Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Advice on Humidity in Tokyo (what to do / how to cope)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

This is my first day in Tokyo. I took a stroll in the Ginza district in the morning and it was very humid. I knew it would be humid in tokyo during my stay, but my tolerance level for humid weather is low.

I am wondering how the locals deal with it? Do they have a higher tolerance level for humid weather? Or, is it just my body type that is sensitive to humidity.

I was not caught off guard. I knew it would be humid. I plan to venture inside department stores and museums until the evening when it is cooler.

Tokyo station was hot too when I arrived from narita airport. I don't think the train stations have air conditioning. Do they? I can't complain about my hotel since it is air conditioned.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:17 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by ray1966
I am wondering how the locals deal with it? Do they have a higher tolerance level for humid weather? Or, is it just my body type that is sensitive to humidity.
We complain. :P

Seriously, though, it's a matter of either getting used to it or leaving for 3-4 months. Incidentally, trains have air conditioning, but above-ground train stations often do not (subway stations do, however). Japan does not air-condition everything as they do in Singapore or Bangkok, and the "setsuden" energy-saving mindset is still prevalent among those who set the thermostat (mainly due to the high cost of energy rather than a particular desire to conserve).

I recommend staying indoors during the hottest part of the day (12:00-16:00) and venturing out before/after that time. Though to be honest, right now is not nearly as bad as a few weeks ago where it was regularly topping 35 degrees (and even higher in western Japan).
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:08 pm
In memoriam

This is my first day in Tokyo. I took a stroll in the Ginza district in the morning and it was very humid. I knew it would be humid in tokyo during my stay, but my tolerance level for humid weather is low.

I was not caught off guard. I knew it would be humid. I plan to venture inside department stores and museums until the evening when it is cooler.

Tokyo station was hot too when I arrived from narita airport. I don't think the train stations have air conditioning. Do they? I can't complain about my hotel since it is air conditioned.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Living in a high heat/humidity area (Florida) - don't worry about sweating or keeping 100% dry. Guess it's too late for packing advice in your case - but wear shorts and shirts with "wicking" fabrics. Remember to hydrate. Wear a cap or similar to keep your head cool (with many caps that are meant for outdoors things - you can soak them down with water to keep your head cool). If you start to feel sick from the heat/humidity - get inside an air-conditioned place and rest. And/or put a damp towel around your neck and/or on your head to get your body temperature down. Robyn
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
We complain. :P

I recommend staying indoors during the hottest part of the day (12:00-16:00) and venturing out before/after that time. Though to be honest, right now is not nearly as bad as a few weeks ago where it was regularly topping 35 degrees (and even higher in western Japan).
Yes, I had been following the weather before I left for Japan. August was worse. I will take your advice and stay indoors between 12 and 4 pm.

I brought my columbia sports short pants with me. Now that I see a Lot of Japanese men wearing short pants I plan on doing the same. I am also doing the wet towel thing which helps a lot.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:40 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yes, I had been following the weather before I left for Japan. August was worse. I will take your advice and stay indoors between 12 and 4 pm.
There are plenty of indoor activities to be had in Tokyo (museums, aquariums, shopping malls, etc.) so you shouldn't lack for activities. That being said, though the humidity right now is still high, the temperature is quite decent with a light breeze, so you might consider staying outside.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:09 am

Last week up through Saturday was quite a bit worse. Temp was up to 36C. There's definitely a body type / tolerance thing, because my wife doesn't mind the Tokyo humidity at all. I, on the other hand, hate the humidity, even though I love the dry heat and loved AZ summers.

Yeah just try to stay indoors. I could entertain myself all day long in Shinjuku or even Ikebukuro without ever taking a step outside. It helps if your hotel is directly adjoined to shopping/dining complex and train station.

Depending on the train station, there may be a department store adjoined to the concourse. So if you've got some spare time to kill while waiting for your train, you could go into the air-conditioned department store to wait it out and minimize the time spent waiting out on the muggy platform (although trains like Yamanote come every 2 minutes anyways).
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I was there last week and it was miserable. We're from Texas and still had to make frequent stops to go inside.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Last week up through Saturday was quite a bit worse. Temp was up to 36C. There's definitely a body type / tolerance thing, because my wife doesn't mind the Tokyo humidity at all. I, on the other hand, hate the humidity, even though I love the dry heat and loved AZ summers.

Yeah just try to stay indoors. I could entertain myself all day long in Shinjuku or even Ikebukuro without ever taking a step outside. It helps if your hotel is directly adjoined to shopping/dining complex and train station.

