Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:25 pm

JR West introduced online ticket reservations in English in mid-march March for the following regions
https://faq.westjr.co.jp/en/faq_deta...ge=500&id=9988
Which regions can be booked on the JR WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION?

You can book the following trains on the JR WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION:
The Sanyo/Kyushu Shinkansen (Shin-Osaka~Kagoshima-Chuo), Hokuriku Shinkansen (Kanazawa~Tokyo), along with the Express and Limited Express trains (including certain Rapid Express lines) on the JR West Japan, JR Shikoku, JR Kyushu, and the JR Tokai areas, as well as the JR East Japan regional Shinkansen, Limited Express, Rapid Express lines.
For tickets that cannot be reserved on the JR WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION website, please purchase them directly at the station ticket counter.
Special Discounted Tickets including JR West Pass will be offered from May 21, 2019 (bottom of page)
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/overview/
I hope this means that regional pass holders will be able to make online seat reservations 30 days in advance. This would be is incredibly nice for tourist "Joyfull Trains" like SL Yamaguchi which is currently sold out for the next month except the last weekend. Not sure if it will also offer Machine Pickup. I believe it non-pass users can already purchase these ticket & seat res. online (reservations available in JP for a long time but finally offered in English). The documentation notes that some of the machines in certain stations will accept a passport "Passengers receiving Special Discounted Tickets from a ticketing machine will need a passport with an IC chip."

Also note Haruka & Icoca discount pass currently requires a stop into the office to talk to a human & payment in cash, even if you buy the reserve the pass online. The delay might not be worth the hassle for one-way KIX-> Shin-Osaka as the discount if just 330 yen for a non-reserved seat and frequency is only twice an hour. Round trip via Icoca & Haruka pass would effectively be 2,000 yen which might make it worthwhile for some without an eligible JR Pass staying away from Namba or airport bus stop.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
It's been very helpful to read through this thread – very helpful as we planned our trip!

We have one graduating from college and one from high school this year and our family of five voted to celebrate with a trip to Japan in early July.

We all arrive on the same day, but my wife, daughter and I arrive at Narita from the US and the two oldest (boys) arrive at Haneda after traveling in China.

Here’s our schedule:
Day 1 – PM arrivals, airport to hotel near Shinjuku
Days 2-4 – Tokyo
Day 5 – Wife, daughter and I to Osaka (Universal Studio, daughter’s request), boys head to climb Mt. Fuji with local tour company (transportation from Tokyo included)
Day 6 – All meet in Kyoto late afternoon/early evening
Days 7-8 – Kyoto
Day 9-Travel to Kagoshima, jet foil to Yakushima
Days 10-11 – Yakushima
Day 12 – Back to Tokyo via jet foil/train
Day 13 – All to Narita for late afternoon flight back to the US

Planning on 14-day pass for my wife, daughter and me, and a 7-day pass for the boys (activating in Kyoto). We plan to get the Green Pass mostly due to the longer rides and the celebratory nature of the trip.

Questions:
  • Kyoto to Kagoshima is on a Friday and Kagoshima to Tokyo is on a Monday – are those heavier travel days? Will activating the JR pass two days prior to the Kyoto-Kagoshima be ok for the boys (in terms of making a reservation)?
  • Is early/mid-July a busy time for travel via train? I haven’t really seen much saying that it is…
  • HyperDia gives quite a few routing options for Kagoshima-Tokyo – better to change in Kobe, Osaka or another station? Does it make a difference?
Appreciate any other suggestions or thoughts!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:34 pm

Sounds like a great trip for you all ckjmglee, so enjoy!

One quick note for you worth considering; as much as I love riding the shinkansen, a trip from Kagoshima to Tokyo using a JR Pass (no Nozomi or Mizuho) will take at least 8 hours.

You might want to consider changing your JR Pass to 7 days and flying from KOJ to HND using either the ANA Experience Japan rate (~$100, https://aswbe-i.ana.co.jp/internatio...ND=ESP&LANG=en) or the JAL Explorer Pass (~$100, https://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en...r/reservation/). It's a 1hr 45min flight, plus airport transfer time, but not all flights offer this deeply discounted rate.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Normally I am a train guy all the way but I have to agree here. I'd either break up the Kagoshima-Tokyo trip with a stop-over partway or fly. Even I would find that long rail trip tedious. Perhaps a night or two at Fukuoka(Hakata) or Hiroshima.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Depending on the time of your flight home, you could fly Yakushima-Fukuoka-Narita and allow yourself an extra day on Yakushima island.

Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by BeachRat
One quick note for you worth considering; as much as I love riding the shinkansen, a trip from Kagoshima to Tokyo using a JR Pass (no Nozomi or Mizuho) will take at least 8 hours.

You might want to consider changing your JR Pass to 7 days and flying from KOJ to HND using either the ANA Experience Japan rate (~$100, https://aswbe-i.ana.co.jp/internatio...ND=ESP&LANG=en) or the JAL Explorer Pass (~$100, https://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en...r/reservation/). It's a 1hr 45min flight, plus airport transfer time, but not all flights offer this deeply discounted rate.
Thanks BeachRat and abmj-jr.

I called ANA and unfortunately, the Experience Japan/Discover Japan fare is blocked out from July 1 through Aug 31. JAL flights (7am or 9am only) leave too early on Monday given that the first ferry doesn't arrive in Kagoshima until 9:30am.

It's intriguing to break up the end of the trip differently. The boys and I have stopped in Tokyo three times previously and absolutely enjoyed our 5am Sushi breakfasts at Tsujiki (and now Toyosu). It's one of the few reasons in life that they'll get up early and it's where we'll be during our first days in Japan...

