Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The delta between the absolute worst possible rate and the best possible rate is 2% (more likely 0.5 to 1.0%).

How much money are you planning on using?

Unless it's thousands of dollars, the cost of replacing the caloric consumption of brain activity thinking about this problem is greater than any possible savings.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
Unless it's thousands of dollars, the cost of replacing the caloric consumption of brain activity thinking about this problem is greater than any possible savings.
Well, that depends how much your time and effort is worth. If you were cash-poor and time rich, you might be willing to put more effort into squeezing as many yen from your dollars as possible - even for a small fistful of dollars. 2% of $100 dollars could be the o-nigiri that gets you through the morning until the department store basement sample counters open up ...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Considering how crazy some card issuers and atm operators can get, it can certainly make sense to think about it for a moment.

As an illustration, I topped up my Oyster card with 30£ (in the UK) and so did +1. She was charged nearly 5$ less than me due to varying fees on our respective credit cards. 5$ difference on a 40$ purchase done at virtually the same time is IMO substantial enough to check fees related to card usage.

@mrwhy: Check the credit card fees. I usually take currency with me to Japan and exchange it in banks for smaller amounts and places that don't take cards. That's overall cheaper for me than withdrawing money at ATMs in Japan. YMMV
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
yeah, some banks charge really silly fees, and different people have different needs, so just blowing off the issue might be the right answer for some but not necessarily everyone.

As above, the answer of which is best to use depends heavily on your specific circumstances. The closest thing I can come to "one" answer is to say that there are banking and credit card options available to most US folks that make the choice a wash. If you're willing to put in the time to set up the accounts, you can get no-fee, within 1% of market-clearing-exchange-rate on both ATM withdrawals and credit cards.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
2% of $100 dollars could be the o-nigiri that gets you through the morning until the department store basement sample counters open up ...
Wait, what? Sample counters? Tell me more? Are they as generous with seconds as, say, Costco?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, NW
The food departments in the department store basements often offer free samples. I've never tried to get "seconds," but the sheer number of counters offering free samples can make for a substantial between-meal snack. Get some o-nigiri here, a bit of kushi-katsu there, some sakura-mochi at another place, and you are fortified till meal time.

And even if you're not hungry, it's fun to explore the sheer variety of foods available, including a lot of prepared items for busy commuters to take home.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It is nice to actually buy something occasionally.
BH62 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
It is nice to actually buy something occasionally.
Ha, that won't be a problem. I can't buy it all, but would still like to try as much as I can. I anticipate needing to buy luggage to bring my haul back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.