Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Himeno
So did I. Though Narita is cheaper then Tokyo and Tokyo hotels are 92% booked out for the time we'll all be there with basically just the $600+/night rooms left
I find it hard to believe that all the business hotels are booked up. Sure, they're not luxurious, sort of like a college dorm room, but there are so many of them, and they're everywhere. Plus, they charge less than $100 for a single room and often include a breakfast buffet.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:18 am
In memoriam

So did I. Though Narita is cheaper then Tokyo and Tokyo hotels are 92% booked out for the time we'll all be there with basically just the $600+/night rooms left
That doesn't sound right to me. I don't know what your dates are - but the lowest priced rooms at the Four Seasons are 42,500 yen - and there seems to be plenty of availability after 9/15 (a special ends on that date - there is availability of higher priced rooms before 9/15 - and they're still less than 60,000 yen). Robyn
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:49 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by ksandness
I find it hard to believe that all the business hotels are booked up. Sure, they're not luxurious, sort of like a college dorm room, but there are so many of them, and they're everywhere. Plus, they charge less than $100 for a single room and often include a breakfast buffet.
And if you use sites like PH you can still earn miles on them (and not pay any FTF at the time of purchase)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by robyng
That doesn't sound right to me. I don't know what your dates are - but the lowest priced rooms at the Four Seasons are 42,500 yen - and there seems to be plenty of availability after 9/15 (a special ends on that date - there is availability of higher priced rooms before 9/15 - and they're still less than 60,000 yen). Robyn
The "92% booked" is what a couple of the hotel booking sites were telling me on the weekend when I was looking for somewhere in Tokyo to book myself.

Anyway, the friend who is planning on 2 Osaka-Tokyo returns during her 2 weeks in Japan is looking at having to use a bus for the first one (the person she is staying with for the first part of her stay wants to use the bus).
Are any Oaska-Tokyo buses valid with the JR pass? The JR pass info site said something about express JR buses not being valid...
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: Dirt
The "92% booked" is what a couple of the hotel booking sites were telling me on the weekend when I was looking for somewhere in Tokyo to book myself.
I don't know how accurate that number is. I don't know when and what type of lodging you are looking for, but the business hotels that I stayed at were much better than college dorm rooms. Especially the recently renovated properties: they are smart and more spacious than the properties of the bubble years.

Some of the Japanese hotel properties are only listed on Japanese-oriented travel agencies like Rakuten Travel or Agoda

Are any Oaska-Tokyo buses valid with the JR pass? The JR pass info site said something about express JR buses not being valid...
Correct, JR highway buses are not valid.

Willer Express is one of the larger express bus companies. They even have a bus pass 3 days for 10,000 yen.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Regular vs First Class

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask my question here.

Two of us are traveling for leisure, starting in Fukuoka and making our way up to Tokyo. We will be in Japan for about a week and plan on doing 3-4 day trips besides making our way up to Nagoya and on to Tokyo. I think purchasing a JR pass is worth it in this case?

We will not travel during peak commuter hours, but I'm curious if it's worth paying for JR seven day (Japan-wide) First Class pass or stay with regular class. The price difference is about $100USD; are the trains in Japan typically that full in regular class? Are the additional amenities in First Class worth the price of admission?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jun 17, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just type in a few of your intented routes in Hyperdia and you will see the regular prices. Pretty easy to figure out if you are saving. If your side trips are a bit longer you probably will. If you go south from Fukuoka those tickets get very pricy. Your Fukuoka-Toko ticket alone will be about Ą20k out of the Ą29k for the regular rail pass.

Don't buy the argument that for first class you will have less issues getting seats. That's hardly ever the case. And not an issue when you get your tickets a few days before. The only time I had a problem was when I travelled on a Sunday morning without making seat reservations. But even then I found a (regular) seat in the non-reserved car.

But when I travelled a few months ago I did appreciate the extra space and a little less crowded trains. On some of the trains the difference in seats is more significant than on others. I could care less about the towel you get in First.

And the difference for a 7day passs is "only" about $100 pp.

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 17, 2014 at 10:25 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Just type in a few of your intented routes in Hyperdia and you will see the regular prices. Pretty easy to figure out if you are saving. If your side trips are a bit longer you probably will. If you go south from Fukuoka those tickets get very pricy. Your Fukuoka-Toko ticket alone will be about Ą20k out of the Ą29k for the regular rail pass.

Don't buy the argument that for first class you will have less issues getting seats. That's hardly ever the case. And not an issue when you get your tickets a few days before. The only time I had a problem was when I travelled to Tokyo on a Sunday morning without making seat reservations. But even then I found a (regular) seat in the non-reserved car.

But when I travelled a few months ago I did appreciate the extra space and a little less crowded trains. On some of the trains the difference is bigger than on others. I could care less about the towel you get in First.

And the difference for a 7day passs is "only" about $100 pp.
Thanks RTW1,

I will definitely save money with a JR Pass. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra $100 for "Green," or just go with standard. Sounds like your experiences have been easy to find a seat in non-green cars. So I guess it comes down to bigger seats and more luggage space (if needed) for an extra $14 per day; I guess it's not much to pay for guaranteed peace of mind and a hot towel.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
So I guess it comes down to bigger seats and more luggage space (if needed) for an extra $14 per day; I guess it's not much to pay for guaranteed peace of mind and a hot towel.
Luggage space is even less of an issue than seating, I've never had a problem with that regardless of class. But I think it's worth the small supplement (even when the towels are actually cold/shrink wrapped :-)).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Luggage space is even less of an issue than seating, I've never had a problem with that regardless of class. But I think it's worth the small supplement (even when the towels are actually cold/shrink wrapped :-)).
I suspect you're right. After I realized the price is only $100 more, it seems like a "no-brainer," I will opt for the Green Pass. Who knows, they might even have a microwave oven on board to heat up my towel.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
it seems like a "no-brainer," I will opt for the Green Pass. Who knows, they might even have a microwave oven on board to heat up my towel.
I think so too.... and you can always sit on that towel for a while :-).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:50 pm

Which JR train route from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka

I'm looking at the JR Rail website and they show a map of bullet train service, but they don't say if something is JR East, JR South, etc.

Which JR pass do I need to go from Tokyo to the Osaka/Kyoto areas?

Adam
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The Shinkansen Line from Tokyo to Osaka is JR Tokai.
For travel between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto, you could use a JR Pass (i.e. the one that covers the entire country). The price of the pass is close to the price of a roundtrip ticket between Tokyo and Osaka. So if you're planning any other rail trips, its' an attractive option. Another way is to buy a train + hotel deal from a tour operator, which can be better value.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Is JR Pass only for tourist? Business use?

I have a business trip coming up, and getting the JR pass would save my company at least $100. It would also be easier/convenient for me on my off days around Tokyo.

As far as I know, the entry stamp I get only say "Temporary Visitor", and there are no distinction on a business or tourist visitor... Can I still get/use a JR Pass?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, NW
JR doesn't care. Immigration would care if you did paid work for a Japanese employer or enrolled in a school, but JR just asks to see your passport. As long as your passport is stamped with "Temporary Visitor," you can use a JR Pass. They won't ask what you're doing during your temporary stay, and you don't need to tell them.

(I'm assuming that you know that you need to buy the voucher outside Japan.)

However, unless you're going to be traveling long distances (at least a round trip between Tokyo and the Kansai (Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe) region or making a LOT of side trips, a JR Pass may not be such a good deal, since you can't use it on the Tokyo subways or the regional private railroads.

For transportation on the subways, buses, and private railroads in the Tokyo area, your best bet is a Suica or Pasmo debit card, for sale at all stations, which doesn't save you any money but saves you from the hassle of buying individual tickets.

If your trips are limited to a certain area, you may want to look into the regional passes, too. For example, the JR East Pass:

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass...FYkjgQodQtoFKg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.