Reload this Page >

NRT-HND Connection time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-HND Connection time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

When is OP going to fly this?

Please be reminded PVG (or any airport in China) is known to be having delays due to air traffic control or military exercises. When combine with the foggy March - April it's not fun at all.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
My flight is on march 30th (sat).... What impact will this have?
Lol it seems like the overall verdict is the limo bus...... Haven't booked the flight yet... But need to pull the trigger on something soon
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:47 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
MCT for an int'l-int'l NRT-HND transfer is 3.5 hours, so the OP has a legal connection. Assuming this was booked as a single ticket through JL, they should protect you should you be delayed or otherwise end up with less than the MCT.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Actually these would be completely separate tickets.....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jchacko2
Haven't booked the flight yet... But need to pull the trigger on something soon
Actually these would be completely separate tickets.....
If these are separate tickets, you will be completely screwed in the (decently likely) event that something gets delayed and/or otherwise goes awry. I'd never recommend your plan under any circumstances, though it would be a legal connection on a single ticket, but would strongly advise against it with separate tickets.

Is there any reason why you can't use one of the numerous SHA-HND nonstops? NH, JL, MU, and CA all offer these, and any of them would be a much, much better option than PVG-NRT-[bus]-HND. As an added bonus, SHA is much more convenient than PVG as well.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 am
Original Poster

I should have stated that this journey starts in bkk
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Even more reason not to do this, then. Two connections that you have the potential to miss.

No way to get your whole trip on the same ticket?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
You really, really need to get this onto one ticket. If that's absolutely not possible, at the very least, get a BKK-NRT nonstop to avoid dealing with Chinese ATC delays and another connection, and give yourself a significantly longer buffer than 3.5 hrs to do the NRT-HND transfer. Or, better yet, just do a BKK-HND nonstop.

Last edited by Scifience; Jan 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

I hope that you know PVG does not support airside transit except selected *A flight onward to and from EU.... Meaning you have to go to landslide and recheck the luggage.......
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Do not pull the trigger and book this itinerary. i agree with the dire possibility of delays at pvg causing a late arrival at NRT. have you thought of the worst case scenario? you could be stuck at haneda, having missed the NH flight, at the mercy of an airport agent who is not obligated in any way to do anything to help you. avoid the possibility of this scenario, and if you have to, get into tokyo a day earlier and have a stress free day and enjoy the city, then enjoy your NH flight after that.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

LOL oh man how did this discussion go from balanced overwhelmingly not possible... lol

Ok - One more point.. im going to be at NRT on March 15th two weeks before spending a week in Japan...can i buy my limobus ticket then for the 30th? It would avoid another step along the way lol..

I checked flight aware... The flight into NRT tends to arrive early... and the actual duration is oversated on the schedule.

I agree - This is a ridiculous idea and not exactly stress free but things to note.

I'am a seasoned traveller throughout NA,Asia,and Europe... maybe we can look at this as a tryout for the amazing race

I will be sure to post l live ipad updates along the way.....

I heard the cutoff at HND fairly lienient as well.. i know.. all this hinges on me actually getting to NRT on time...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
LOL oh man how did this discussion go from balanced overwhelmingly not possible... lol
I remain non-doom & gloom about it all. While I would suggest the bus now rather than my original suggestion of the train, I think it's workable, but tight if anything goes wrong. Solution? Travel insurance: it's what it's there for.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:46 pm

It is possible, but only if absolutely everything goes right. That's just a risk many of us aren't comfortable with taking unless there are really no alternatives.

Ok - One more point.. im going to be at NRT on March 15th two weeks before spending a week in Japan...can i buy my limobus ticket then for the 30th?
As far as I know, it's not possible to buy a limousine bus ticket until the day of travel. However, the line at the counter is rarely more than one or two people deep and moves very quickly; I've never spent more than two or three minutes getting a bus ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I remain non-doom & gloom about it all. While I would suggest the bus now rather than my original suggestion of the train, I think it's workable, but tight if anything goes wrong. Solution? Travel insurance: it's what it's there for.
I'm liking this positivity!

I'll try to get my bearings from the ticket counter to where I get to the bus when I first arrive on the 15th. Is it far? I've only ever taken the Narita express in so clueless on bus transpo.

Second - I'm 90 percent sure but China Eastern would fly into T2?

Thanks all!

Oh.. and im being serious about the updates via ipad during the route.. so stay tuned haha
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I remain non-doom & gloom about it all.
In this case, I can't say that I disagree with the naysayers' pessimism. I'm not denying that it could go without a hitch. However, I know that, in the OP's place, I'd rather be on a single PNR for the entire itin. And I'd prefer to take the non-stop flight from BKK to HND (TG660) that lands at HND at 10:30pm than the oddball route via PVG and NRT.

What's the point of taking this route? Is it price? The route via PVG could be cheaper. But when you consider the cost of missing the connection at HND (modified by whatever you think the risk might be of something going wrong at any one of the steps along the way (10%? 20%?)) ... you gotta ask yourself "Do I feel lucky?"

Well do ya?

That's not how I travel unless I have to. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.