Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MichaelJapan
Halows ( http://www.halows.com ) doesn't - and it's one of the largest chains around, along with Marunaka and less-so Co-op (the latter thankfully take cards).
Welcome to 西日本.
You don't have Aeon or any of the Aeon-owned chains around there?

Although this does remind me- I confused a cashier when I pulled out my Aeon card to try to get the discount they have on certain days of the month at an Aeon supermarket and it didn't work. Apparently certain supermarkets still don't support UnionPay.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: TK Elite
So would a VISA card work in Tokyo anywhere? How about in Onsen areas outside of Tokyo?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:14 am
Suspended

In Europe in many Stores and Restaurants is an CC Sticker outside to show the take a CC.
Is that in Japan to?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jamar
You don't have Aeon or any of the Aeon-owned chains around there?

Although this does remind me- I confused a cashier when I pulled out my Aeon card to try to get the discount they have on certain days of the month at an Aeon supermarket and it didn't work. Apparently certain supermarkets still don't support UnionPay.
We have Aeon, but it's nothing compared to stores in Osaka or Tokyo.
Aeon acquired Marunaka and Sanyo Marunaka a couple of years ago so they're expanding in the western part of the country. Marunaka now accepts cards, but I find Halows to offer wider product choice.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by gnaget
In central Tokyo there is a store from the Life chain, which is found in Shibuya on Meiji dori a few hundred meters south of the station. I like this store. This is one of the few suburban type supermarkets in central Tokyo. Free parking too.
I really like Life and go there a 3 times a week or so - there is literally one on my way home (as in no detour). Some of them have a bit of a different system though - one I know of has a separate bakery (complete with separate place to pay), and some have self-checkouts. The one on my way home doesn't have a bakery at all, which is a bit annoying.

In Kansai there is also Kohyo which is a rather small Aeon - my local shotengai has one.

FWIW Tamade doesn't accept credit cards.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ToGo
In Europe in many Stores and Restaurants is an CC Sticker outside to show the take a CC.
Is that in Japan to?
Even in North America this is common as well.
It never hurts to ask the merchant if they accept CC and just carry some JPY in case they do not.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a homesick brit who has quite obscene cravings for Waitrose (and M&S) could you tell me if there is a Peacock near Tokyo station? I had a look on the website, but found my auto-translate of it somewhat confusing.

Originally Posted by gnaget
Even the ultra-cheapskate OK, which is so cheap that it charges for plastic bags, take CCs. OK is found inside but separate from Home's home center stores.

In central Tokyo you will find more upscale and over-priced markets like Kinokuniya, Meidi-ya and Seijo Ishii. The latter has great fish in Foodshow at Tokyu in Shibuya. Often they are part of the basement level (food department) of a department store. The upscale shopping centers Tokyo Midtown and Roppongi Hills each have their own upscale supermarkets, Precce and LINCOS. Well, I assume so for the latter -- never entered.

For expat shopping but also excellent meat I recommend Nissin in Azabu-Juban.

Also in central Tokyo there is Peacock, e.g. Aoyama dori, Azabu-Juban, and Daikanyama. They have assorted items from Waitrose in the UK. More like a regular supermarket. Not a big fan.

The large chain Maruetsu (parent of LINCOS) has small markets called Maruetsu Petit all over central Tokyo. They are mediocre but much better than convenience stores.

In central Tokyo there is a store from the Life chain, which is found in Shibuya on Meiji dori a few hundred meters south of the station. I like this store. This is one of the few suburban type supermarkets in central Tokyo. Free parking too.

Another major chain but have to go to Setagaya and the more distant of the 23 wards and there is one around Hatsudai, is Summit. (Sammito). I don't like them.

Oh yeah, don't forget Hanamasa. It caters to small restaurants. But bulk size packaging is like regular US size packages. It is good for some things like vegetables and fruit, but beware of the Chinese gyoza and the Fukushima cucumbers.

Finally, Maruetsu Petit was originally called Pororoca. Maruetsu acquired the chain. What is a Pororoca you may wonder? It is an Amazonian tidal bore.... one hell of a name for a supermarket chain.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
So would a VISA card work in Tokyo anywhere? How about in Onsen areas outside of Tokyo?
Anywhere is a bit much..... But the major stores and hotels/restaurants are generally no problem. In Japan you always need to carry cash.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:04 pm
Suspended

It never hurts to ask the merchant if they accept CC and just carry some JPY in case they do not.
that create stress and that is what i not want.
Does someone know supermarkets who take cc?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:17 pm

What creates stress? Asking merchants or carrying cash? If you worry about the latter, you shouldn't. It is really safe here by world's standards.

Even though plastic is accepted in a lot of places, you have to remember that Japan is more of a CASH society.

As for supermarkets accepting cards, gnaget gave you a good list of those that do.

Last edited by MichaelJapan; Oct 10, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by emma69
As a homesick brit who has quite obscene cravings for Waitrose (and M&S) could you tell me if there is a Peacock near Tokyo station? I had a look on the website, but found my auto-translate of it somewhat confusing.
No. People don't generally live around Tokyo station.

Your best bets are Azabu-Juban or Aoyama dori. I think the latter is near Gaienmae station. It's an area that you should visit. Go to Omotesando. Check out the Prada building. Amazing architecture. The Meiji shrine is at the end of the street. Omotesando means the front approach road to the shrine.

Also Daikanyama is a pretty interesting place, especially if you are a fan of Tyler Brule. Could be combined with a trip to Shibuya.

Be warned that the Waitrose supplies can be spotty. The manager told me that they only get supplies every 6 months, but my comprehension of Japanese is lousy so I may have misunderstood. I haven't been to any since mid-2003; I don't like their products.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:30 pm

The Peacock that's easiest to get to seems to be the one near Akihabara (and Suehirocho) stations. 東京都千代田区外神田2-14-10
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
IIRC, there is a supermarket in the basement of the Marunouchi Building that has a lot of imported foodstuffs. I want to say it's a Seijo Ishii but it may have been a Meidi-ya.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by joejones
IIRC, there is a supermarket in the basement of the Marunouchi Building that has a lot of imported foodstuffs. I want to say it's a Seijo Ishii but it may have been a Meidi-ya.
I like the tiny import market in Omotesando, in the basement of the building that houses the MOMA (New York Museum of Modern Art) store.

Address B1 Gyre, 5-10-1 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

I think that's the right address.

There is a flipping amazing bread shop down there too next door.

Sorry to be off topic. Incidentally, the darn bread store is CASH ONLY.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
There's a Meiji-ya supermarket in the basement of the Marunouchi Bldg and a Seijo Ishii supermarket in the basement of the Shin-Marunouchi Bldg. And of course massive food markets in the Gransta complex in the basement of Tokyo station and the depachika basement of the Daimaru Department store.

They all take credit cards (although a surprising number of Tokyo supermarkets are cash-only, or take only obscure credit cards).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.