible to just muddle along without the sort of mastery of the network and the associated stations that London Taxi drivers need to ply their trade (The Knowledge)

If you want the adventure of a bus ride don't forget the magic words: "ikimasu ka?" (Icky mass car - easy to remember as it describes a bus). If you do decide to take a bus, confirm the destination with a passenger before boarding.
eg, Sue me mass en(d), Azaboo Jooban icky mass car?
Sumimasen, Azabu Juban ikimasu ka
Means; excuse me, does this (bus) go to Azabu Juban?

You can use the phrase for other forms of transport too. Hopefully, you won't come across a pedantic passenger or rail employee who will confirm that the rain does indeed go to X but neglects to tell you that it doesn't stop there.

Considering the quality of your questions, Krystle, I am absolutely certain that you will have minimal problems (if any) figuring it all out. Don't worry about not having a route memorised with crack precision for every part of your stay, have fun bumbling around... I do!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
For first-time visitors, keep it simple and stick to the trains. You can much easier keep the two route maps (JR and subway) with you and figure out a train route to your destination than you can try to figure out how the buses work.
I second that. The train and subway system is easier to manage. Avoid the buses if it's your first visit to Tokyo.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Look, the first two times I went to Tokyo then taking a bus was not something I would even consider. I only used subway. Nor did I consider taking JR lines.

In 2009 we stayed at the ANA Intercon and decided that going to Shibuya was too much of a hassle. But we actually had a bus service at our door-step that would take us there in 10-15 min. And I suppose a cab ride would have been a viable option too.

So I am just trying to be helpful by informing about it. Four years ago I was a tourist and now I live in the middle of it. The only buses I have ever used over 2.5 yrs have been the Toei 1 along Roppongi and a bus that goes to Setagaya. But Google maps has all the bus info now. Just be aware that there are many bus companies so make sure that you are taking Toei, Keio, or Tokyu or whatever it tells you.

Also note that there are community buses that might be useful (I have never bothered). They have detailed English websites.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I personally prefer a palanquin. My bearers always know the quickest route.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
One nice thing about buses - once you muster up the courage to ride them - is that you see the city that you're passing through. The link that Joe posted above is well worth checking out.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
I find the new underground subway/Tokyu complex to be much more confusing than the JR area...
And considering that you are fluent, imagine what it might be like for first timers ! I was just there today, as I took the Fukutoshin line. It it too bad that they buried the whole complex sooooo deep ! That said, ridership is way up on the combined lines. They will be moving the Ginza line platform to Hikarie in the not too distant future (or so I was told).
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ray1966
I second that. The train and subway system is easier to manage. Avoid the buses if it's your first visit to Tokyo.
Your first visit to Tokyo was last month.
Did you go on a bus there?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:08 am

He who dares .... regrets.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
He who dares .... regrets.
Does that go to Eimi Guainhaus's place?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Does that go to Eimi Guainhaus's place?
Ha! I don't think so - LapLap and I would surely have noticed it on the streets around Camden. Perhaps it's on the long and guainding road to Mexico. I'll let you know if I see it - I'm flying down there tomorrow.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. As it is our first time to Tokyo, we would probably just try to stick with trains and subways vs buses unless it is a short straight shot. We are comfortable navigating subways, having lived in NYC, and have gone around the subways in London and Paris during our first time there too. Although I have to admit, just looking at the Tokyo subway map, it definitely looks the most intimidating as all the stops are so close to each other. =) The other thing is the cost issue. It seems hard to gauge which route is the cheapest option as it is distance-based, right? The added complexity is also comparing the costs of JR vs subway(s).

We are planning to buy the one-way 3,500 Yen SUICA/NEX package but it seems you can only buy them in NRT? Since we are taking the train from Kyoto to Tokyo, how do we purchase this? I am flying MNL-NRT-KIX, but I am not sure if I can buy 2 passes (one for me and one for my husband) if I only have one passport with me. Also, not sure if the office in NRT is on the way if I'm doing a terminal connection from ANA to Jetstar. Would 2000 in SUICA credits per person be too much, assuming we might also do some JR trains?

Btw, speaking of ANA Intercontinental, is this a good central location for our itinerary? A bit expensive but just in case a BRG opportunity pops up in the next few weeks.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have time, you can purchase Suica/N'Ex deal during your layover at NRT. However, you almost certainly will only be allowed to buy one. If you have enough time, you could try to sneak by via buying one at the JR ticket window and then waiting in line at the tourist office for a second -- although they might well check.

You only get Y1500 in Suica credits, the remaining Y500 is a refundable deposit for the card.

From Kyoto to Tokyo, just go to any JR ticket counter, or go to a shinkansen ticket machine and push or touch the little box/button labeled "English."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.