Having said that and the need to be at Narita no later than 2:00pm on Tuesday, is there a stop in between that will indulge our Sushi cravings and make it more palatable to get to Narita by 2pm on Tuesday?

Last edited by ckjmglee; Apr 25, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Depending on the time of your flight home, you could fly Yakushima-Fukuoka-Narita and allow yourself an extra day on Yakushima island.
Thanks jib71.

We'd love to spend more time at Yakushima, but unfortunately we'll need to be at Narita by 2pm. Also, my wife prefers a lower stress, leisurely pace so we'll need to get part of the way there the night before...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> I called ANA and unfortunately, the Experience Japan/Discover Japan fare is blocked out from July 1 through Aug 31.

ANA Experience Japan Fare showing daily availability in July and August. Every Single Day. I randomly picked a few days, and seats are available on at least 7 or 8 of their 11 daily flights at the 10800 yen price.

These fares can only be booked online and not available by phone or through travel agents. No sure why you called.

" Reservation and purchase must be completed through ANA Website "
" When reserved or purchased through other channels - Not Permitted. "
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by ckjmglee
... Having said that and the need to be at Narita no later than 2:00pm on Tuesday, is there a stop in between that will indulge our Sushi cravings and make it more palatable to get to Narita by 2pm on Tuesday?
I can't speak for the sushi cravings but I think I'd select a stop-over at Okayama. There are several nice things to see that afternoon and some decent places to eat dinner. There are shinkansens at 7:33 am and 8:26 am that would get you to NRT in your time frame.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
>> I called ANA and unfortunately, the Experience Japan/Discover Japan fare is blocked out from July 1 through Aug 31.

ANA Experience Japan Fare showing daily availability in July and August. Every Single Day. I randomly picked a few days, and seats are available on at least 7 or 8 of their 11 daily flights at the 10800 yen price.

These fares can only be booked online and not available by phone or through travel agents. No sure why you called.

" Reservation and purchase must be completed through ANA Website "
" When reserved or purchased through other channels - Not Permitted. "
I suspect he's looking at Monday, July 15, which is Marine Day, and only has early morning ANA and JAL flights available at the lower rate...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:44 pm

Thanks beep88.

The first ferry doesn't arrive until 9:30am and with transfers, it's probably best that we take a flight after noon. Those flights are all $200 per person, slightly less than the difference between a 7-day and 14-day JR Green pass. It might be more convenient, but it might also be more fun to visit a new place and break up the trip on the way back. I'll have to ask the family. My oldest would kill for any city or place that served high quality beef - he's already trying to get us to go to an all you can eat Wagyu place that he read about in Tokyo...

Okayama does look interesting!

Also, I called ANA as they list a "Visit Japan fare" that uses lower cost vouchers. For these fares, the website says, " Please contact ANA reservation centers outside of Japan or your travel agent for reservation and purchasing tickets.(These fares cannot be purchased online)." Had I seen the blackout dates, I wouldn't have called...

BeachRat is correct, it Monday July 15th.

Appreciate the help!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Best way to make reservation using Green Japan pass!

Do I need to go to a station each time to reserve a seat or can I do this online ahead of time? Thank you.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mphall
Do I need to go to a station each time to reserve a seat or can I do this online ahead of time? Thank you.
There is a limited ability to advance reserve JR East tickets, but you still have to go to a ticket office no later than the night before travel to pick up the tickets. You even have to specify in advance which ticket office you will go to! In other words, it's not a very useful service.

The app for JR Central/West might be better, I don't know, I've never tried it.

https://smart-ex.jp/en/
mphall likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There is a limited ability to advance reserve JR East tickets, but you still have to go to a ticket office no later than the night before travel to pick up the tickets. You even have to specify in advance which ticket office you will go to! In other words, it's not a very useful service.
I find this far better than nothing, especially when you really need it traveling on a crowded route or around a holiday within a day or two after arrival.

You can also make all your Green Pass Seat reservations in a single shot at a midori no madoguchi. Just be organized about it (spreadsheet with ride date, start station & time, end station & time, train name and number) and don't try it during rush hour. The JR Travel Office where you exchange your pass may only take your first seat reservation and you'll need to go to a midori no madoguchi office to complete the rest. Go to midori no madoguchi for more complex bookings like upgrading to Gran Class or routings which include non-JR track (requires surcharge).

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The app for JR Central/West might be better, I don't know, I've never tried it.

https://smart-ex.jp/en/
The JR Central Smart-Ex app isn't compatible with JR Passes. It only sells tickets with both the base fare + seat reservation. Smart-ex will allow you to link a single ticket to an IC Card which spits out the seat reservation as a single rider enters the Shinkansen area ticket gate. If you link Smart-Ex to a credit card for multiple tickets you have to get the ticket slips from a machine before entering the Shinkansen ticket gate.

JR West ticket reservation website may allow JR Pass seat reservations after late May according to their webpage.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Based on the costs, a 7-day JR pass is borderline and 14-day pass is no way.
I looked at all my large train costs in Green Cars....

Shinagawa to Odawara roundtrip - 8660
Shinagawa to Nagoya - 14470
Nagoya to Kyoto - 8030
Kyoto to Shin-Kobe - 4090
Kobe to Tennoji (via Shin-Osaka) - 4000
Beach day - Shinagawa to Hase (part non-JR) - 910
Shonan-Enoshima to Shinagawa (part non-JR) - 1720

Not getting a JR pass would also open up using Nozomi and other lines instead of forcing myself to ride JR.

Last edited by Busymann; May 17, 2019 at 3:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.