Depending on the train station, there may be a department store adjoined to the concourse. So if you've got some spare time to kill while waiting for your train, you could go into the air-conditioned department store to wait it out and minimize the time spent waiting out on the muggy platform (although trains like Yamanote come every 2 minutes anyways).
I am staying in the Ginza district so there are plenty of department stores to spend time at. What amazes me is that most japanese have a high tolerance for humidity. I did not see anyone drinking water in the stations or in the street besides tourists. I think over the years I have become less tolerant of heat and humidity. Or, maybe I have not lived in a humid climate long enough for my body to adjust to it. Who knows.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:12 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by rabtech
I was there last week and it was miserable. We're from Texas and still had to make frequent stops to go inside.
I think the problem is that those of us from places like Texas and Florida have enough sense to stay inside in the afternoon in the summer when we're at home. But we don't want to do that when we're on vacation! That said - I'm glad to see that the weather will cooling off a touch next week (highs in the low to mid-80's). Robyn
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I am staying in the Ginza district so there are plenty of department stores to spend time at. What amazes me is that most japanese have a high tolerance for humidity. I did not see anyone drinking water in the stations or in the street besides tourists. I think over the years I have become less tolerant of heat and humidity. Or, maybe I have not lived in a humid climate long enough for my body to adjust to it. Who knows.
According to traditional Japanese etiquette, it is bad manners to eat or drink while walking around. People will often buy a cold drink from a vending machine and stand there while drinking it. (In former times, Japanese drink cans were small, about 12 oz., until the so-called "American size" 16-oz. can was introduced a couple of decades ago.) That's why you see recycling bins right next to the machines.Otherwise, Japanese people may go sit on a park bench to drink their purchased beverage or go into a sit-down coffee shop and buy an iced coffee or something.

Tourists are usually ignorant of this convention, so they're the ones you see taking swigs from their water bottles while walking down the street.

But note all the vending machines and all the drinks available in convenience stores. Japanese people do drink liquids in hot weather!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
There's a large, underground Metropolis under Tokyo. Miles and miles of store-lined, air-conditioned passageways with no traffic lights. In many cases, you don't even have to step outside to get where you're going.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
According to traditional Japanese etiquette, it is bad manners to eat or drink while walking around. People will often buy a cold drink from a vending machine and stand there while drinking it. (In former times, Japanese drink cans were small, about 12 oz., until the so-called "American size" 16-oz. can was introduced a couple of decades ago.) That's why you see recycling bins right next to the machines.Otherwise, Japanese people may go sit on a park bench to drink their purchased beverage or go into a sit-down coffee shop and buy an iced coffee or something.

Tourists are usually ignorant of this convention, so they're the ones you see taking swigs from their water bottles while walking down the street.

But note all the vending machines and all the drinks available in convenience stores. Japanese people do drink liquids in hot weather!

Yes, I have been observing Japanese customs since my arrival. I have followed the etiquette here. Interestingly, I ran into an American in an elevator who was drinking from a 32 ounce water bottle. I explained to him japanese don't eat or drink while they are walking. Apparently, he was not aware of that. I think I am beginning to adjust to the humidity. Spent four hours in the Mori tower and the the mid city complex today. The subway trains are air conditioned, and yes there are many underground shopping avenues throughout the city. I guess no one will raise an eyebrow if I drink next to a vending machine. I only saw one young Japanese lady drink while she was leaving the subway station.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: Delta Plat & 1M, Hilton Gold, IHG Rewards Plat
As a Japanese I agree eating and drinking true beverage such as alcohol are not recommended while walking – they are considered as more “uneducated” rather than just lack of etiquette – but generally speaking drinking water on the street is not so strictly prohibited. Nowadays no one seems to care if you are drinking water or light sports-drink from a small pet bottle even in a commuter train (not during peak hours, of course).

What amazes me is that most japanese have a high tolerance for humidity. I did not see anyone drinking water in the stations or in the street besides tourists.
Partially because we Japanese tend to think if we drink much water in such hot and humid weather we get sweat and feel more uncomfortable. I usually drink a lot of water while walking in less humid places, such as China or the US but not in Tokyo.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been told that there was a time in the USA, probably up to about 1960, when it was considered improper to eat or drink in the street too. In that era, some elite (women's?) colleges even had rules about eating or drinking on the street in their small towns.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, NW
My grandmother believed that it was HARMFUL to drink water while sweating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.