Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Originally Posted by aster
I am heading to Japan for a short trip with friends, flying into NRT with 3-4 days in Tokyo (I guess we'll be using the subway quite a bit), then hoping to take the bullet train to Osaka and about 2 nights there before flying out of Japan from Osaka Kansai airport instead of returning to Tokyo.

Would it make financial sense to get one of these passes or should I just get a Tokyo subway pass for the 3-4 days and then a single-trip ticket for the train to Osaka (and again a local transport pass once there)?
hyperdia site is your best friend in figuring out the cost of your travel. As many have said earlier if you are on a one-way NRT-Tokyo-Osaka path then the JR pass will not be cost effective. You will be better off with buying the tickets individually or using that japanican one of the above posters suggested.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Thanks to all your suggestions my trip has been successful. I bought the JR pass but with in Kyoto and Tokyo I bought one day tickets which met my travel. Hikari worked quite alright for me and even though I reserved seats with in the hour of departure, the cars were almost empty. I guess it helps I was travelling in the late morning hours.

Kyoto was like a steamer last week and I made the mistake of walking the philosophers path (one way) on a sweltering day. If I had to do it again I will just visit the temples on the path either by taxi or some other means and not walk the path.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am heading to Japan for a short trip with friends, flying into NRT with 3-4 days in Tokyo (I guess we'll be using the subway quite a bit), then hoping to take the bullet train to Osaka and about 2 nights there before flying out of Japan from Osaka Kansai airport instead of returning to Tokyo.

Would it make financial sense to get one of these passes or should I just get a Tokyo subway pass for the 3-4 days and then a single-trip ticket for the train to Osaka (and again a local transport pass once there)?
It wouldn't make sense to get either a JR pass or a Tokyo subway pass. Use the N'Ex/Suica one way deal to get into Tokyo and get a cash card that will cover much of your travel within Tokyo, adding to it as necessary.

Then buy a one-way shinkansen ticket to Osaka.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It wouldn't make sense to get either a JR pass or a Tokyo subway pass. Use the N'Ex/Suica one way deal to get into Tokyo and get a cash card that will cover much of your travel within Tokyo, adding to it as necessary.

Then buy a one-way shinkansen ticket to Osaka.
Thanks - since I will be in Osaka for a few days as well, does it make a difference whether I get a Suica or Pasmo card? Will I be able to use either for public transport there as well? I take it both can be charged at the same ticket machines.

As for getting to Osaka I will take your advice and get a one-way shinkansen ticket.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
since I will be in Osaka for a few days as well, does it make a difference whether I get a Suica or Pasmo card?
I'd suggest getting the Narita Express + Suica combo at Narita airport.

You can use Suica in Osaka... The transit systems announced interoperability of cards recently. However, I think you might need to visit a JR East window to get the deposit refunded. (Not 100% sure about that - someone will correct me if I'm wrong). So I would suggest that you use all of the credit on the card in Tokyo and take it to a JR East window for a refund before you enter the Shinkansen area (which is JR Central territory) and jump on the train to Osaka (which is JR West territory).

Once you're in Osaka, you can get an ICOCA card for transit around Osaka.

On your last day, get a Kansai pass which costs 2,000 and covers the trip on the JR Haruka train to KIX.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I bought a 14 day JR pass to use all around southern Japan as daytrips.

With the way my itinerary is going, the JR pass will be fully utilized.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by jib71
I'd suggest getting the Narita Express + Suica combo at Narita airport.

On your last day, get a Kansai pass which costs 2,000 and covers the trip on the JR Haruka train to KIX.
That sounds perfect, thanks. ^ Is the green car worth it if I will probably be getting on the train around 11am?

As for the Kansai pass, would you recommend reserved seats for the Kansai Airport Express if my flight leaves at 11:30PM, so probably going to be on the train at around 8PM?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
No on green car. Just reserve a day or even a few hours ahead and you will be guaranteed a good seat. The green car seating is not so much better as to warrant the extra expense.

I think the Haruka to KIX is all reserved seats anyway so book ahead. If you know what train you want, just reserve it when you purchase the Kansai Pass.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
+1 on all of abmj's suggestions.

You can buy the Kansai pass ahead of time - and use it all day on the day that it's valid. It's not just for the train to the airport. So you might want to plan any activities that require JR trains on that day. Plan things that require a lot of subway rides on other days. It's not a big deal if you pay a couple of subway fares on the day you're using the Kansai pass, but you might as well squeeze as much as you can out of that 2,000 yen pass.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
...I think the Haruka to KIX is all reserved seats anyway so book ahead. If you know what train you want, just reserve it when you purchase the Kansai Pass.
Been down this road before. A significant portion of the Haruka is not reserved. The Kansai pass is only good on this unreserved portion.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
... The Kansai pass is only good on this unreserved portion.
Oops. I guess that shows that I always use the full JR Pass.

OP: Sorry for the bit of misinformation.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:29 pm

Where do you buy your JR passes? I was trying to buy at this site http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/j...pan-rail-pass# But for some reason it won't process my card. My bank says it's not my card it is the company/ service they use to process the transactions.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:55 pm

Nevermind :-) I saw an ad on here and bought from there, saved me $15 :-)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Once you're in Osaka, you can get an ICOCA card for transit around Osaka.

I think the SUICA card may also work in Osaka nowadays, no?

As for the Kensai pass, do I have to purchase it on the day of travel? Thing is I'll probably be taking the Shinkansen to Osaka on Saturday and then flying out late on Monday, so just wondering what the easiest way to get the pass (to use on Monday) would be...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I think the SUICA card may also work in Osaka nowadays, no?

As for the Kensai pass, do I have to purchase it on the day of travel? Thing is I'll probably be taking the Shinkansen to Osaka on Saturday and then flying out late on Monday, so just wondering what the easiest way to get the pass (to use on Monday) would be...
SUICA works around Osaka. It doesn't in Kobe, Hiroshima, and Kyoto.

I found a combo of JR Pass + SUICA was the best way to get around Japan,

- JR Pass for long-distance travels and JR city trains
- SUICA for the subway if it's closer to where you are and/or faster to use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.