Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Where can i find distilled water for Cpap?

Old Mar 13, 13, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I'm in Kyoto right now and I can't seem to find any distilled water for my cpap machine. I've been in a Lawson and another mini mart store but all i see is spring water. I've kept a eye out for pure water as well.

Anybody know any specific stores I can find distilled water at? I'm guessing 7/11 maybe?
Old Mar 13, 13, 8:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post
I'm in Kyoto right now and I can't seem to find any distilled water for my cpap machine. I've been in a Lawson and another mini mart store but all i see is spring water. I've kept a eye out for pure water as well.

Anybody know any specific stores I can find distilled water at? I'm guessing 7/11 maybe?
Have you tried any pharmacy (薬局, 薬屋)?
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I just use regular or bottled water for my Cpap lately and while I was in Japan. I know they tell you to use distilled to prevent buildups, but when I learned a new reservoir for my machine is only $23, I stopped caring about that so much.
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
The best (or only?) place to buy distilled (or DI) water in Japan is in autoparts stores or Home's in their small automotive section. (Home's is kind of like Home Depot). It costs about 300 yen for a two liter bottle. The call it battery [something in kanji] with battery written in katakana on the label (the purpose is to use it in non-sealed lead-acid batteries) and the bottle is normally blue. I buy quite a lot of it for steamers and humidifiers. It might be deionized rather than distilled because the kanji is definitely not 蒸留水。Ok, it's this 精製水, which is purified water. I also recall that it's sold as deionized in Yellow Hat written with ion in katakana, but I never bought it there.

In Tokyo close to "downtown" your best bet is Autobacs in Daikanyama. Ok, I see you are in Kyoto so that's not going to help.

Another big autoparts chain is Yellow Hat.

Ok. Your best bet in Kyoto is Yellow Hat. There is one just west of Kyoto station. Type イエローハット in Google Maps.

You are definitely not going to find it in a convenience store or a supermarket. A gas station might sell it a high price for a tiny bottle. Water is "mizu" but you use the chinese reading "sui" when it is in a combo word like the above. DI water is "ionkoukansui".

p.s. There is another Yellow Hat SW of Kyoto station (3 stops away) that is near a train station. (Mukomachi).

Last edited by gnaget; Mar 13, 13 at 10:50 am
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Have you tried any pharmacy (薬局, 薬屋)?
When I first tried to find distilled water, I was told that it was available at pharmacies with a prescription!!??! I never looked into it further.
Old Mar 13, 13, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
If you google the term in Japanese, one of the first ads is for a company that will deliver it to your house. Heck you can even buy distilled water on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3.../dp/B002QGCRGG

(4,000 yen for a 12-pack of 2-liter bottles)
Old Mar 13, 13, 8:11 pm

I think most pharmacies carry it. You can buy it without a prescription, but if you get a prescription then it's cheaper if you have national health insurance.
Old Mar 13, 13, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by joejones View Post
If you google the term in Japanese, one of the first ads is for a company that will deliver it to your house. Heck you can even buy distilled water on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3.../dp/B002QGCRGG

(4,000 yen for a 12-pack of 2-liter bottles)
I swear that this Aqua Rich product did not exist when I googled 2 years ago. My guess is that it is a post-Fukushima thing. Notice the certificate of non-radioactivity on the website. It looks they want you to drink it. Not a good idea with distilled or DI water.

But brick and mortar retail source, "battery water" from an autoparts store is your best bet -- unless you want to drink it, of course.

My guess is that the pharmacy stuff costs an arm and a leg? In the states you can buy a gallon of distilled water for like $1.19.
Old Mar 13, 13, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've never used distilled water in mine. I've been using the same reservoir for 14 years. Just clean it out every now and again.
Old Mar 13, 13, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
It looks they want you to drink it. Not a good idea with distilled or DI water.
Distilled water is fine to drink -- it just lacks the minerals that come with drinking water (as well as the fluoride etc. that comes with tap water) so it is arguably not as healthy. There are some places that lack fresh water where everyone has to drink distilled.
Old Mar 13, 13, 11:53 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Distilled water is fine to drink -- it just lacks the minerals that come with drinking water (as well as the fluoride etc. that comes with tap water) so it is arguably not as healthy. There are some places that lack fresh water where everyone has to drink distilled.
It is not unhealthy to drink but tastes lousy. Flat, flavorless and not very satisfying to quench the thirst. On the other hand, if all other sources of water are contaminated ...
Old Mar 14, 13, 5:52 am

Programs: HH, BD
Distilled water is fine to drink -- it just lacks the minerals that come with drinking water (as well as the fluoride etc. that comes with tap water) so it is arguably not as healthy.
I have read that if that's all you drink, you may end up with some mineral deficiencies.
Old Mar 14, 13, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
If you're gonna need it for years and years, a home distiller unit might be a more cost-effective solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Distille.../dp/B00026F9F8
Old Mar 14, 13, 7:25 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
If you're gonna need it for years and years, a home distiller unit might be a more cost-effective solution.
Yeehaw.
Old Mar 14, 13, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
I have read that if that's all you drink, you may end up with some mineral deficiencies.
That's what I was hinting at. Especially if you exercise a lot it can be quite dangerous. It could actually kill you.
Random from the internet but I think valid: http://www.mercola.com/article/water...lled_water.htm

If you are in a developing country then you typically drink spring (mineral) water or filtered (typically reverse osmosis). It's not common to use distilled water in lieu of tap water. The Aqua Rich stuff is probably for the radioactivity-phobia fringe that thinks that everything in Japan is contaminated including the ubiquitous Asahi/Kirin/Suntory mineral water (Fuji-san sourced) that you can buy for 80 yen per 2 liter bottle by the case.

The German Embassy is probably supplied by Aqua Rich.

I guess some people in the States drink it since it's sold in the bottled water aisle. Getting distilled water in Europe is also a problem. Based on the anti-freeze specs from European car makers they appear to expect that people dilute it with tap water (therefor phosphate free). Tap water is very hard in many places in Europe. In the US most people use distilled water to dilute anti-freeze. (At least I do.)

Japanese tap water is pretty soft. Factory fill Japanese anti-freeze (typically dyed red) is very high phosphate (for corrosion inhibition). But it precipitates with hard water and would be be disaster to mix with hard tap water. Since they don't sell distilled water for anti-freeze dilution then it is essential to mix it with soft water in Japan. I would use the "battery water" sold in autoparts stores, but my guess is that nobody does this. The Japanese don't do their own car maintenance anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: