Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by aster
I think the SUICA card may also work in Osaka nowadays, no?
I think I explained that in my post. (Hint: Read the bit immediately before the sentence that you quoted ... it might save you a few dollars).
As for the Kensai pass, do I have to purchase it on the day of travel? Thing is I'll probably be taking the Shinkansen to Osaka on Saturday and then flying out late on Monday, so just wondering what the easiest way to get the pass (to use on Monday) would be...
I think that's clearly explained on the website that I linked to.

Sorry if I sound churlish but I feel that "Flyertalk helps those that help themselves" sort of thing ...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I got the first part just after I posted, been a month since I made those posts/read the replies and my head is still spinning as I'm flying out in a matter of hours...

You mentioned to use the Kansai pass on a day that I won't use local transport options like the subway, so if it turns out that on the day I will mainly be using that (I understand the subway will not be included?) then instead of the Kansai pass I should just purchase a 1-way ticket to the airport? Or would that for some strange reason be more expensive than the 1-day pass?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: Dirt
Or would that for some strange reason be more expensive than the 1-day pass?
Haruka train from Kyoto Station to KIX costs about 3500 yen. 1 day Kansai pass costs 2000 yen. It's a no-brainer.

I am not sure other travels makes sense on the Kansai pass. You need to pay extra to travel on Shinkansen and limited express trains with the Kansai pass. It's good for the Sanyo main line special rapid trains, but the regular fare is only about 500 yen from Kyoto station to Osaka station.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
FWIW I'll only be in Osaka, but I guess the Kansai pass would still be cheaper even if I just use it to get to the airport in the evening?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:42 am

JR West's Haruka from Shin-Osaka or Tenoji to KIX is about 3000yen. But being at Osaka opens you up to the Nankai's airport routes from their Namba station. Their Rapi:t limited express costs 1390 yen and the airport express commuter train costs 890 yen.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: QFF
I've never used a JR Pass before, always just used my ICOCA and Suica as needed, but I have some friends heading to Japan soon who would be better off with a JR Pass. So I need to find out more about them so I can help them.

How is the actual pass used? Does the pass work like an IC card and they just scan through the ticket gates, or do they have to stop and show something to someone in the booth and the manual gate? What happens if there isn't anyone at the booth?
For the lines that have reserved seats, how do they reserve the seat? Do they have to pay extra?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The full JR Pass must be purchased before they arrive in Japan. What they will get upon purchase is actually an "exchange order" which will be traded for the actual Pass after arrival. The Pass is a pocket sized folder with name, dates, etc.

To use the JR Pass on most local and other non-reserved trains, do not attempt to pass through the turnstile gates. Instead show the Pass to the attendant at the manned fare adjustment window to one side of the turnstiles. The same attendant can also direct you to the appropriate platform.

For reserved seats on shinkansen and limited express trains, make the reservation at the JR ticket office (green window) at main stations. Instead of paying, simply present the Pass. For most trains, there is no additional charge. Note that the Rail Pass is not valid on the fastest shinkansens (Nozomi and others). The next fastest trains (Hikari and others) are just as fast but make a few more stops so take a little longer.

On board the train, if the conductor asks for tickets, show the Rail Pass. If you have seat reservations, show that ticket as well.

More Info: http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
For most trains, there is no additional charge.
Which trains do have an extra charge?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Himeno
Nozomi and Mizuho.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:49 am

The full list.

For instance, if you want to take the Nozomi or Mizuho Shinkansen, you would need to purchase a ticket as if you don't have the pass at all.

If you take a night train such as Cassiopeia or Twilight Express, the JR Pass will cover the base fare but you will have to pay for the berth.

There are some local JR lines that partially run on private rail company's tracks. You will have to pay the private rail track fee. For example, the Rinkai line to Odaiba, and in Nagoya the Aichi Loop line.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:29 am

ok, so I have a friend who is staying in Osaka then coming up to meet me in Tokyo for a few days before heading to KIX to return to the US. She can use Hikari trains for Osaka-Tokyo-Kansai without having to pay extra, though she'll need to reserve a seat?

I have other friends who are just staying in Tokyo. They plan on getting JR East passes for NRT-Tokyo/Tokyo transport/Tokyo-NRT.

They'll only have to pay extra if they use a JR line which travels over private railway track, such as the Saikyō Line segment on Rinkai track?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:02 am

ok, so I have a friend who is staying in Osaka then coming up to meet me in Tokyo for a few days before heading to KIX to return to the US. She can use Hikari trains for Osaka-Tokyo-Kansai without having to pay extra, though she'll need to reserve a seat?
What rail pass does she have? She may consider it worthwhile to get a 7-day JR pass that covers the whole country for that trip. The pass will cost about the same as the trip from Osaka to Tokyo and back to Osaka.

I have other friends who are just staying in Tokyo. They plan on getting JR East passes for NRT-Tokyo/Tokyo transport/Tokyo-NRT.
Not worth it unless they plan some longer distance travel on the JR East network.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by jib71
What rail pass does she have? She may consider it worthwhile to get a 7-day JR pass that covers the whole country for that trip. The pass will cost about the same as the trip from Osaka to Tokyo and back to Osaka.
She doesn't have a pass yet. She's flying into KIX, spending time with another friend, including a trip to Tokyo (though mostly in/around Osaka), then she goes back to Tokyo to meet me for her last couple of days in Japan before returning to KIX for the flight home.
She's doing something like KIX-Osaka (2 days)-Tokyo (2-3 days)-Osaka (~7 days)-Tokyo (2 days)-KIX.

Not worth it unless they plan some longer distance travel on the JR East network.
The one I recommended the JR East pass to is staying in a Narita hotel and is heading into Tokyo each day for a week.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:49 am

She's doing something like KIX-Osaka (2 days)-Tokyo (2-3 days)-Osaka (~7 days)-Tokyo (2 days)-KIX.
OK - So it's one KIX-Osaka roundtrip and two Osaka-Tokyo round trips.
14-day JR pass might be worthwhile and simple - and covers any other trips she may wish to make.
If she really wants to minimize costs and the only long distance travel is what you've described, she could time things to fit at least three legs of the Osaka-Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo-Osaka travel within 7 days.
The one I recommended the JR East pass to is staying in a Narita hotel and is heading into Tokyo each day for a week.
What a drag. I'd recommend staying in Tokyo.

Last edited by jib71; Aug 25, 2013 at 2:55 am
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by jib71
What a drag. I'd recommend staying in Tokyo.
So did I. Though Narita is cheaper then Tokyo and Tokyo hotels are 92% booked out for the time we'll all be there with basically just the $600+/night rooms left

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.