Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: FT
i have never see hyperdia suggest airport limo (google, yes) and it should tell you the entire trip length so you should be able to determine what is shorter or not and the cost
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kzap
On the way back from Kyoto to Haneda Airport,

both Hyperdia and Google Maps is telling me to either get off at Shin-Yokohama and take the limousine bus to Haneda Intl

or get off at Shinagawa and take the Keikyu line to Haneda Intl

Is either better or shorter?
That makes zero sense.

You always, and I mean always take the Shinkansen to Shinagawa, the station after Shin-Yokohama and then transfer to the Keikyu line to Haneda airport.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
ok Keikyu line it is
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:25 pm

The information regarding eligibility criteria for the rail pass (revised as of 6/1/17) has been updated in the wiki.

Last edited by muji; Jun 27, 2017 at 9:40 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Suica can be used in Tokyo subway but can it be used in Kyoto also or I have to get a different card for that?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by kzap
Suica can be used in Tokyo subway but can it be used in Kyoto also or I have to get a different card for that?
yes

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html

when in doubt, consult the site that issues the same.

it just can not be used to take a train from one zone to another.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:38 pm

anyone know how myjrpass.com (or ntaamerica.com, both owned by NTA America) codes the purchases?
(those two are the cheapest)

on visa's site, they are indeed listed as "Travel Services - 4722" for their CA office, but "Business/Professional Services - 5969" for their NJ office

myjrpass allows only LA pickup, ntaamerica allows LA/NJ/SF pickup
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
What is my most efficient rail pass for the following day in tokyo:

Arrive morning at NRT, need to get to Shibuya
Shibuya to Shimokitazawa
Shimokitazawa to HND in the evening.

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
What is my most efficient rail pass for the following day in tokyo:

Arrive morning at NRT, need to get to Shibuya
Shibuya to Shimokitazawa
Shimokitazawa to HND in the evening.

Thanks
I do not think there are any passes which will be cheaper, you will be doing simple one way trip. Narita Express has round trip discount for non-Japanese citizens but that does not apply since you will be returning to HND.

Best opetion is to buy tickets individually.

Narita Airport – Shibuya by Narita Express: 3190 yen
Shibuya - Shimokitazawa round trip by Keio Inogashira Line : 260 yen
Shibuya - Shinagawa by JR Yamanote Line: 170 yen
Shinagawa - Haneda Airport by Keihin Kyuko Line: 410 yen
Total of: 4030 yen

Passes work only planning multiple trips in certain period. Under your situation passes will be more expensive.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I do not think there are any passes which will be cheaper, you will be doing simple one way trip. Narita Express has round trip discount for non-Japanese citizens but that does not apply since you will be returning to HND.

Best opetion is to buy tickets individually.

Narita Airport – Shibuya by Narita Express: 3190 yen
Shibuya - Shimokitazawa round trip by Keio Inogashira Line : 260 yen
Shibuya - Shinagawa by JR Yamanote Line: 170 yen
Shinagawa - Haneda Airport by Keihin Kyuko Line: 410 yen
Total of: 4030 yen

Passes work only planning multiple trips in certain period. Under your situation passes will be more expensive.
Always Aisle is correct. The only way that would be cheaper would be to take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno for ¥2,470, but then you'd have to buy a separate ticket to Shibuya for ¥200, so in effect, you'd be saving only ¥500, which isn't even US$5.00.

If you're just flying in and out to one major destination, a pass is a waste of money. Your whole in-Japan trip is less than US$40.00. (In case you don't know it, Shimokitazawa is IN Tokyo, a neighborhood in Setagaya ward.)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Trying to plan some routes for my rail pass and I've got something that's puzzling me. Has anyone ever seen Hyperdia get it wrong? Looking at a route from Tokyo or Ueno to Tazawako on October 4, 2017. Mid-afternoon departure from Tokyo.

Hyperdia has me changing to a local train at Morioka for almost every routing option, but JR-East's regular timetable as well as their foreigner reservation page says that Komachi 21, 23, and 25 are all good direct route choices for me. I even double checked that they're all operating on 10/4. What gives? It's not like changing to a local train is producing a faster journey...
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Trying to plan some routes for my rail pass and I've got something that's puzzling me. Has anyone ever seen Hyperdia get it wrong? Looking at a route from Tokyo or Ueno to Tazawako on October 4, 2017. Mid-afternoon departure from Tokyo.

Hyperdia has me changing to a local train at Morioka for almost every routing option, but JR-East's regular timetable as well as their foreigner reservation page says that Komachi 21, 23, and 25 are all good direct route choices for me. I even double checked that they're all operating on 10/4. What gives? It's not like changing to a local train is producing a faster journey...
if you order by transfer (instead of time by default), you'll see it.
or play around with the departure time

hyperia's routing isn't always that good
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
if you order by transfer (instead of time by default), you'll see it.
or play around with the departure time

hyperia's routing isn't always that good
Tried all sorts of times and filters. No matter what I do, the only direct trains it returns are Komachi 3, 7, and 13.

I'm getting slightly worried that 21, 23, and 25 don't actually run on 10/4
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Looks like they don't. If you just put in Morioka to Tazawako in as a search and then click interval, you can see the only choices.

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/inter...chday=20171004

If you look very carefully at that JR East schedule page, you will see this symbol beside Komachi 25. 23 and 21

* - Operated only in peak travel seasons or an (sic) specified days. You can then click on that at the top of the schedule to see what days it operates

Last edited by mapleg; Sep 3, 2017 at 7:35 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
If you look very carefully at that JR East schedule page, you will see this symbol beside Komachi 25. 23 and 21

* - Operated only in peak travel seasons or an (sic) specified days. You can then click on that at the top of the schedule to see what days it operates
Apologies if I'm just not getting it, but I click the asterisk to see what days it is and isn't running and October 4, 2017 has a green background. Therefore it should be running. Screen-grab of JR schedule.

But then a Hyperdia search just doesn't find it. Set to the same date, a few minutes before the scheduled departure, sorted by transfers, 10 outputs set, no methods filtered out. Hyperdia screen-grab..

I've been a tourist in Japan several times and spend a lot of time on trains there. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't legitimately confused on what was going on. I think this may actually be a bug in Hyperdia. Is there an alternate schedule to check beyond JR and Hyperdia? Is the Google Maps schedule accurate?

EDIT: I now have a confirmed seat reservation on a train which Hyperdia doesn't think exists. This is 100% a bug.

Last edited by zoobtoob; Sep 3, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.