Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Seeking Tokyo wheelchair accessible hotel for family of four!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Tokyo wheelchair accessible hotel for family of four!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
It's just my opinion, but I think meet and greet service is unnecessary - The lesson I take from Jen's post is that wheelchair users should buy tickets from a human being rather than from a machine, to ensure that the ticket is for a specific location on the train that's suitable for wheelchairs. After that, JR will provide an attendant to assist with boarding the train, so I think a meet and greet person is overkill. Of course, YMMV.
Regarding trains, we were mistaken to believe that Narita Express is similar to the local trains around Tokyo (Yamanote, Subways, private lines); those are mostly standing room only with wide doors & therefore easy to access for a wheelchair user. Narita Express is like the long distance trains, with assigned seats and no open spaces; WheelieFlyer should therefore make sure to reserve a wheelchair space on that train (and this can only be done at the reservation office). Other local trains in Tokyo will be fine; you can use a Suica card like everybody else.

Regarding meet and greet at Narita, I don't think it's a bad idea. From the airport, there's no elevator all the way to the rail concourse area. You have to take an elevator to the lowest floor of the airport, and then roll down a pretty steep ramp to the rail concourse. We came up that way, and my boyfriend had to haul our luggage up, and then return to push me. With 2 little kids and a lot of luggage, having some assistance may not be a bad idea.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
No one has mentioned the Park Hyatt yet but I have never been in any regular room or entry level suite there -- and I've been in a lot of them! -- that wasn't accessible except for the bathtub (the separate shower is). There are wide sliding doors leading into the bathroom. However, you would have to check with management to see if they'd let you all stay in one room (most rooms have two double beds but posted capacity is 3 adults).
Don't worry about what you've seen in standard rooms or suites. None of that will be ideal for a paralyzed person. An accessible room is designed for our needs, and if WheelieFlyer reserves it, it'll be fine regardless of what features standard rooms may or may not have.

I briefly mentioned the Park Hyatt, which we had considered for our stay, but rejected based on location/difficulty of getting to. There's an advantage to be right on top of a major train or subway station instead of having to deal with taxis/hotel shuttles.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
More great information - thank you all.

With respect to the discussion about the FS rooms - the floor plan I was sent seems to be a modified version of the Premier Room floor plan on the website. The layout is basically the same, except the bathroom doors are wider (80cm into the bathroom, 82cm into the toilet). The shower is not accessible but the tub is. It is a King and my understanding is that they have just one accessible room and this is it. Based on the measurement I think it will work. My only concern is that the bedroom seems too small to fit a rollaway but, worst case, we can all four squash onto the bed. It does raise the question - is a Japanese King bed comparable to a US King bed?

Thanks for the tip about the Narita Express. I will make sure to buy my ticket from a human! I saw that the 4S offered meet and greet and was wondering whether it was worth it. Might go for it as we will be pretty tired and if the kids are fractious it compounds the difficulty of navigating in a strange airport and a strange city.

I had rejected the Park Hyatt as I had read in a different thread that it was difficult to get to/from.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:08 pm
In memoriam

If it's the same bed as in the Deluxe Premier Room - it's a regular US king sized bed.

With your kids being young - and probably small - might make sense to bring a couple of inflatable beds with you (and a pump - unless you have great lungs ). That way - you'll have more space in the room during the day. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.