Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Thanks for your response Ksandness....

I'm an employee for a USA-based company, visting a bunch of suppliers in Japan. I'll be flying into HND, then train to Kyushu, then back north to Mito and then flying out of NRT. Just the business part of the trip will save my company ~$100 in train cost. Since my trip will be exactly 7 days, I can put my NEX ticket on it as well. I find that most of the places I want to go in Tokyo can be reached by the Yamanote circle line... Yes, I do have a SUICA card for those subway/metro trips. Thanks for the reminder to bring it. :-)

The real doubt I have is whether Japan immigration will stamp my passport differently between TOURIST and BUSINESS visitor... As far as I can tell from my my recent business and tourist trips to Japan, the stamps look exactly the same... (but immigration did ask me why I was entering Japan each time...)

When I did get the JR pass last time, the agent looked carefully at my passport looking for the immigration stamp...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Here's the official definition of "Temporary Visitor":

"Sightseeing, recreation, sports, visiting relatives, inspection tours, participating in lectures or meetings, business contact or other similar activities during a short period of stay in Japan."

That sounds like your situation, and it sounds as if the full JR Pass is what you need. I'm a translator, and my most recent trips have been centered on professional conferences and visits to clients, with a large or small amount of tourism thrown in.

Just don't try to set up residence or earn money by working for the companies you visit.

As I said, JR doesn't care what kind of "Temporary Visitor" you are. They just don't want long-term residents or exchange students using the Pass.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> I'll be flying into HND, then train to Kyushu

That takes at least 6 hours with a JR pass, compared to flying for 5400yen (before Oct 29, double that after) on ANA Expreience Japan Fare.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
>> I'll be flying into HND, then train to Kyushu

That takes at least 6 hours with a JR pass, compared to flying for 5400yen (before Oct 29, double that after) on ANA Expreience Japan Fare.
Sorry for the newbie question. Where can I find that? Google/flight is no help. ANA website gave me the cheapest quote of $108usd for the ANA Experience fare. I I need to be in Shin-Yamaguchi station by monday evening (Oct 10). I need to get to Mito on Wednesday evening (Oct 12) after visiting a supplier in the morning... Currently, I plan to take a train to Tokyo and transfer to Mito. Is there another flight that would be appropriate getting from UBJ (I assume UBJ is the correct airport for Shin-Yamaguchi?) to Mito?

Any idea if UBJ to Shin-Yamaguchi station transfer is easy or not? (i.e. direct train or bus? or do I have to take a taxi?)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
IIRC, you must apply for your rail pass before you are in Japan. You then take your chit and redeem it at an appropriate station once in Japan.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
IIRC, you must apply for your rail pass before you are in Japan. You then take your chit and redeem it at an appropriate station once in Japan.
Yes. I need to order my JR pass this week... (Technically, I can order RUSH DELIVERY, but I think I can get it in time comfortably if I order it this week for regular FEDEX delivery.)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by chunky649
Yes. I need to order my JR pass this week... (Technically, I can order RUSH DELIVERY, but I think I can get it in time comfortably if I order it this week for regular FEDEX delivery.)
Hope you enjoy the Green Car. Once we were stranded on a stopped train and for over five hours. Comparatively a mild inconvenience, but glad we were not in cattle class.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Hope you enjoy the Green Car. Once we were stranded on a stopped train and for over five hours. Comparatively a mild inconvenience, but glad we were not in cattle class.
Interesting! To be honest, in my short experience/observation, the green car crowd tend to be older/boring folks in suits. I enjoy people watching, so I'll stay in cattle class.

I just realize that I will have a Japanese colleague in addition to my supplier that will have to schedule their travel to mesh with mine. In the interest of matching the 'considerateness' of my hosts, I think I will have to forgo the plane idea for this trip and stay with trains they proposed...

Thanks to all who responded! I will order my JR pass.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Sorry for the newbie question. Where can I find that? Google/flight is no help. ANA website gave me the cheapest quote of $108usd for the ANA Experience fare. I I need to be in Shin-Yamaguchi station by monday evening (Oct 10). I need to get to Mito on Wednesday evening (Oct 12) after visiting a supplier in the morning... Currently, I plan to take a train to Tokyo and transfer to Mito. Is there another flight that would be appropriate getting from UBJ (I assume UBJ is the correct airport for Shin-Yamaguchi?) to Mito?

Any idea if UBJ to Shin-Yamaguchi station transfer is easy or not? (i.e. direct train or bus? or do I have to take a taxi?)
One thing you have to remember about JR Pass is that it is not valid on Nozomi Shinkansen, fastest and most frequent Shinkansen.

If you want to get from Shin-Yamaguchi to Mito on afternoon of Oct. 12 without using Nozomi Shinkansen then the schedule is:

Trip 1:

Sakura No. 550
Shin-Yamaguchi: 12:45 p.m.
Shin-Osaka: 2:42 p.m.

Hikari No. 526
Shin-Osaka: 3:16 p.m.
Tokyo: 6:10 p.m.

Tokyo – Ueno on local commuter train (train comes every 4 – 5 min.)

Tokiwa No. 75
Ueno: 6:30 p.m.
Mito: 7:46 p.m.

Trick will be transfer between Tokyo and Ueno. You have 20 minutes to catch Tokiwa No. 75. Both Tokyo and Ueno stations are large station. If you make wrong turns or get onto wrong platform then you can easily waste 5 – 10 minutes and miss Tokiwa No. 75 at Ueno. Another possibility is:

Trip 2:

Kodama No. 742
Shin-Yamaguchi: 1:06 p.m.
Hiroshima: 1:49 p.m.

Sakura No. 552
Hiroshima: 1:56 p.m.
Shin-Kobe: 3:10 p.m.

Hikari No. 474
Shin-Kobe: 3:25
Shinagawa: 6:33 p.m.

Hitachi No. 25
Shinagawa: 6:44 p.m.
Mito: 8:08 p.m.

I think above is better in terms of transfer at stations. You will require that many transfers simply because you cannot use Nozomi Shinkansen on JR Pass. If you are going to travel with Japanese colleague then they may choose to ride on Nozomi because it is more frequent and faster. But your JR Pass will not be valid on Nozomi.

If Japanese colleague wants to use Nozomi then schedule is:

Sakura No. 550
Shin-Yamaguchi: 12:45 p.m.
Hiroshima: 1:16 p.m.

Nozomi No. 30
Hiroshima: 1:35 p.m.
Shinagawa: 5:26 p.m.

Hitachi No. 23
Shinagawa: 5:44 p.m.
Mito: 7:08 p.m.

If you want to fly then:

Airport Bus
Shin-Yamaguchi station: 10:57 a.m.
Yamaguchi Ube Airport: 11:35 a.m.

ANA 696
UBJ 12:45 p.m.
HND 2:20 p.m.

Keikyu Line
Haneda Airport: 3:11 p.m.
Shinagawa: 3:27 p.m.

Hitachi No. 19
Shinagawa: 3:44 p.m.
Mito: 5:05 p.m.

or

Airport Bus
Shin-Yamaguchi station: 1:32 p.m.
Yamaguchi Ube Airport: 2:10 p.m.

StarFlyer 14
UBJ 3:00 p.m.
HND 4:35 p.m.

Keikyu Line
Haneda Airport: 5:10 p.m.
Shinagawa: 5:34 p.m.

Hitachi No. 23
Shinagawa: 5:44 p.m.
Mito: 7:08 p.m.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Sep 19, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:34 pm

AlwaysAisle, Wow! Thanks for the suggested route!!

My supplier's revised itinerary (once I told them I wanted to buy a JR pass and cannot ride Nozomi and Mizuno) is the same as your TRIP1, except the last train - Hitachi #25 from Tokyo station 18:53 - 20:08. This gives me 43 minutes to find my way in Tokyo station... My record for getting lost in Tokyo station (about 10 years ago) was 2 hours before finding my way to my hotel (metropolitan marunouchi) It was my first trip to Tokyo and I thoroughly enjoyed walking through all the shops (several times)! :-)

I think my Japanese colleague (Japanese branch of my company) may travel with me until we reach Tokyo station. We knew each other for a long time. He may even bring me to a good ramen restaurant before seeing me off on the Mito train... :-)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
ANA website gave me the cheapest quote of $108usd for the ANA Experience fare.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/wws_co...experience_jp/

Limited offer!Special deals available for flights to and from Kyushu
Purchase period: June 1 - October 26, 2016
Travel period: June 1 - October 29, 2016
Applicable routes: All routes between Kyushu and Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya. (Search for applicable routes from Japan's main domestic routes below.)
Fare: ANA Experience JAPAN Fare [JPY 5,400]
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, a 7-day JR Pass is about the same as a roundtrip fare from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka.

It has the added advantage of allowing you to make side trips. Assuming you stay in Kyoto, you could also go to Osaka, Kobe, and Nara at no extra charge. From Tokyo, you could go to Kamakura or Nikko, again, at no extra charge.

You do not have to validate your pass immediately upon arrival if you are staying more than seven days. Pay the fare for the Narita Express or the Keisei Skyliner out of pocket (the Skyliner isn't covered by the Pass anyway, since it is not a JR train), buy a Suica debit card for the subways and private railroads (the JR Pass does not cover the subways or private lines), and validate your JR Pass before you head to Kyoto. If you time things right, you can use your Pass to reserve a place on the Narita Express back to the airport. (You can reserve any JR train or bus at any JR station in the country.)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case the above posts didn't make this clear: There is no other type of JR pass that is good on this route so that should make your decision simpler.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Again, to clarify a bit. Are you coming back to Tokyo from Kyoto within 7 days?

If so, the 7-day ordinary JR Rail Pass will likely help you. It is not really JR East, JR Central or any other regional rail company, it is country-wide and usable on all the various JR companies' lines throughout the country. If you can work it out within the 7 days, the Rail Pass can also be used for the JR Narita Express into Tokyo from NRT and/or the same train back out to NRT - assuming you will be using NRT. In addition, it can be used on any other Japan Rail train lines during the 7-days, as mentioned above.

If your stay will be longer than 7 days and you cannot do both legs of the Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo round trip within the validity period of the 7-day Rail Pass, the cost benefit becomes more problematic. The 14-day Rail Pass is much more expensive. If you don't plan much long-distance rail travel during your stay other than NRT-Tokyo-Kyoto/Osaka and return and if it will not fit within 7 days, then the Rail Pass will not pay for itself and you would be better off just paying for your tickets as you go and foregoing the Rail Pass.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Couple of advice.
Assume I need to use my exchange the voucher on 1st of Dec, If travel to Japan on 15th Nov and return back to HK office for work, can I exchange the voucher into a rail pass and start the booking so when I re-enter Japan on 1st Dec, there is nothing else to do?

My flight into NRT on 10th on CX will be around 15:15 on Business, does Business Class get any express ways in immigration? Also on the subject on exchanging JR voucher, how busy will it be at around that time at NRT? As I must be ready and out by 17:47 the last train that allows me to get from Narita to Hakodate.

Lastly,
Please enlighten me the arrangement for the train from Sapporo to Obihiro, I can understand the part that it requires change to bus at certain station and it requires seat booking, so as long as I have a issued ticket then they will take me there.
http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/press/2016/160926-3.pdf

Thanks alot in advance for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.