Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Mid-range place to stay in Nagoya

Old Jul 20, 13, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I would like suggestions on a place to stay in Nagoya for a night. A mid-range place that has good breakfast and is near good authentic Japanese cuisine. Maybe someone can recommend me a place to have dinner as well.

Any tips and suggestions very much appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 13, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about the Marriott Associa hotel right at Nagoya station? Certainly plenty of dinner choices near there!
Old Jul 21, 13, 6:54 am

Here are some Nagoya restaurant listings that you might find helpful. I'd recommend trying Nagoya cochin, an heirloom breed of chicken that's a specialty of the region.

Nagoya Tokyu Hotel has a good location and reasonable value; otherwise somewhere near Nagoya station would also be convenient.
Old Jul 21, 13, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Would the Mariott be the best hotel in Nagoya? If so, I'll be staying there instead. I read that it is the number 1 hotel in Nagoya.

What would be a good place to eat near the hotel? I read that the Miso Tonkatsu is a specialty in Nagoya. Maybe someone can recommend me other places in the vicinity of the hotel. And I want a place that I would feel comfortable going to as a tourist and not worry about any language issues.

Also, what whould be the best and easiest way to get to the hotel?
Old Jul 21, 13, 10:04 am

Well if you're only having one dinner you could always eat in the hotel - you certainly won't have language issues, and if it's the best hotel in town it should have a good restaurant.
Old Jul 21, 13, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobsterdog View Post
Well if you're only having one dinner you could always eat in the hotel - you certainly won't have language issues, and if it's the best hotel in town it should have a good restaurant.
I would like to try something authentic I guess. Thats why I am asking around for some good spots near the hotel.
Old Jul 21, 13, 11:09 am

That word ('authentic') doesn't really have much meaning in the context of Japanese restaurants in Japan - it's not like there are loads of restaurants catering to foreign tourists by offering some watered-down version of Japanese cuisine. And certainly not in Nagoya.

You might enjoy Nenohi which is near your hotel. (It's in a shopping mall, mind you, not a quaint little shack, but that's often where actual Japanese people go to eat dinner.) It's run by a sake brewery and they serve nicely prepared seasonal dishes that go with sake.

Miso tonkatsu is definitely a local Nagoya specialty, in the same way that hot dogs are a New York City specialty. But you might not want to waste your one Nagoya dinner on it.
Old Jul 21, 13, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 View Post
Would the Mariott be the best hotel in Nagoya? If so, I'll be staying there instead. I read that it is the number 1 hotel in Nagoya....

Also, what whould be the best and easiest way to get to the hotel?
I don't think Nagoya has any really great hotels. That Marriott would probably be quite acceptable but by no means luxury.

The best and easiest way to get to the Marriott is to take a lift or escalator from Nagoya station. It's right on top of the station.

There is a branch of a well-known miso tonkatsu place in the shopping center adjacent to the station. I forget the name -- someone here will know, I hope!
Old Jul 21, 13, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Does Nagoya have any luxrury hotels at all?

And how do I get from Chubu Centrair airport to the hotel? What would be the best way, how far is it, the price and would I find some non-Japanese people?
Old Jul 22, 13, 2:29 am

Programs: HH, BD
Does Nagoya have any luxrury hotels at all?
IME, it's not really a luxury hotel or luxury restaurant kind of town. It's the kind of place you should be seen to wear a good Republican cloth coat...

I found myself in Pittsburgh recently and inquired about local specialties. Apparently, "mac and cheese" is a thing there. When I heard that, I thought ... How very Nagoya. That's not to say it's not a fine thing to make mac and cheese or to slather miso over fried pork.

And how do I get from Chubu Centrair airport to the hotel? What would be the best way, how far is it, the price and would I find some non-Japanese people?
Per the hotel website - take the meitetsu train from the airport to Meitetsu Nagoya station. The hotel is practically on top of the JR station, which is just across the road from the Meitetsu station.
http://www.associa.com/english/nma/location.html
Old Jul 22, 13, 6:29 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
There is a branch of a well-known miso tonkatsu place in the shopping center adjacent to the station. I forget the name -- someone here will know, I hope!
Probably Yabaton.
Old Jul 22, 13, 6:52 am

Actually three branches of Yabaton in three shopping centers adjacent to the station. The one in Meitetsu is the closest to the hotel....
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:03 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
In Nagoya miso tonkatsu is called “misokatsu” and as armagebedar suggested Yabaton takes the claim as the original misokatsu. The first one to come up with the concept of miso tonkatsu.

In Nagoya Marriott, Hilton, and Westin are considered to be a top end hotels. OP wrote on the title “Mid-range” so I got the impression OP was not looking for a hotel like Marriott, but looking for something simpler, smaller, and cheaper. But sounds like OP is happy with Marriott, then OP will be looking at high end hotels at Nagoya.

I just wanted to add. I do not know what kind of dinner you are looking at Nagoya, but misokatsu (miso tonkatsu) is no way considered as high end meal. Wanted to add because if you are at Nagoya for business and want to treat your clients for some nice dinner then I would not consider misokatsu as an option.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jul 22, 13 at 7:20 am
Old Jul 22, 13, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by lobsterdog View Post
You might enjoy Nenohi which is near your hotel. (It's in a shopping mall, mind you, not a quaint little shack, but that's often where actual Japanese people go to eat dinner.) It's run by a sake brewery and they serve nicely prepared seasonal dishes that go with sake.
Or you can take a bit of a walk from the station and eat at the Nenohi honten, which is, actually, a quaint little shack. Coming from Western Japan, I've been known to get off the Shinkansen in Nagoya, go to Nenohi, have lunch, walk back to the station, and continue onwards to Tokyo.
Old Jul 22, 13, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Or you can take a bit of a walk from the station and eat at the Nenohi honten, which is, actually, a quaint little shack. Coming from Western Japan, I've been known to get off the Shinkansen in Nagoya, go to Nenohi, have lunch, walk back to the station, and continue onwards to Tokyo.
I'm impressed with how much you must like that place as that must add a fair amount (some thousands of Yen) to the price of the shinkansen ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: