Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What is the Tokyo weather like in September?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Tokyo weather like in September?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
Well - I've been looking up some ideas for hot weather. One might be to go to Tsukiji (fish market) in the early morning when it's cool (it opens very early) - then go to Asakusa (temple area) - then take the water bus down to Odaibo (waterfront amusement place). You can rest on the boat - and the latter is supposed to get "cool breezes" off the water (I'll believe this when I see it ). There's a lot to see on Odaibo best I can tell - but I'm most interested in the science museum.

This is too much for us to do on one day (and we've been to Tsukiji and Asakusa before). But - if you have the energy - you'll see some "old Tokyo" - some "new Tokyo" - and be close to some good food during the day.

FWIW - my husband will be wearing shorts unless long pants are necessary. Why suffer in the heat? Robyn
Robyn,

Sounds like a plan. My hotel is in the Ginza area, so I am planning to tour the department stores in that area on my first day. Then mid-afternoon take the train to the Roppongi area and visit Mori building before I head out in the evening towards Shinjuku. I plan to be inside museums and department stores on the first day before I head outside and see how I fare in the humid and hot Tokyo weather in September. Train rides from Ginza to Roppongi take about 10 minutes, and from Ginza to Shinkuju are 20 minutes long. So I plan to complete the infamous "circle" or loop around Tokyo in the first three or four days before I head out any further.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:34 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ray1966
Robyn,

Sounds like a plan. My hotel is in the Ginza area, so I am planning to tour the department stores in that area on my first day. Then mid-afternoon take the train to the Roppongi area and visit Mori building before I head out in the evening towards Shinjuku. I plan to be inside museums and department stores on the first day before I head outside and see how I fare in the humid and hot Tokyo weather in September. Train rides from Ginza to Roppongi take about 10 minutes, and from Ginza to Shinkuju are 20 minutes long. So I plan to complete the infamous "circle" or loop around Tokyo in the first three or four days before I head out any further.
I don't expect we'll make it to evening stuff until about our 3rd-4th day. Too much jet lag. YMMV.

Don't forget the food basements in the department stores. They're wonderful.

And the Mori Building - for the art museum - the observation desk - or ??? My husband doesn't like heights. No observation decks for us!

If you're in that general part of Tokyo - check out Omotesando Hills - at least for a "walk-through". Yes - it's a shopping mall. But one designed by the famous architect Tadao Ando (who has done things like the Modern Art Museum in Fort Worth Texas - great building).

And - just in my opinion. Although Tokyo can seem "smaller" once you figure out the excellent subway system (at least in terms of getting from here to there) - when you hit the ground - it gets a whole lot bigger. It's huge both in terms of geography - and population. And - since things are really dense - you're dealing with a ton of stuff IMO. Much more than I can absorb in one or two trips (or perhaps even 20).

BTW - don't know what part of the world you live in. I live in the SE United States. Hot/humid country. And I am outside in the summer. If you can swing it - buy some casual clothing with the newer advanced "wicking" fabrics. They work well in hot humid climates. And now that we're getting to the end of summer - you might find some good "end of season" sales before your trip. Robyn

P.S. Just noticed you're in Portland (cool albeit damp most of the time). I 100% recommend advanced wicking clothing for you.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
I don't expect we'll make it to evening stuff until about our 3rd-4th day. Too much jet lag. YMMV.

Don't forget the food basements in the department stores. They're wonderful.

And the Mori Building - for the art museum - the observation desk - or ??? My husband doesn't like heights. No observation decks for us!

If you're in that general part of Tokyo - check out Omotesando Hills - at least for a "walk-through". Yes - it's a shopping mall. But one designed by the famous architect Tadao Ando (who has done things like the Modern Art Museum in Fort Worth Texas - great building).

And - just in my opinion. Although Tokyo can seem "smaller" once you figure out the excellent subway system (at least in terms of getting from here to there) - when you hit the ground - it gets a whole lot bigger. It's huge both in terms of geography - and population. And - since things are really dense - you're dealing with a ton of stuff IMO. Much more than I can absorb in one or two trips (or perhaps even 20).

BTW - don't know what part of the world you live in. I live in the SE United States. Hot/humid country. And I am outside in the summer. If you can swing it - buy some casual clothing with the newer advanced "wicking" fabrics. They work well in hot humid climates. And now that we're getting to the end of summer - you might find some good "end of season" sales before your trip. Robyn

P.S. Just noticed you're in Portland (cool albeit damp most of the time). I 100% recommend advanced wicking clothing for you.

Robyn,

To answer your questions:

Mori Tower: I plan to visit both the museum and the observation deck
Yes, we have the Columbia Clothing Company headquartered among others in pdx, so I plan on buying clothes with wicking fabric before I leave. No Jeans though!

Thanks for the information!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today it was 34 c at 18:00 with 77% humidity
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:15 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Today it was 34 c at 18:00 with 77% humidity
In a suit too. Oy Vey!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
In a suit too. Oy Vey!
Don't you participate in the super-duper cool biz program ?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Don't you participate in the super-duper cool biz program ?
What.... the one where you're cooled by the sweat running down your back and beyond? Aided of course by the ratchet up in corporate thermostats after Fukushima.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
What.... the one where you're cooled by the sweat running down your back and beyond? Aided of course by the ratchet up in corporate thermostats after Fukushima.
Just take a break every hour and go sit in your Aston Martin with the AC on full !
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I need to replace the serpentine belt tensioner pulley in my car. The other day it started to make a real racket if the car is in Drive and you are putting a load on the belt, e.g. AC system is on or you are working the power steering while parking. So I have to put the car in neutral at every light and it becomes a real nuisance in juutai. Perfect timing for the season. I hate automatic transmissions.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:52 am

Just take a break every hour and go sit in your Aston Martin with the AC on full !
Actually I do sometimes. Not an Aston Martin... but it has seat ventilation, which IMHO for Tokyo is more important than the wheels.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Actually I do sometimes. Not an Aston Martin... but it has seat ventilation, which IMHO for Tokyo is more important than the wheels.
So you weren't the bald guy who kept waving at me from their Aston Martin last week ? Phew !
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I am sure 5Khours wouldn't be caught dead in a mass produced car like an Aston Martin. Gotta have a Pagani or a Koenigsegg.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:55 am

So you weren't the bald guy who kept waving at me from their Aston Martin last week ? Phew !
No that was gnaget!

Originally Posted by gnaget
I am sure 5Khours wouldn't be caught dead in a mass produced car like an Aston Martin. Gotta have a Pagani or a Koenigsegg.
I'm more of sedan guy. Don't really fit in the toy cars. My neighbor has a pink Lamborghini (world's only). She was going to let me take it out for spin, but I literally couldn't see out the front without spreading my knees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.