Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proofobtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they livethat they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Old May 15, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Call them and ask. JTB is listed as an authorized dealer and is on the list I posted above.

As an aside, if one opts for a non-authorized dealer, I'd recommend being sure you understand all the terms and conditions. Refundability, restock fees, delivery charges, delivery method, etc.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:38 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

After having just used the JR Pass for the first time, my biggest gripe is the necessity to pass through the non-automatic gates. If only it could be preloaded into an IC card - such as Suica...

(naturally, a tangible ticket would still be needed for shinkansen/other trains, though why can't conductors just scan one's Suica/IC card to suss out the seat number/train name? Perhaps that's putting far too much confidence in the user.)
Old May 17, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
I plan to spend 7 days in Japan and arrive/leave at HND, not sure if JR Pass will work for all my plans and be worth it, been checking Hyperdia

- Tokyo Monorail - JR Pass
- Nikko - Will the JR Pass cover me here?
- Hakone - I can get to Hakone w/ JR Pass but the rest of the area I need a pass?
- Kyoto - Hikari JR Pass
- Arashiyama - Can i use JR pass for going around Kyoto?
- Nara - Can I use JR Pass here?
- Kyoto to Tokyo to HND - JR Pass covered
Old May 17, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by kzap
I plan to spend 7 days in Japan and arrive/leave at HND, not sure if JR Pass will work for all my plans and be worth it, been checking Hyperdia

- Tokyo Monorail - JR Pass
- Nikko - Will the JR Pass cover me here?

Yes. There are two routes, one of which is via JR

- Hakone - I can get to Hakone w/ JR Pass but the rest of the area I need a pass?

Correct. Or just pay cash as you go.

- Kyoto - Hikari JR Pass
- Arashiyama - Can i use JR pass for going around Kyoto?

It would not be much use. Better to get a Suica card for local
Tokyo and use it in Kyoto for subways and buses.

- Nara - Can I use JR Pass here?

yes. The JR local line goes to/from JR-Kyoto to JR-Nara.

- Kyoto to Tokyo to HND - JR Pass covered
In this case, the 7-day Rail Pass would pencil out. I'd get one. The local subways and train lines in Tokyo and Kyoto are better covered with a prepaid transit card like Suica.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:04 am

Thanks very much, that helps clarify some things, not everything is obvious via Hyperdia or Google Maps

do I pay for the other stuff using Cash, or should can I use my mastercard/visa or should I load up a prepaid card somewhere before using my credit card?

oh and is there a recommended place to order it, as it seems cheaper to order online vs my local travel agency

Last edited by kzap; May 17, 2017 at 7:21 am
Old May 17, 2017, 7:54 am

I'd just purchase a prepaid Suica card at HND at the same time I exchanged the Rail Pass. Once it has some money stored, you are good to go for subways and locals. You can even use it for convenience store purchases. The only thing is that you will need some cash to add more funds to the card if it runs low.

I always buy the Rail Pass from authorized dealers and have it send to my home via second day delivery. I've seen some unauthorized dealers offering somewhat lower rates but prefer to know who I am dealing with.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html
Old May 17, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
In this case, the 7-day Rail Pass would pencil out. I'd get one. The local subways and train lines in Tokyo and Kyoto are better covered with a prepaid transit card like Suica.
Just as a point of information, the JR San'in Main Line out of Kyoto Station does stop at Arashiyama, so it would be an option if the inquirer really wants to get the most out of the JR Pass.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ksandness
Just as a point of information, the JR San'in Main Line out of Kyoto Station does stop at Arashiyama, so it would be an option if the inquirer really wants to get the most out of the JR Pass.
Pretty sure I took this line from Kyoto to Saga-Arashiyama last week...even if this particular one doesn't stop at Arashiyama, at least one of the JR lines does.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:02 am

Is it worth it to combine the JR Pass with a 72 hour subway card if I am in Tokyo for 4 days?
Old May 18, 2017, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by kzap
Is it worth it to combine the JR Pass with a 72 hour subway card if I am in Tokyo for 4 days?
I suppose you could. But the Suica card is much more useful in and around Tokyo and also valid in Kyoto - and you can turn it in for a refund of remaining funds, less a small service fee, at the end of your trip. Suica will work anywhere the subway card will but the reverse is not true.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I suppose you could. But the Suica card is much more useful in and around Tokyo and also valid in Kyoto - and you can turn it in for a refund of remaining funds, less a small service fee, at the end of your trip. Suica will work anywhere the subway card will but the reverse is not true.
Right, the subway card works on ONE of the two subway lines, but not on the JR trains or the private surface commuter trains, and being unfamiliar with Tokyo, you cannot predict which forms of transport you will need. (I've lived in and have been traveling to Tokyo for forty years, and even I can't predict which forms of transport I will need during a stay.)

The Suica gives you maximum flexibility, since it is valid on all the forms of transportation that you are likely to use.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
Right, the subway card works on ONE of the two subway lines
I agree that the passes are rarely worthwhile, but there are subway passes that cover all the Toei Subway and Tokyo Metro lines.
http://us.jnto.go.jp/partners/featur...resid=744&news

The advice about the passes on Japan Guide is pretty good
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html#ticket
Old May 30, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
For the NEX, I heard I can transfer to any station on JR East line after getting off from NEX, Does it work other way around too? I can get on a JR east station then transfer to NEX using the NEX roundtrip ticket?
Old May 31, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by VoiD
For the NEX, I heard I can transfer to any station on JR East line after getting off from NEX, Does it work other way around too? I can get on a JR east station then transfer to NEX using the NEX roundtrip ticket?
There is Narita Express round trip discount fare which includes transfer to JR commuter trains within Tokyo Metropolitan area. This discount ticket has to be purchased as a round trip where this round trip discount ticket the return trip has to be made within 14 days and cost is 4,000 yen. This is the only Narita Express ticket I am aware where transfer to local JR commuter lines are included. Other types of Narita Express tickets do not include free transfer to local JR commuter lines.

If purchasing other types of Narita Express ticket at Narita Airport not using above round trip discount, then you can specify to a ticket agent where your final destination on JR line that day is. Then an agent at a ticket desk can issue one ticket which will include both Narita Express and additional commuter train ride after Narita Express. Or some time it will be two separate tickets. This case transfer to local JR commuter lines will be additional cost.

If you buy Narita Express ticket not using above discount to Tokyo station only, and did not specify that you are continuing on to other parts of Tokyo using JR line, then a ticket for Narita Express you got is only good till Tokyo station. Any journey beyond that requires purchasing on additional ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:45 am

On the way back from Kyoto to Haneda Airport,

both Hyperdia and Google Maps is telling me to either get off at Shin-Yokohama and take the limousine bus to Haneda Intl

or get off at Shinagawa and take the Keikyu line to Haneda Intl

Is either better or shorter?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.